Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pujols rejects offer ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
That wont happen if Albert leaves it will be to
NY/Boston or Chicago
If Kansas City was smart they would sign him
and he could turn that franchise around.
Besides even if they sucked with pujols
the owners could sell the team for quadruple of current value :lol:

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
He isnt going to Boston or New York.
Besides the fact that they have nowhere to put him Boston doesnt give anyone a 10 year deal.
The Yankees have nowhere to put him either, unless he can move back to third or play a corner outfield spot. And besides that, after the ARod deal, there is no way they are going to turn around and give another player a similar deal.
Its not happening.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
elmalo said:
Besides the fact that they have nowhere to put him Boston doesnt give anyone a 10 year deal.
The Yankees have nowhere to put him either, unless he can move back to third or play a corner outfield spot. And besides that, after the ARod deal, there is no way they are going to turn around and give another player a similar deal.
Its not happening.
So the Yankees could not use him as a DH or even at first then. hummmmmm interesting take on this. :D

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
elmalo said:
Its not happening.

It's not just Boston. No team will sign Albert for 10 years/$300 mil.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
You people have small minds
Boston and NY will pay that for him Tex would be a DH
In Boston Adrian would be moved as well
In a market that big he would mostly pay for himself
in jersey sales. The only name bigger than Albert is Jeter(jury still
out on that one :lol: ) Outside of baseball people know very few names
Albert is one that everyone even in the Cajun outback cabins have heard of

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
I can see it now... Matt laporta, err wait, I mean Jesus Montero (or is it Chuck Norris?) for Winnie the Poohjols!

This discussion is a moot point at this time. 2 days worth of negotiations is a lifetime compared to 11:59 draft deadline signings. One rejection is the obvious first play in this chess match. Also, see NYY and Jeter for how this will probably play out.

This situation is good for StL. It puts them in the spotlight and as long as they are intelligent enough to put pen to paper, fans rejoice and more memorabilia and tickets fly out the door.

Adversely, if it doesn't work out... Well, whether or not that is in the team's best interest won't be easily erased from the casual fan's mind. They would basically HAVE to win the Pennant and possibly the WS to regain/add to the fan base. As we have seen in the NFL, with Roethlisberger/Vick, fans have short term memory loss when they're squads performing.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Skorris CCBC said:
I'm not blaming the owners one bit, but the uniformed, ignorant fans sure will.

I don't mind if Pujols leaves.

I'm reserving judgement on blame, but I DO mind if Pujols leaves. You don't let Babe Ruth walk. You don't let the player who will most likely go down as the greatest of all time walk. You just don't do it. And if you do, it will never be forgotten. I don't want that for St. Louis.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Exactly Sam thats what I am trying to say
This is a once in a lifetime player this could potentially hurt the
Cardinals for many years Especially if he goes to Chicago
Anyone remember Lou Brock?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
craiger122003 said:
Exactly Sam thats what I am trying to say
This is a once in a lifetime player this could potentially hurt the
Cardinals for many years Especially if he goes to Chicago
Anyone remember Lou Brock?

Even if the contract does end up screwing the Cardinals toward the end of it, what's a few years of a bad contract compared to 10 years of not having Pujols at all?

I'd much rather have Pujols locked up for 10 and a few bad years in there, than not have Pujols for any of those 10.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Also Sam this just in
Alberts agent has told other teams that
STL has no chance of signing Albert before
Free Agency :evil: :evil: Oh man this sucks
That means the 240 and 8 is out the door :(

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
craiger122003 said:
Also Sam this just in

OR they could just say tomorrow that they'll give him 30 for 10 and be done with the whole deal.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Sam Banks said:
craiger122003 said:
Also Sam this just in

OR they could just say tomorrow that they'll give him 30 for 10 and be done with the whole deal.

And if he rejects THAT, then **** him.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
It may seem like a thin market for Pujols, but in a year when Jayson Werth signed for $120 mil, I'm not writing off Pujols' chances of getting that $275+ deal. Is he going to produce $300 million worth of baseball? Almost certainly not. But that doesn't mean some team won't pony up that kind of money to buy a franchise face, some history, or just make a huge PR splash.

If the Cards aren't going to get him, we better hope that he does get an astronomical deal. I'm not sure I could stomach the idea of a rival (Cubs? Mets?) getting him at anywhere near a decent price. Those expensive last three years of a 10 year deal are almost worth it just to make sure that a rival doesn't get him for years 1-7.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
elmalo said:
I think that they can build a better team without him.

I can see the Cards taking that $30m a year and getting two great players or three decent players per season so I don't think they woudl lose much without Pujols on the club.

I'm hoping he's a free agent this comnig offseason - so we can see what kind of contract year he'll put up and then give MLB the big news priority in the offseason leading up to ESPN's airing of "Albert - His Decision" rather than the sports world forgetting what MLB is once the final out of the World Series is recorded.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Adamsince1981 said:
elmalo said:
Its not happening.

It's not just Boston. No team will sign Albert for 10 years/$300 mil.

This is exactly it, in fact no team will give him the year let alone 30/year. Cardinals front office has been finding this out all winter long and so have Albert's Agent. Again, the best deal is in StL.

jmill88

Dec 22, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Pine Tar said:
elmalo said:
Its not happening.
So the Yankees could not use him as a DH or even at first then. hummmmmm interesting take on this. :D

No way Albert would agree to DH.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
I laugh at people who think that just because the Yankees/Red Sox have the payroll to afford a high caliber player like Pujols, thinks that is where he will go.

Let's see...

1. They have NO WHERE to put Pujols, fact.
2. Even they are not stupid enough to pay 10/300.

Give me Gonzalez at 8/140 anyday of the week over Pujols at 10/300. Plus, the addition of Pujols would actually make them a worse team considering they would have to cut a few decent players in order to pay what he wants. Which would probably be from the bullpen....and in 7 years when he still has 3 years on his contract @ 90 mil, ugh.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
George_Calfas said:
PujolsCollector said:
Dont know but the Cardinals better get serious and quick. 2 more days until check in. The Cardinals will lose a fan for sure. The Cardinals would lose ticket sales becuase Pujols put people in the seats. The city will probably start a freaking riot and i feel bad for owners of the team anytime they are introduced this year. St.Louis losing Pujols will be worse than Cleveland losing Lebron.

First off, the Cardinals packed Busch Stadium before Pujols.
Second, they won World Series before Pujols.
Third, if fans leave over not signing a player, you were not a TRUE fan. I would be pissed over not resigned him but I would get over it.
Finally, he will sign. Cubs and O's have the two real shots at him come November. He would be a year older and many clubs agree with StL that his demands would be too much. Long and short his best money is in New Busch Stadium.

You can count the O's out. I doubt that Stankgelos will offer $30 million/yr to Pujols.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Pine Tar said:
elmalo said:
Its not happening.
ARod is thier future DH. Tex is at first. They cannot get rid of either one of them with their contracts.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
scotty21690 said:
I laugh at people who think that just because the Yankees/Red Sox have the payroll to afford a high caliber player like Pujols, thinks that is where he will go.

Let's see...

1. They have NO WHERE to put Pujols, fact.
2. Even they are not stupid enough to pay 10/300.

Give me Gonzalez at 8/140 anyday of the week over Pujols at 10/300. Plus, the addition of Pujols would actually make them a worse team considering they would have to cut a few decent players in order to pay what he wants. Which would probably be from the bullpen....and in 7 years when he still has 3 years on his contract @ 90 mil, ugh.
Thanked. No way Red Sox are giving him 10 years.

Members online

Latest posts