Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rangers on verge of getting Gallardo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Here we are.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Source: Yovani Gallardo to Rangers deal is done. Brewers get back IF Luis Sardinas, RP Corey Knebel and 18-year-old RHP Marcos Diplan.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I was worried it was Sardinas. Hopefully his lack of plate skill is an age thing.

I have never heard of the other two; need to research.

Edit to add: it seems like we've finally replaced Alcides Escobar.

Last edited:

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Kind of bummed to see Yo headed to TX, but it was a move that had to happen. Free up some $$ and get something out of him instead of having him walk after this season. Also makes rooms for some young guys to join the rotation or sets things up for a bigger play this offseason.

I now know my Yo checklist for my collection will only go down from here on out.....

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
More than one writer is suggesting this is a prelude to flipping some of those prospects for another starter or signing Shields. I don't see them shelling out any big money, especially with Lohse, Peralta, Garza, Fiers, and Nelson already on the roster.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
They didn't get much to trade though. The Rangers #7 prospect. coming off a bad year and the others are not ranked and to this point, just have decent upside. None of this is going to bring much better than another 3-4 starter. Which is what they traded.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
More than one writer is suggesting this is a prelude to flipping some of those prospects for another starter or signing Shields. I don't see them shelling out any big money, especially with Lohse, Peralta, Garza, Fiers, and Nelson already on the roster.

They have PLENTY of money to spend. They have around 50 million coming off the books next year. They could easily afford to sign Shields and I think that they are one of the top three places he will go. Exactly like Lohse a couple years ago.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The Rangers are a team that looks okay on paper with some decent names in the rotation and a couple of big boppers in the lineup. Yet they have a shallow lineup filled with unproven players and a rotation filled with guys who are injury concerns or seem on the down-slope of their careers. Unlike the Phillies, they've at least tried to re-tool with younger guys in their lineup, but in terms of wins I think they likely get a similar result.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
They have PLENTY of money to spend. They have around 50 million coming off the books next year. They could easily afford to sign Shields and I think that they are one of the top three places he will go. Exactly like Lohse a couple years ago.

They already have 5 starters after Gallardo. Peralta, Lohse, Garza, Fiers, Nelson. They have huge holes at 1B and 3B to fill after this season which will suck up most of that money.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
They already have 5 starters after Gallardo. Peralta, Lohse, Garza, Fiers, Nelson. They have huge holes at 1B and 3B to fill after this season which will suck up most of that money.

Every heard of a trade? Sign shields for 4 years and then make a trade with one or two of these guys for a solid 1B or 3B. Its been thrown around a lot that they may do exactly what they did with Lohse and personally I would not be surprised.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
The Rangers are a team that looks okay on paper with some decent names in the rotation and a couple of big boppers in the lineup. Yet they have a shallow lineup filled with unproven players and a rotation filled with guys who are injury concerns or seem on the down-slope of their careers. Unlike the Phillies, they've at least tried to re-tool with younger guys in their lineup, but in terms of wins I think they likely get a similar result.

I disagree. Their main issue last season was injuries. They only had three players play more than 140 games and then just one pitcher pitch over 150 innings. Not saying they win the division but they are not far removed from being a successful team, if they do not have major injury concerns again.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I disagree. Their main issue last season was injuries. They only had three players play more than 140 games and then just one pitcher pitch over 150 innings. Not saying they win the division but they are not far removed from being a successful team, if they do not have major injury concerns again.

Who do you like in their lineup other than Beltre and Fielder? Honest question.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

I like Choo as well, to name just one. I do agree their lineup will have some unproven players but if you take the stars away, from most teams, you are left with replacement level players. If you can get 180 innings from Darvish, Holland and Gallardo; they will surely improve. Like I said, I do not see them winning the division but they can not be as bad as they were last season.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Besides Beltre and Fielder? Choo, Martin, Andrus(He'll be much better now that he doesn't have to shoulder a huge load), Odor should take the next step, Michael Choice could be good and Profar is a wild card.

Without all their injuries they are a much much better team.
I like Choo as well, to name just one. I do agree their lineup will have some unproven players but if you take the stars away, from most teams, you are left with replacement level players. If you can get 180 innings from Darvish, Holland and Gallardo; they will surely improve. Like I said, I do not see them winning the division but they can not be as bad as they were last season.
I agree. I think they will be around a 500 team with no other improvements and could end up around 86-87 wins IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts