Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 2021 - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Today's mail:

090321.jpg
I love framed printing plates, and they included the auto in a non-stupid way here (I've seen some bad ones). It's Rich Harden out of 2008 Moments and Milestones. Braden was the final A's card I needed from the 2021 Opening Day Ballpark Profile auto set - for some reason 3 of the 10 cards in the set were A's. Of course I already had this 2018 Plates and Patches Dilfer auto, but my old was was a pedestrian 13/99 while this new one is a more fun 01/99.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yesterday's mail:
George Brett Blue.jpg
I'd never seen something from this set this off center but I haven't seen many blue ink copies so it'll do for now.

1992 Perez Steele Yogi Berra Auto.jpg
Can't pass up a great Perez Steele art piece for less than $50, especially when it's signed by one of the greatest catchers ever.

2000 Bowman Chrome Adam Wainwright.jpg

Adding to my Wainwright collection has become pretty common the last month or so. Pretty sure I already have this one but I couldn't find it in the two boxes it should be in so I grabbed another one cheap.

Today's Mail:

2014 Ginter Mini Red Adam Wainwright.jpg 2014 Ginter Mini Red Adam Wainwright Back.jpg
2014 A&G Mini Red Border /33

2015 Heritage Action Adam Wainwright.jpg
2015 Heritage Action SP

1888 Ginter Ticket.jpg
1888 Ginter Ticket Back.jpg
1888 Ginter Album Ticket (George Washington, Birds of the Americas, Indian Chiefs, or City Flags) - These came in the tobacco packs along with the Ginter cards and if you acquired 100 of them you could redeem them for one of the albums listed on the ticket. I love pieces like this that go along with my collections.

1997 Metal Universe Magnetic Field Griffey.jpg
Ken Griffey Jr.jpg
Couple of highlights from a Griffey lot I got in today.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Just one today:

090421.jpg
2021 Topps Clearly Authentic Red Barry Zito auto 34/50. This was an all-time bad shipping job, the seller just tossed it in a manila envelope and shipped it off, zero protection at all. It's pretty scratched up but luckily the one-touch didn't get chipped or cracked. Yay 6 feedback sellers!

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
My son and I made the trip to Bentonville, AR today for a card show and it was well worth it. They've grown it from a little 20 or so table show to one needing two convention rooms and what looked like 100+ tables.

Show pickups:

The OG Allen and Ginter. I have no clue why this is a 2. It's got rough corners but they aren't rounded. The edges aren't perfectly clean but they aren't bad for a 134 year old card. The back is complete and clean as well with the usual toning. I've seen 4s and 5s in much worse shape.
I'll cross it to SGC in my next sub to match the rest of my N28s and see how it goes.

1887 Ginter John McMahon.jpg

2004 Bowman Heritage Black and White Yadier Molina RC - I love these cards. This fills out the "rainbow" if you will of base, Black and White, and Magenta /25.

2004 Bowman Heritage Black and White Yadier Molina.jpg

2001 Topps American Pie Rookie Reprint Relic - I'd actually never seen this one before. For $2 it's a no-brainer.

2001 Topps American Pie Rookie Reprint Relic.jpg

This is why I always stop and look at every case and dig through boxes. These were stacked under a couple other cards in a showcase and I could just barely see the green border and part of the Topps 50 logo. I was actually hoping they were Pujols but for $15 for the pair I'm not going to complain.

Ichiro #1.jpg Ichiro #2.jpg

2013 Bowman Sterling Blue Stephen Piscotty - My son even managed to find a Piscotty he didn't already have.

2013 Bowman Sterling Blue Autograph.jpg

Today's Mail:

A bunch of Griffeys to fill 90s set holes

Griffey Lot.jpg

1997 Pinnacle Clout Museum Collection Ken Griffey Jr. - I'm not working on a 1997 Pinnacle Museum Collection set (at least not yet) but this card was in the same sale as the others and it was just too nice looking to let it pass.

1997 Pinnacle Clout MC Ken Griffey Jr.jpg

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Dufex is probably the best thing ever produced. Sure, refractors were nice at the time but there's just something about Dufex that makes it the top of my list. Even commons look sharp.

My son and I made the trip to Bentonville, AR today for a card show and it was well worth it. They've grown it from a little 20 or so table show to one needing two convention rooms and what looked like 100+ tables.

Show pickups:

The OG Allen and Ginter. I have no clue why this is a 2. It's got rough corners but they aren't rounded. The edges aren't perfectly clean but they aren't bad for a 134 year old card. The back is complete and clean as well with the usual toning. I've seen 4s and 5s in much worse shape.
I'll cross it to SGC in my next sub to match the rest of my N28s and see how it goes.

View attachment 311833

2004 Bowman Heritage Black and White Yadier Molina RC - I love these cards. This fills out the "rainbow" if you will of base, Black and White, and Magenta /25.

View attachment 311834

2001 Topps American Pie Rookie Reprint Relic - I'd actually never seen this one before. For $2 it's a no-brainer.

View attachment 311835

This is why I always stop and look at every case and dig through boxes. These were stacked under a couple other cards in a showcase and I could just barely see the green border and part of the Topps 50 logo. I was actually hoping they were Pujols but for $15 for the pair I'm not going to complain.

