Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Braun Extended (Again) Through 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
To reiterate Sheet's comment of being unclear as to why the two are being compared here, I'm also unclear.

This extension starts in 2016. This year he's making 4 mil. (up from ONE million last year)
Through 2015 he'll be making 6M, 8.5M, 10M, 12M. That's an incredible deal. The extension he got is not ignoring that.

It's also great for the fans, having a home grown talent be with the team from the draft in 05 staying for 15 years, and likely never playing for a different team. That's good for baseball too.

Risk? Any contract has risk. If you're going to risk an extension on someone, I'd be surprised if the boards can come up with even 8 players who better suit a risk like this one (which isn't that huge, afterall)

On another note, being that he starts getting his bigger pay in 2016, I wonder if it lines up Prince for a nice 4 year contract extension. Dreaming perhaps, but that'd be pretty cool.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Kevbo said:
To reiterate Sheet's comment of being unclear as to why the two are being compared here, I'm also unclear.

This extension starts in 2016. This year he's making 4 mil. (up from ONE million last year)
Through 2015 he'll be making 6M, 8.5M, 10M, 12M. That's an incredible deal. The extension he got is not ignoring that.

It's also great for the fans, having a home grown talent be with the team from the draft in 05 staying for 15 years, and likely never playing for a different team. That's good for baseball too.

Risk? Any contract has risk. If you're going to risk an extension on someone, I'd be surprised if the boards can come up with even 8 players who better suit a risk like this one (which isn't that huge, afterall)

On another note, being that he starts getting his bigger pay in 2016, I wonder if it lines up Prince for a nice 4 year contract extension. Dreaming perhaps, but that'd be pretty cool.

I think the Brewers fans here are missing my point entirely. I'm not saying Braun isn't one of the most worthy players or such an extension (in fact, if I had to sign a guy for 10 years, he'd be in my top 5-7 no doubt), I'm saying it borders on foolish to extend any player to that degree. That's it. That's all.

I'm all for Braun playing in MIL for his career. I think it's great and am truly happy for Brewers fans (and, as a fan of an AL East team that isn't one of the two Evil Empires, there are selfish reasons at play, too) but you can't convince me it isn't an unnecessary risk on behalf of Milwaukee. As you stated, he's signed at a bargain price through 2015. One of the better deals in baseball. But now he's signed at a total that's probably slightly below market (taking those bargain years into account) for TEN YEARS. Much less of a bargain now, and much more risk. It just seems totally unnecessary when you've already got the guy locked up for five years.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
braden said:
The only reason I mentioned Tulo and Braun is because they are the only two players in MLB signed through 2020.

Also: There is every reason to believe that injuries could prevent Braun and/or Tulo from completing their contracts. That's the whole point. Predicting the health of anybody ten years out is pointless. Thus, the club takes on a much larger risk than the player loses in potential future earnings. To say there is "no reason to think that Braun will do nothing but be on the field" for the next ten years is foolish.

I won't start on comparing the values of Braun versus Tulowitzki. They're both fantastic players but I don't think there's a baseball exec alive who would take Braun over Tulo.

I agree that there is risk and it's larger the more number of years. I'm with you there. But there is absolutely NO REASON TO THIS POINT to believe that Braun will not stay on the field. There are MANY REASONS to believe that Tulo will be off the field at some point.

And I agree, Tulo plays a thin position at a high offensive level. I would take Tulo over Braun to build a team. But that was never my point regarding Braun/Tulo. One has much more risk to their respective contract. And he plays in Colorado.

Now watch one of the two of them get injured tonight. ::facepalm::

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Awesome, Brewer fans should be happy with that one!

Very glad he won't be in the AL at any point in his career, so he won't destroy our pitchers. :cool:

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
I understand why Tulo and Braun are compared. They are from the same draft and are both the only players signed through 2020.

I would think there are insurance policies based on the players injury status'.

I'm more surprised of the Tulo contract simply because of what Helton has been the last few years.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The added value that out-weighs risk (to a degree) is the "commitment" factor that ownership shows its fans. Braun is the biggest name in Milwaukee and fans can be assured that he'll be in the outfield for another decade. That's years and years of fans having someone to believe in for something. If the fans come, the money comes and it's another way to build the team. Plus, you are basically drafting against an 8-man team if you've got one position LOCKED up.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
I've always wanted to like Braun, but his cockyness has always gotten in the way. I always seen him as the type of person that would complain that he was underpaid. After watching the press conference on the Brewers website I must give him give him props for going to the Brewers in spring training and asking for this extension.

Members online

Latest posts