Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collector Contest FINALS

Who has the "better" player collection?

• LWMM (Jonny Gomes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
jaderock said:
Between the 2 collections:

Congrats to onionring9...his collection is amazing considering how highly sought after McGwire's stuff was (is?). His website with help of other looney McGwire collectors is a valuable resource and collection of like minded die hard collectors!

The Gomes collector has a good Game Used collection, but the overall scope of it just doesn't do it for me. If a GU Auto batting glove goes unsold for $30, then the collection falls under an "excellent budget collection".

---

There are other collections that were not part of this contest that could easily give anyone a run for their money.

IMO, the collections that have stood the test of time IMO are The RyanL24 collections, LJ collection, Bonderman Collection (up to 2008 or so) and Mark Brunell Collection.

For the obscure player collectors try Matt Ware and Amos Zereoue.

You're seriously trying to knock people's collection for the players they collect? Try getting game used items of lesser know players, try it. Try finding minor league jerseys, bats and other items from players who have very little big league time.

Anyone can find items from long time starters like the player you collect but a guy like Gomes has fewer items available because people simply won't list them. Plus there are several collections on this board that weren't entered into this years contest that would continue to leave people in awe, like the Eric Chavez collection, Troy Glaus collection, Will Clark collections and the Scott Rolen.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
ronfromfresno said:
jaderock said:

Congrats to onionring9...his collection is amazing considering how highly sought after McGwire's stuff was (is?). His website with help of other looney McGwire collectors is a valuable resource and collection of like minded die hard collectors!

The Gomes collector has a good Game Used collection, but the overall scope of it just doesn't do it for me. If a GU Auto batting glove goes unsold for $30, then the collection falls under an "excellent budget collection".

---

There are other collections that were not part of this contest that could easily give anyone a run for their money.

IMO, the collections that have stood the test of time IMO are The RyanL24 collections, LJ collection, Bonderman Collection (up to 2008 or so) and Mark Brunell Collection.

You're seriously trying to knock people's collection for the players they collect? Try getting game used items of lesser know players, try it. Try finding minor league jerseys, bats and other items from players who have very little big league time.

Anyone can find items from long time starters like the player you collect but a guy like Gomes has fewer items available because people simply won't list them. Plus there are several collections on this board that weren't entered into this years contest that would continue to leave people in awe, like the Eric Chavez collection, Troy Glaus collection, Will Clark collections and the Scott Rolen.

I'm not reading his post as harshly as others. I don't feel he is necessarily bashing the Gomes collection, I just think he could have reworded what he said. As someone who collects both obscure and HOF, it is more difficult to find Matheny items compared to some Ozzie items but the nice thing is when they do come up they are significantly cheaper.

Now, I don't know Jaderock personally but I do agree with him on some of what he said. I find the Gomes collection very nice but this was an absolute no brainer in my opinion and I would love to know why those people that voted against the McGwire collection voted the way they did.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Mozzie22 said:
ronfromfresno said:
jaderock said:

---

I'm not reading his post as harshly as others. I don't feel he is necessarily bashing the Gomes collection, I just think he could have reworded what he said. As someone who collects both obscure and HOF, it is more difficult to find Matheny items compared to some Ozzie items but the nice thing is when they do come up they are significantly cheaper.

Now, I don't know Jaderock personally but I do agree with him on some of what he said. I find the Gomes collection very nice but this was an absolute no brainer in my opinion and I would love to know why those people that voted against the McGwire collection voted the way they did.

My reaction was not just about jaderock's comments regarding my collection, but really his tone regarding all those in the contest, including Onionring's. To me, the post came across as saying "nice collections, but these ones (including mine) are better".

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
LWMM said:
Mozzie22 said:
ronfromfresno said:
jaderock said:

---

My reaction was not just about jaderock's comments regarding my collection, but really his tone regarding all those in the contest, including Onionring's. To me, the post came across as saying "nice collections, but these ones (including mine) are better".

Ya I don't really get it. We all put a lot of time into our collections and collect who/what we like. Why the need to bash each other?

Dec 10, 2008
LWMM said:
To me, the post came across as saying "nice collections, but these ones (including mine) are better".
This.

The appropriate time to express his opinions would have been by voting in the contest. Not after it was over. It's also in good taste to explain why you are voting for someone, not why you are not voting for the other.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Mozzie22 said:
ronfromfresno said:
jaderock said:

---

I voted for the Gomes collection because I collect both Will Clark and a ton of lesser know players. I know what it takes to get 2000+ Will Clark cards and what type of money it would take me to get the other 2000+. But to see a collection of a lesser know player, like Gomes, that is so complete and includes so many game used items is insane. Like I posted earlier, try obtaining game used items of a player like Gomes. They are hard to find, you have to track down team trainers and clubhouse guys. Call and e-mail random people in teams front offices to get a connection to folks selling jerseys, bats, helmets, ect... It's a tough process to find so many game used items, that's why I envy the Zambrano collection as well. To each their own, I respect the McGwire collections, I think they are fantastic but to me the amount of game used items pushed my vote to the Gomes collection.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Mark McGwire Museum said:
LWMM said:
To me, the post came across as saying "nice collections, but these ones (including mine) are better".
This.

The appropriate time to express his opinions would have been by voting in the contest. Not after it was over. It's also in good taste to explain why you are voting for someone, not why you are not voting for the other.

I don't see a difference. For example, if you voted for Gomes because you valued his GU items then you are essentially saying you didn't vote for McGwire because the GU items weren't there. I don't know either of these two gents but I do know they have awesome collections, I'm simply wondering what it was about the Gomes collection that persuaded some to vote for him? Was it the GU items? Was it the serial numbered cards? Hell, do they like the team he plays for better? It could be any number of things and I'm just wondering.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
ronfromfresno said:
Mozzie22 said:
ronfromfresno said:
jaderock said:

---

I voted for the Gomes collection because I collect both Will Clark and a ton of lesser know players. I know what it takes to get 2000+ Will Clark cards and what type of money it would take me to get the other 2000+. But to see a collection of a lesser know player, like Gomes, that is so complete and includes so many game used items is insane. Like I posted earlier, try obtaining game used items of a player like Gomes. They are hard to find, you have to track down team trainers and clubhouse guys. Call and e-mail random people in teams front offices to get a connection to folks selling jerseys, bats, helmets, ect... It's a tough process to find so many game used items, that's why I envy the Zambrano collection as well. To each their own, I respect the McGwire collections, I think they are fantastic but to me the amount of game used items pushed my vote to the Gomes collection.

This is exactly the sort of response I was hoping for. It was well thought out and explained and it is appreciated. This is why I love this place. Player collectors are so diverse on who they collect and why. I could not agree more about the lesser known players, I picked up a card numbered to 50 of Matheny the other day and felt like I snagged an Aqueous Ozzie! :lol:

Dec 10, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
Mark McGwire Museum said:
LWMM said:
This.

I don't see a difference.....

Are you serious??? You honestly can say you don't think it's in better taste to describe what you do like about something, rather than what you do not like about the alternative?

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
I just wondered if other player collectors are looney or is it just McGwire collectors. I might need to seek professional help.

Members online

Latest posts