View attachment 311836 View attachment 311837

2013 Bowman Sterling Blue Stephen Piscotty - My son even managed to find a Piscotty he didn't already have.

View attachment 311841

Today's Mail:

A bunch of Griffeys to fill 90s set holes

View attachment 311839

1997 Pinnacle Clout Museum Collection Ken Griffey Jr. - I'm not working on a 1997 Pinnacle Museum Collection set (at least not yet) but this card was in the same sale as the others and it was just too nice looking to let it pass.

View attachment 311840

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I think I agree with this. The 1993 refractors had such an awesome look, which I think surpassed all subsequent refractor issues. But that's second place.

All things considered, I think I'm down with dufex as the best ever treatment of a card surface. And for what it's worth, of all the various incarnations of dufex, I think I like the 1992 Select chase stars and the 1997 New Pinnacle AP's the best.

Dufex is probably the best thing ever produced. Sure, refractors were nice at the time but there's just something about Dufex that makes it the top of my list. Even commons look sharp.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Ran by the LCS today and scored a couple Molinas plus one showed up in the mail
2004 Bazooka Mini (Throwing) RC, 2008 Topps Chrome Refractor, and 2021 Topps '65

2004 Bazooka Mini SP RC Yadier Molina.jpg 2008 Topps Chrome Refractor Yadier Molina.jpg 2021 Heritage '65 Yadier Molina.jpg

Rest of the Mail Day was 2021 Ginter set fills with another Molina. It was that kind of day apparently.
Ginter Pickups.jpg

I seem to be having fairly frequent Molina maildays lately for someone who doesn't really collect the guy lol.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Regarding Dufex vs. Refractors, I think Dufex is helped because it was last put on cards in 1998 (that 2013 Pinnacle set was a poor imitation) while Topps has had all of those years to way overdo Refractors.

Today's mail:

090721-1.jpg
Enormous pickup with the 2006 Topps Update Frank Thomas Black 33/55. I was worried that the 4 Topps Black Thomas cards that were produced would be my roadblock to completing all of the team sets, but I've picked up 2 of those 4 this year. The 2003 Topps Black Tejada puts me one away from the inaugural team set. Still 7 away from the 2010 set that the Ryan Sweeney is from, and one of those I'm missing is the Josh Donaldson RC. Love the McGwire 1997 Studio Gold Press Proof, still need to track down the Canseco. The 2003 Pristine Gold Refractor is a nice addition to my Zito collection and leaves me 2 away from the team set. And the Canseco 1997 SPx Silver finishes that 2-card team set...still need his Bronze card to have all of the A's base/Steel/Bronze/Silver/Gold cards from the set. The Grand Finales sell for way more than I feel like paying.

090721-2.jpg
You don't see the 2005 Topps Pack Wars Foil/56 cards too often so I had to snag this Zito when I noticed it. Several A's auto RCs in Chrome this year. The Greenberg/Grove 0108/1000 gives me almost all of the A's cards from the hobby and retail versions of 2002 Fleer Fall Classics Rival Factions...the only one I'm missing is /50. Rajai was just a nice Topps parallel I saw for a decent price so I picked it up, 18/25. And nothing special about the 2002 UD Victory Gold Jason Hart card except that it finally completes my team set.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
I personally loved the 1997 Zenith Mosaic cards.

91vzLYW+A9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I think I agree with this. The 1993 refractors had such an awesome look, which I think surpassed all subsequent refractor issues. But that's second place.

All things considered, I think I'm down with dufex as the best ever treatment of a card surface. And for what it's worth, of all the various incarnations of dufex, I think I like the 1992 Select chase stars and the 1997 New Pinnacle AP's the best.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Regarding Dufex vs. Refractors, I think Dufex is helped because it was last put on cards in 1998 (that 2013 Pinnacle set was a poor imitation) while Topps has had all of those years to way overdo Refractors.
Can't argue with this. While I like dufex 1000x more than refractors, part of that could be that Topps had all these years to completely overdo their revolutionary card treatment. Still, dufex is so much more versatile and can take so many different pattern, and Score/Pinnacle did a great job of mixing it up.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
091021.jpg
2003 MLB Showdown Pennant Run Foil Reggie Jackson. The last non-promo A's MLB Showdown card I needed (*though I don't care about 1st Edition/Unlimited differences so I don't actually have everything, just everything I want). This one is a little beat up like somebody actually used it to play the game. The horror! It was noticeable from the eBay pics and I paid accordingly, doesn't bug me too much, I'm not a gem mint or nothing guy.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
091221-1.jpg
The Hudson and Ellis complete the 7-card 2003 Mirror Gold Materials/25 team set to go along with the already completed Mirror Red and Blue sets. Joe Valentine was the last of the three /25 Mirror Gold Autographed A's cards I needed...there are another 4 Mirror Gold Autos SPed/5 that I do not have. For the non-auto/gu Mirror Red/Blue/Gold from 2003 the lone one I am missing is a Gold Mark Mulder, so I'm pretty close to filling all of my needs above /5. Tejada puts me two away from the 2002 Mirror Blue/75 team set.

091221-2.jpg
Still need quite a few to finish 2000 Topps MVP Promotion but the Tejada is a nice addition. I also still need quite a few 2002 Topps Chrome Black Refractors (ten of them!), these have been getting more expensive. The last two or three I've picked up have set me back $20+ each. McGwire re-completes my 1996 Leaf Bronze Press Proof team set, after I discovered a few weeks ago that my original Bronze McGwire was actually a Gold that I apparently got a good deal on. And finally, you don't see many of the 2003 Leaf Greens around, this Jermaine Dye is 05/25.

Members online