Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ripped Rip cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
So I got a 2020 Topps Rip rip card of Matt Chapman ser# 11/15 that has been ripped is there any trade value in a ripped rip card or is just something someone may want to put in there pc just to have ?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They seem to sell well. I am guessing player collectors who can't/won't afford unripped versions probably like them to allow a hole to be filled much cheaper.

Dumbest idea ever.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Who the Hell would rip a card serial numbered to 15 of a major player🙄🤮
This is just my gut feelings, with no evidence to back it up.

I'm guessing a majority of the "collecting" public these days. The odds seem to be better for pulling great items, but there are losers in there too. I feel as though a good number are sold unripped, leaving it up to the buyer. If a gambler wins, it gets ripped. If a collector wins it, it stays unripped.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Ripped cards? Oh boy have I been out of the Topps loop since Puckett’s likeness hasn’t been used since 2004 before the new T206 release this year... Any other wonky Topps trends I need to study up on since they appear ready to use Puckett images more?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The concept is not brand new. Pinnacle actually did it in the late 90s with those jumbo 5x7 cards that had regular sized cards inside them, except there was no "rip tab". I think they were called Pinnacle Inside (maybe those were the cans though???). You literally had to rip the top/side off the card, or those more careful would cut the side/top or even slice one side. Getting the card out was harder, of course.

They followed up or around the same time with those canned packs. Again, I think a stupid idea. The cards were nice, but lots of waste if someone didn't want to save the opened cans. Donruss perfected it with the tins that were not damaged in any way when you opened them.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Very cool! I had no idea these were a thing. I miss the Pinnacle brand. I liked them and original Donruss brands best... I don’t think Puckett had a Pinnacle card released after 1996, but he did have one final card from Score released in ‘98.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Whoa, that’s a lot of cheddar. There’s a good number of /10 cards in that lot. I just wouldn’t be able to bring myself to rip a /10 card. I also wouldn’t be able to pay that for the lot just to rip them all either. That’s a heck of a dilemma...

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
The concept is not brand new. Pinnacle actually did it in the late 90s with those jumbo 5x7 cards that had regular sized cards inside them, except there was no "rip tab". I think they were called Pinnacle Inside (maybe those were the cans though???). You literally had to rip the top/side off the card, or those more careful would cut the side/top or even slice one side. Getting the card out was harder, of course.

They followed up or around the same time with those canned packs. Again, I think a stupid idea. The cards were nice, but lots of waste if someone didn't want to save the opened cans. Donruss perfected it with the tins that were not damaged in any way when you opened them.
I remember them . i never had one but remember them. There was always that rumer that if you held it up to some sort of light you can see though the card to see whats inside it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

The world is full of MORONS!
Depends on what was inside. The risk was high here, as I would assume the unripped card would have sold for a lot more than $40. Still, they got $40 AFTER whatever was inside came out. Maybe that was an even better card.

As I have stated numerous times, I think ruining a card to get to another is a dumb idea. However, there are much better cards hidden inside some of these rip cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Inspired by this thread, I grabbed a random lot of the 1998 Zenith for no other reason than to open them, or most of them. I am paying a hair over $1 per card, delivered. This is probably going to be a losing proposition, but I don't open packs anymore, so this will provide a little ripping excitement I hardly ever get anymore.

I see 2 Frank Thomas & 2 Mike Piazza, so I may have to spare those. Can't bring myself to harm Dodgers and Frank Thomas! There is some sort of parallel card too (possibly 2) and that Williams in the corner looks different, foil-like, but that may just be camera flash tricking me too.

s-l1600.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
As a player collector, I theoretically would have paid a lot for it either way, probably the same amount. It's a 1/1 card and I would have no thought of ripping it, so it wouldn't really matter to me what's inside, I'm never going to see it. I get that it would still hold that potential value if I ever sold it, but it wouldn't be a big factor in deciding a bid. And the damage created by ripping it...well, I don't think condition standards really apply in this case, at least for the damage on the rip zone. It's pretty much all there, at least, ripped reasonably cleanly. I've seen some that look like they had an Alien embedded in them.

I think a lot of people tend to think the lower-numbered rip cards have the better inserts in them. It would make sense but there's no basis to believe that. Looking at the Topps Rip 1/1 Alonso guy's sales, he had 4 Rip cards, and he ripped them all. He got about $180, less fees, for all of them. The big one was $101 for an Ohtani auto. It doesn't say which insert came from which card, but altogether I think he may have done just as well or better leaving the 1/1 sealed. Although Alonso is way down this year, hard to say.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I’m totally with you, I would have still bought a ripped Puckett all things equal. It should also sell for less ripped than a un-ripped Puckett as well, so that’s a benefit. I just wouldn’t have been able to personally rip a 1/1 card myself regardless of player...

Members online

Latest posts