Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Razor Metal sales format change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jeff N. said:
cgilmo said:
http://www.razorcollectibles.com/[/url] to get the latest information on this and other new products, rights? Nope, Razor Metal isn't even mentioned on the company's website.

If Razor wants to salvage any bit of respectability in this hobby, then they really need to improve the way they choose to [not] communicate with their customers. I am thankful that this information is shared on FCB, but it should not be up to FCB to distribute this information for Razor.

Most collectors do not even visit corporate websites for topps or UD either. Collectors in the past have relied on hobby shop owners and thier peers for information.

Hobby shop owners generally know less than they used to, so now its all truly grass roots.

Collectors would go to companies' websites if there was relevant information posted. I criticized Razor 8 months ago for having a lackluster -- and that's being very kind -- website.

Hobby shop owners were telling anyone that listened that UD owned Razor months and months and months ago.

Don't dis your local hobby shop. They've got their finger on the pulse more than you know. Maybe not in Alabama, but in ohter states...[/quote:2qe7mvw4]

We get it Jeff. You told us so. You were sooooooo right. Blah Blah Blah. Do you really need some sort of pat on the back?

To be honest, nothing has been proven yet, so how about we wait and see how this all plays out. You are starting to sound like the poker player who trash talks on the turn, when the river hasn't even come out yet.

It's not over until the the absolute facts come out.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
NECpilgrims8 said:
We get it Jeff. You told us so. You were sooooooo right. Blah Blah Blah. Do you really need some sort of pat on the back?

To be honest, nothing has been proven yet, so how about we wait and see how this all plays out. You are starting to sound like the poker player who trash talks on the turn, when the river hasn't even come out yet.

It's not over until the the absolute facts come out.

Hadn't you heard? Jeff had his last name legally changed to "Novelldamus".

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
ryanhoward06 said:
Is it too late to do a pack out for the rest? One card in a one touch for $15 or something like that.
Is it too late to pack out a so-called 2008 product?

I don't know, is it May 11th wherever you are?

EDIT: And no, the 2008 argument never gets old.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff N. said:
cgilmo said:
[quote="chrome_ball":1gcjhcz0]I
[/quote:1gcjhcz0]

True, but often times the river is irrelevant. It just makes a losing hand look prettier, and yet still lose.
I have a feeling whatever comes out is nothing more than damage control.

I didn't want to believe it, but I've been swayed to the other side.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
ryanhoward06 said:
Is it too late to do a pack out for the rest? One card in a one touch for $15 or something like that.
Is it too late to pack out a so-called 2008 product?

I don't know, is it May 11th wherever you are?

EDIT: And no, the 2008 argument never gets old.

I've wanted it to 2009 since it was announced. This way Sig series wouldn't take as big of an hit.

abe1

Dec 29, 2008
"Most collectors do not even visit corporate websites for topps or UD either."

Seriously?

Are you debating that a better web presence wouldn't help Razor's efforts to reach regular ol' hobby folk? Folks with disposable income, but not blessed with spare time to follow message boards? Folks that might not have a hobby store near them? Folks already woefully underserved by Beckett?

Due to their newness - and the veil of mistrust surrounding the company- a lot of hobby stores aren't even carrying the products, let alone disseminating accurate information on Razor's behalf.

The obvious, intuitive place to look for info is their website- particularly because they're new. That they're using the web (eBay) to sell cards direct makes looking for info/news online even more obvious. That the website hasn't been updated since 12/30 is an embarrassment. So is the assertion that this isn’t a major flaw of their business plan.

It also puts your investments in further jeopardy. To state the obvious, for Razor to succeed – and for you to have a true secondary market down the road for which to sell your Razor prospects- they’re going to need to bust out of the niche and be a company with a real presence outside the message boards.

By the way, we stats show Upper Deck’s site earns significantly more traffic than Topps. Wonder why? Oh yeah, because they update more frequently. Duh.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
abe1 said:
"Most collectors do not even visit corporate websites for topps or UD either."

Seriously?

Are you debating that a better web presence wouldn't help Razor's efforts to reach regular ol' hobby folk? Folks with disposable income, but not blessed with spare time to follow message boards? Folks that might not have a hobby store near them? Folks already woefully underserved by Beckett?

Due to their newness - and the veil of mistrust surrounding the company- a lot of hobby stores aren't even carrying the products, let alone disseminating accurate information on Razor's behalf.

The obvious, intuitive place to look for info is their website- particularly because they're new. That they're using the web (eBay) to sell cards direct makes looking for info/news online even more obvious. That the website hasn't been updated since 12/30 is an embarrassment. So is the assertion that this isn’t a major flaw of their business plan.

