Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Remember when...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Remember when no one sold new releases until Beckett priced them?

Remember when Beckett used to LIST various prices under twenty cents?

Remember when a CASE of cards cost the same as a Triple Threads box?

Remember when there were many different price guides to choose from?

Remember when "prospecting" meant buying hundred card bricks?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Remember when commons 'booked' for $0.08 and had up arrows ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Remember when Chris Gilmore stole FCB?

Remember the Night Crew?

Remember how crazy BMB was the night of the 2006 NLCS Game 7?

Remember when ThoseBackPages pissed on the Pujols rookie card?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I wish I remembered BMB, wasn't on those boards so I missed the fun/chaos. Wish I had made it to this board before 2012 as well.

Ryan

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Remember when members talked about cards and not about bashing other sites/members/etc?

Remember when Yahoo had an auction site?

Remember when the Mantle Rookie was between $350 and $500 and we thought they were nuts trying to get that amount?

Remember when you would get excited to go to a card show that was at the local school?

attachment.php

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Remember when Raymond used to be a regular poster on the BMB boards?

Remember when Rich was a regular poster and equal opportunity pot stirrer before his untimely passing?

Remember when you could smell the bubble gum on the cards even years later?

Remember when condition was not a huge priority?

Remember when Fleer was a company that "failed" at making cards and only made Double Bubble gum?

Remember when Donruss came on the card scene and everyone asked who was this Don Russ guy?

Remember when you were crazy happy you got Joe Charboneau in a pack and only knew Cal Ripken because his dad coached the Orioles?

Remember when Henry Aaron's 1974 Topps card was probably the toughest card for you to pull from a pack?

Geez.....I could go on and on.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Remember when you'd open a bowman chrome box, get a crappy auto but no problem because the top rookies as base cards booked and sold for$5 to $20 each.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Haha , Clemente $15, Wagner $25, Koufax $1.50 etc. I can't say that was accurate even in those days was it?

Ryan

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Haha , Clemente $15, Wagner $25, Koufax $1.50 etc. I can't say that was accurate even in those days was it?

Ryan

I hope not. I was too busy spending more than that on my 1979 bump wills error card. Because I knew it was the better investment.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

Ryan

Clemente, Cobb and Wagner were probably a good deal more expensive than what the price guide is quoting because they were deceased but remember, when that book was first published (around 1981 or so) there were still a great many hall of fame players who signed through the mail as it was not the business it was today. I remember as a kid sending away to Hubbell, DiMaggio and even Ted Williams and getting a genuine autograph back. I even remember when the idea of having athletes come to card shows to sign autographs for money was scoffed at especially when Mantle was getting 5 bucks to sign his name and DiMaggio had the stones to demand ten bucks. And yes, I know it was the promoters who set the asking price not the players.

Times have certainly changed and collecting back before 1985 was so much simpler and cheaper.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Remember when members talked about cards and not about bashing other sites/members/etc?

Remember when Yahoo had an auction site?

Remember when the Mantle Rookie was between $350 and $500 and we thought they were nuts trying to get that amount?

Remember when you would get excited to go to a card show that was at the local school?

attachment.php

Yes back when game used cards were the rage.

Latest posts