Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Tuesday April 8, 2014 1919 World Series action shot Buck Weaver Black Sox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I came across this action shot that I have not seen previously. This is a shot of Heinie Groh of the Cincinnati Reds sliding under White Sox third baseman Buck Weaver's tag in the 8th inning of game one from the infamous 1919 World Series. The player backing up the play is White Sox pitcher Grover Lowdermilk who was the brother of another Major Leaguer, Lou. The unpire appears to be baseball Hall of Famer Billy Evans but I am unable to confirm this. I do know he worked the series but am unsure what base he worked in game 1. I am sure one of our baseball detectives will look this up for me.

This World Series became famous because of the actions of these White Sox players and nice action shots from this series are hard to come by.

I hope you enjoy today's Photo of the Day.

Photo-1919-152BlackSox20Dtl_zps9fc06e91.jpg

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
In game one, Billy Evans was the 1B ump, Dick Nallin at second, Ernie Quigley at third and Cy Rigler at home

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
You sure it's Groh in the 8th, in the 8th of that game he walked and then was forced at second for the third out...

The pitcher Ruether tripled in a run, could that be him sliding into third during his triple?

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
You sure it's Groh in the 8th, in the 8th of that game he walked and then was forced at second for the third out...

The pitcher Ruether tripled in a run, could that be him sliding into third during his triple?

It could be. The slug I was reading mentioned Groh but they have been known to be wrong.

As for how I can tell who is what...this is what is called a wire photo which was sent out to all the news papers of that time and the photos would always have a caption on the back, known as a "slug" which told who was who and when the play happened. Without the slug it would be very tough to tell who was who in this photo.

Members online

Latest posts