Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RedsFest 2013 recap. Tons of scans/pics, long read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
RedsFest 2013 was as great of a time as every other Redsfest we’ve been to. This one almost didn’t happen though and I need to thank some people for making it happen.

Lisa Braun and the Cincinnati Reds sent us tickets for free for us to attend. My cousin and her roommate let us stay with them so that we didn’t have to pay for a hotel. Then a very good friend of mine supplied the money for us to attend. We can’t thank all of them enough for helping us attend RedsFest again this year. We had an amazing time!

There are a ton of pics and most of them are probably really big pics. I apologize in advance, but I hope everyone enjoys seeing them and reading along.

Channel 9 (WCPO) in Cincinnati stopped and took a picture of Crystal and posted it on their site. Here’s the link: http://www.wcpo.com/news/news-photo-gallery/reds-fans-brave-snow-for-redsfest-2013 (she’s picture 6)

I have been working on getting the 1990 Topps and Topps Traded Reds cards signed since they won the World Series in 1990. I’m up to 21 of the 33 cards. I am only 12 away from completing it. Rick Mahler and Tim Layana have passed away, but I was able to pick up signed copies of their cards. Most I have gotten TTM or IP. I added a few more at RedsFest

Chris Sabo
attachment.php

Danny Jackson
attachment.php

Eric Davis
attachment.php

Ron Oester
attachment.php

Tommy Helms
attachment.php

Tommy wasn’t the manager, Lou Piniella was, but I figured I would get him as well. Danny Jackson was there with CEI Sports. He wasn’t free, but I got him while I had the chance.

I have a collage that I started getting signed last RedsFest. I added a few more autos this year.

Logan Ondrusek and Ron Oester
attachment.php

David Holmberg
attachment.php

Tommy Helms and Dan Driessen
attachment.php

Brandon Phillips
attachment.php

In it’s entirety
attachment.php

I’m up to 20 autographs on it. Some show up better than others. I think some use different Sharpies.

BP said he remembered me. He shook my hand, gave me a hug, and asked how I was doing. I don’t know if he really remembered me or not. My cousin had talked to him before I got up to him (she was a little ahead of me in line), so that may be the only reason any of it rang a bell to him. :lol:

We have a Reds batting helmet that we have taken the last 4 years. Added a few more to it as well.

Ron Oester, Nick Travieso, and Tom Browning
attachment.php

Nick Christiani, Curtis Parch, and Sean Marshall
attachment.php

Mike Leake and Devin Mesoraco
attachment.php

Michael Lorenzen, Neftali Soto, and Logan Ondrusek
attachment.php

A couple of extra shots of the helmet
attachment.php

attachment.php

I got a few baseballs signed as well

Alfredo Simon
attachment.php

Billy Hamilton
attachment.php

Sean Marshall
attachment.php

Johnny Cueto
attachment.php

Todd Frazier
attachment.php

I asked Billy to sign See Billy Run. Crystal is a big fan of that hashtag. I asked Todd to sign his Twitter handle. It would have been nice on the sweet spot, but I’m not complaining.

On Saturday, we were about to leave and stopped by the Reds Authentics area which has game used and autographed items. They had mystery bats this year that guaranteed you either a game used bat, team issued bat, or autographed bat. They were $100 a shot. The guy said he would give us one for $50 if we were interested. My cousin bought one for me and told me to consider it an early Christmas gift. I got Devin Mesoraco.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I checked the MLB Authentication label and it was broken on September 13, 2013 in Milwaukee. That made it possible for a quick photomatch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This year, they only had the $20 baseball grab bags and no 8x10 grab bags. $20 gets you an autographed, MLB Authenticated ROMLB. My friend that sent us money told us to make sure to get some of those. He knows we’re big fans of them, so we were happy to oblige.

On Friday, we bought 5 shortly after arriving. Here they are in the order we opened them.

Joey Votto
attachment.php

Brandon Phillips
attachment.php

Joey Votto
attachment.php

Homer Bailey
attachment.php

Joey Votto
attachment.php

Yes, we pulled 3 Joey Votto autographed baseballs out of 5. The people at the booth couldn’t believe it. They said Votto was one of the players with the least amount of signed baseballs available. It was crazy.

After making some rounds and getting some autographs, we stopped back by the booth and bought 2 more baseballs. No lie, we pulled another Joey Votto. That made 4 out of 6. We gave that one to my cousin because she is a huge Votto fan. We had planned to give her one any way, it was just crazy to hit a fourth one. The second one was unreal. I opened the bag and it had a silver baseball in it. I pulled it out and it wasn’t autographed. I saw a card inside the bag and pulled it out. It said to turn it into the booth for this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A 2013 team signed baseball! Crystal and I were in shock. It has 30 autographs on it: Alfredo Simon, Aroldis Chapman, Brandon Phillips, Bronson Arroyo, Cesar Izturis, Chris Heisey, Corky Miller, Curtis Parch, Derrick Robinson, Devin Mesoraco, Dusty Baker, ***** Bailey, JJ Hoover, Jack Hannahan, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Jonathan Broxton, Logan Ondrusek, Manny Parra, Mat Latos, Mike Leake, Neftali Soto, Ryan Hanigan, Sam LeCure, Sean Marshall, Shin-Soo Choo, Todd Frazier, Tony Cingrani, Xavier Paul, and Zack Cozart.

I know a couple of the baseballs are a little smudged, but it’s a great deal for $20. No complaints from us.

I apologize for the long read and the big pics, but I wanted to share our RedsFest experience as well as thank those that made it possible.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
That's awesome Joe! Looks like a great time, and crazy luck on the mystery baseballs!

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
That's awesome joe! Congrats on the autos and crazy on the ball story. Love that you won a team signed ball. My first thought looking at it though was they passed it around a pre-school class. :) sounds like an amazing time

Sent from my iPhone

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Wish i knew you were going, i would have asked you to keep an eye out for any Drew Stubbs gamers for me.

congrats on all the awesome stuff. sounds like it was a blast.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Wow! Thought my day at Redsfest was good! Glad you had a great time!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Thank you for all of the comments! It was a great time. Added some really nice stuff to our collection.

GC- Thank you, brother. Definitely nice to still be here and be able to attend.

Was Helms a hitting coach or something then?Thought Pinella managed all season?

You're right. Rose got banned in 1989 and Tommy Helms took over as manager. The 1990 Topps set came out in Nov/Dec, so they made a manager card for Helms. He was replaced by Piniella and Lou managed the entire 1990 season. His Reds manager card was in Topps Traded.

Members online