Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 2021 - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
View attachment 311993
The Hudson and Ellis complete the 7-card 2003 Mirror Gold Materials/25 team set to go along with the already completed Mirror Red and Blue sets. Joe Valentine was the last of the three /25 Mirror Gold Autographed A's cards I needed...there are another 4 Mirror Gold Autos SPed/5 that I do not have. For the non-auto/gu Mirror Red/Blue/Gold from 2003 the lone one I am missing is a Gold Mark Mulder, so I'm pretty close to filling all of my needs above /5. Tejada puts me two away from the 2002 Mirror Blue/75 team set.

View attachment 311994
Still need quite a few to finish 2000 Topps MVP Promotion but the Tejada is a nice addition. I also still need quite a few 2002 Topps Chrome Black Refractors (ten of them!), these have been getting more expensive. The last two or three I've picked up have set me back $20+ each. McGwire re-completes my 1996 Leaf Bronze Press Proof team set, after I discovered a few weeks ago that my original Bronze McGwire was actually a Gold that I apparently got a good deal on. And finally, you don't see many of the 2003 Leaf Greens around, this Jermaine Dye is 05/25.
Good stuff. I always liked the Leaf certified mirror cards.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Let's get the big one out of the way first:

091321-1.jpg
Since this is a BGS 9.5 I figured it would for sure go waaay over $100 but I ended up winning it for about $90. It's not like Gray is a HOFer but he's alright. Around the same time this one ended there was a Tim Hudson 1999 Ultimate Victory /100 Parallel and my snipe was set lower for that one figuring it was just a regular parallel, not even a BC Gold Refractor. Yeah I got blown out of the water on that one, it sold for $250+.

091321-2.jpg
Dye is another Mirror Gold to go with my other recent pickups. McKinney gets me one away from completing 2014 Bowman Chrome A's Gold Refractors. I'm 3 away from the 1999 Stadium Club One of a Kind/150 team set after picking up this Candiotti, but one I'm missing is Rickey so I'll have to get lucky there. The Zito Heritage Black Refractor was a nice steal, the auction didn't say "Black" anywhere so I got it for 99 cents plus shipping. Swisher puts me one away from completing the 2005 Reflections Turquoise/50 team set. And the James Kaprielian Chrome auto shows what happens with that design when somebody just really wants to sign their name straight across the whole card.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
He has to beat his teammate first! Urias is having a career year as well and may be a front runner. as well Their stat lines are pretty similar to each other across the board. I didn't realize it until I was checking the roster this morning! 17-3, 2.98 ERA and 175 Ks to Buehler's 14-3, 2.32 and 189 Ks.

What an embarrassment of riches at the moment for the Dodgers. Let’s not forget Scherzer is also in the mix for that staff. If any of those three win it, I wouldn’t be upset but I think it goes to Burnes.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
What an embarrassment of riches at the moment for the Dodgers. Let’s not forget Scherzer is also in the mix for that staff. If any of those three win it, I wouldn’t be upset but I think it goes to Burnes.

It should go to Burnes but it wouldn't shock me if he finished 5th or 6th behind Buehler, Urias, Scherzer, and Wainwright.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
To me there is no choice other than Buehler. But if Wainwright wins I'll be happy. Call that a sentimental pick.
Burnes and Wheeler are way ahead of everyone else by advanced metrics. Scherzer is third by about 20% behind Wheeler.

Buehler's ranks:
IP - 2nd
K/9 - 12th
BB/9 - 12th
ERA - 3rd
FIP - 6th
Wins - 4th

He's obviously a great pitcher but the Dodgers are scoring almost 6 runs a game for him. It's pretty easy to be relaxed and have a great Win/Loss record with that kind of support. They're scoring over 6 per game for Urias so most of the same caveats apply.

Burnes is getting 4.28 per from the Brewers. Wainwright is getting 4.55 and Wheeler is only getting 4 runs per from the Phillies.

I think Buehler wins it on the shiny Win/Loss Record, Innings Pitched, and "Dodgers Ace" thing but I don't think he is the best pitcher in the NL this year.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
091721-1.jpg
Some more Mirrors. Hudson puts me 3 away from the 2004 Mirror Gold Fabric team set. Crosby leaves one more non-SPed 2005 Mirror Red Auto. Franklyn German puts me two away from the 2002 Mirror Gold team set, and T. Long leaves one to complete the Mirror Blue team set; still missing Mark Ellis for both the Blue and Gold, oddly tough to find for some reason. I do have the Red!

091721-2.jpg
The Ramon Laureano 2021 Stadium Club auto is cool looking so I had to grab one. He just needs to stay off the juice. The 2003 Leaf Blue Press Proof Dye is 30/50 and the 2018 Topps Update Father's Day Blue Familia is 04/50.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Mind telling me what I am looking at here?
A pretty rare early 90s find is what he's got there. Topps did redemptions for the black gold cards and it came in several forms. They broke down the whole set into four subsets, A, B, C and D you can find several varieties, some are individual group, some A/B etc...then some for the whole shabang. I'm far from an expert but I did a little research on these when I was going hard in my Biggio collection.

Latest posts