It also puts your investments in further jeopardy. To state the obvious, for Razor to succeed – and for you to have a true secondary market down the road for which to sell your Razor prospects- they’re going to need to bust out of the niche and be a company with a real presence outside the message boards.

By the way, we stats show Upper Deck’s site earns significantly more traffic than Topps. Wonder why? Oh yeah, because they update more frequently. Duh.

The real reason that upper deck's website gets more traffic is that they sell stuff direct there. It has nothing to do with news of sports cards they are releasing.

As far as topps goes...

Freedom Card Board.com gets more traffic than Topps.com

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I think this way may end up being much better for razor and the average ebay buyer. Most have no idea how a dutch auction even works. I like how they will be spread out over the day. Will be fun to track these prices.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
But its hard to argue that having a more professional and updated website wouldn't help, right? I know that if I have a razor problem/question I can come here or email Brian, but if I had no idea about FCB or another mainstream message board, I would not have any idea about Razor. But I will also say, I would probably know almost as little about the "mainstream" brands and products unless i actually went searching for information.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
mredsox89 said:
But its hard to argue that having a more professional and updated website wouldn't help, right? I know that if I have a razor problem/question I can come here or email Brian, but if I had no idea about FCB or another mainstream message board, I would not have any idea about Razor. But I will also say, I would probably know almost as little about the "mainstream" brands and products unless i actually went searching for information.

I never said it wouldn't help. I said that there are other methods of delivering information that card companies currently employ.

Recently, Donruss and UD have turned to facebook to deliver this information. Time will tell how effective that is.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
cgilmo said:
mredsox89 said:

I never said it wouldn't help. I said that there are other methods of delivering information that card companies currently employ.

Recently, Donruss and UD have turned to facebook to deliver this information. Time will tell how effective that is.

Yea, i didn't mean it to come off that way. There are many outlets to send information and Razor hasn't really taken advantage of them. Brian said that he was going to when he "left" FCB, but to my knowledge, nothing has really changed.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
mredsox89 said:
cgilmo said:
mredsox89 said:

Yea, i didn't mean it to come off that way. There are many outlets to send information and Razor hasn't really taken advantage of them. Brian said that he was going to when he "left" FCB, but to my knowledge, nothing has really changed.

he never said he was leaving

he just said he was no longer actively posting.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I don't think there that is any debate from anyone that Razor clearly needs a marketing strategy.

The initial marketing strategy of FCB and the Edgeman distribution list clearly isn't enough...but this wasn't really about their marketing strategy.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
cgilmo said:
mredsox89 said:
cgilmo said:
mredsox89 said:

he never said he was leaving

he just said he was no longer actively posting.

Thats what I meant, lol

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff N. said:
cgilmo said:
http://www.razorcollectibles.com/[/url] to get the latest information on this and other new products, rights? Nope, Razor Metal isn't even mentioned on the company's website.

If Razor wants to salvage any bit of respectability in this hobby, then they really need to improve the way they choose to [not] communicate with their customers. I am thankful that this information is shared on FCB, but it should not be up to FCB to distribute this information for Razor.

Most collectors do not even visit corporate websites for topps or UD either. Collectors in the past have relied on hobby shop owners and thier peers for information.

Hobby shop owners generally know less than they used to, so now its all truly grass roots.

Collectors would go to companies' websites if there was relevant information posted. I criticized Razor 8 months ago for having a lackluster -- and that's being very kind -- website.

Hobby shop owners were telling anyone that listened that UD owned Razor months and months and months ago.

Don't dis your local hobby shop. They've got their finger on the pulse more than you know. Maybe not in Alabama, but in ohter states...

It's not over until the the absolute facts come out.[/quote:kyctf52l]

Actually, Adam, I was responding to Chris' statement that hobby shop owners don't know anything. My point was, they are well ahead of the curve.

And true, nothing has been proven yet. However, in this case, silence is deafening.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Don't dis your local hobby shop. They've got their finger on the pulse more than you know. Maybe not in Alabama, but in ohter states...

It's not over until the the absolute facts come out.[/quote:2u4fmgwm]

Actually, Adam, I was responding to Chris' statement that hobby shop owners don't know anything. My point was, they are well ahead of the curve.

And true, nothing has been proven yet. However, in this case, silence is deafening.[/quote:2u4fmgwm]

Perception in these kinds of situations is nearly as important as reality and at this point, fact or fiction, that perception is going to be very tough to change.

Members online

Latest posts