Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about changing shipping on eBay after the auction ends....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, so I won a couple of cards from a seller. Shipping is around $2. All of a sudden, the guy hits me with $4.60 something to ship both cards. I was kinda bummed he didn't combine shipping but he didn't specify anywhere that he did so that's my fault. But when I told him I expect two separate packages since won't combine, he says he's sorry and that the $2. I saw to ship was an estimate eBay gives, not his actual charges. Is this true? If so, I find it scary that somebody can alter the shipping price by increasing it after the auction is over. What I really feel happened was that the cards sold for so little that the shipping price was increased to make up for it. Obviously I can't prove that but I'll bet I can prove it doesn't take $4 and change to ship two cards in one package.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
I don't think this is accurate. And if it is, he's over charging for shipping. EBay will estimate shipping price for a seller (based on package size/weight and delivery method) or you can set your own price. The intent is that the answer eBay coughs up, while an estimate, is what the seller should charge.

Not sure if what he is doing is eBay legal, but I'd just cancel it if he's amenable. Doesn't sound like someone you want to do business with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
If he sends in one package and doesn't discount the shipping. I would give him less of a rating on shipping. Most people would be decent and give you a break on shipping. He cant raise the shipping after the auction that I am aware.

A_Pharis

Won't combine shipping charges? Don't combine the shipment.
If each auction quotes $2+ then that's for each auction, separately. He cannot charge you more than what is listed in each auction. That said - pay the full amount and let him know you expect two separate packages.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Maybe pay seperately and have one card mailed to home and the other to work? Still a dicked move on his part. Why does it cost 4 bucks to mail two cards?

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
Maybe pay seperately and have one card mailed to home and the other to work? Still a dicked move on his part. Why does it cost 4 bucks to mail two cards?

Its not the combined shipping he is complaining about. Its the change in shipping prices, unless I am wrong about what the OP was asking.

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
Pretty sure he won two cards, but the listings didnt mention combined shipping. So two listings, seperate shipping each, no combined.

Yes but he's also talking about an increase in shipping from what it would have been even adding the two shipping charges. Unless I'm reading it completely wrong.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Pretty sure he won two cards, but the listings didnt mention combined shipping. So two listings, seperate shipping each, no combined.
Yes I agree with this. He didn't specify thus doesn't need to combine.

Now the OP says that it was around 2$ for each package. and then gets hit with 4.60$. If it was 2.30 for each listing this is correct.

Could the OP provide us with the exact shipping he charged on each item?

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
Yes I agree with this. He didn't specify thus doesn't need to combine.

Now the OP says that it was around 2$ for each package. and then gets hit with 4.60$. If it was 2.30 for each listing this is correct.

Could the OP provide us with the exact shipping he charged on each item?

Thank for spelling that out, as it was what I was trying (and clearly failing) to explain in both posts.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, let me see if I can clarify. Sorry, I was in a hurry earlier and the numbers aren't even correct.

I won two cards from the same seller. Each of them were won at auction for two cents a piece. The shipping per card was actually $2.07. So theoretically, that would be $4.14 if uncombined for shipping. I assumed they would be combined. Anyhow, I go to pay and see that the shipping is $4.62 for the cards plus four cents total for the two cards themselves. I was wondering where the extra $0.48 cents came from on the shipping. I told the seller i expected two separate packages and he said eBay just estimates the shipping but it's not the actual cost, hence why I was charged more.

Further, he said he would combine shipping for $1.50 per card won. So basically the first card is shipped for his normal and then $1.50 per afterwards. So, I really don't feel like that is anything resembling a combined shipping discount because for about $0.30 you could just ship the thing all by itself.

My thought is he overcharged for shipping to make up for the low price for the cards. That is not necessarily a fact. It's my opinion. But what I'm really curious about is the estimate on shipping. As far as I knew, people only used that for overseas transactions or something larger that has to go into an odd sized package. Otherwise, you set your price. And I use that price to determine if it's worth buying or not. If a seller can indeed change shipping to even more after the fact, then I think that's pretty bad and will lead to a lot of issues for buyers.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

The way I look at it, if you won't combine, or knock off just a few cents, I want two packages. Otherwise, I'm not happy with the transaction. If you don't like to combine or even if you charge $5 a card to ship, I won't leave any bad feedback or ding your stars because I knew the price going in. But if you try to do that, I expect different packages. IMO, some sellers already pocket money on their shipping. I'm cool with that because it helps out, especially on low end items. But don't add even more on top of that. It just seems greedy.

Members online

Latest posts