Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

September 2023 - New Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
2023 Topps Pristine Pink Pristine Refractor Ryan Helsely /15 - This one gets me down to just the Black Pristine 1/1 for the rainbow
View attachment 350633

Picked up three Bagwells today too that aren't crazy rare but aren't common either. The Fleer Tradition is the Glossy parallel /100 and the E-XCeptional Red is /1999. The Diamond Edition seems to show up even less than the others but it isn't numbered.

View attachment 350630View attachment 350631View attachment 350632
The Fleer Tradition is in style of 1963 Fleer. Nice card

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
I admitted it was my bad for not looking closer (and it wasn't the first time by any means - time is money and I scroll by listings quickly to get through as many as I can in my limited time) , but I don't absolve the seller either, for not doing their own research to list the card properly or purposely misleading buyers. As with anything I buy, since it's mostly low $ stuff, it's the principle. Hell, just last week or so I accidentally bought a Bunt digital card. Thankfully it was only a buck. I accepted my mistake, because the seller did NOTHING wrong. That was all me. This deal was not ALL me though.

I did message the seller pointing out the incorrect identification and my request for a return and they are handling it poorly by ignoring me completely. I might have let it slide if they replied with something, but ignoring the issue isn't the right way to handle it. In the end, I believe I would win a "not as described" case AND the seller has to pay for me to ship it back. At least i offered to ship it back at my cost and we each only lose a stamp in the deal.

Pay it forward to someone else if my comment is butt hurting YOU enough to want to pay me for the card. I don't need the money, nor was I asking for it.
A similar incident just happened to me. I traded with someone on TCDB. I listed a 85 Donruss Tom Seaver as a corrected version and he wanted it. When he received it he told me it was the error version not the corrected one. I apologized for my mistake. We are now communicating what to do next.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I was fortunate enough to grab the Jersey #22 / 25 Gold Certified Cuts from @jeffv96masters a while back (many thanks), and then this other Yanks jersey #12 /25 popped up, which I had to grab.

So, pretty cool adds to "Jersey # Jct" in my display area ( if its in the pic, its Jersey #d .)

I don't do dupes usually, but to have both Yanks jersey #s of a short print card I will make an exception.

Attachments

• 20230929_201857.jpg
    20230929_201857.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230929_201756.jpg
    20230929_201756.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230929_202342.jpg
    20230929_202342.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 5

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
093023-1.jpg 093023-2.jpg
1997 Pinnacle Yellow Press Plate Trent Dilfer. I already had the cyan plate but when this one popped up at $1,000/BO I offered what I thought was a fair price (while giving myself room to negotiate upwards) and it was accepted immediately. It was not anything near $1,000 of course. Makes me nostalgic for when printing plates were special, before they got way overdone and most of them are almost garbage. I have dozens and dozens of A's printing plates in my collection that I used to pick up for $10-15 until I just had too many and had to limit it to bidding on only the ones I thought were the best.

093023-3.jpg
A Recollection Collection Buyback from a few years ago, 2/2. This one sold for a shockingly high amount then was right back on eBay a day or two later. I ended up winning it for about half what it originally sold for. Wonder what went on there.

093023-4.jpg
Well I should include some baseball on the baseball board...a few more color 2023 Topps Chrome rookie autos, and a neat Khris Davis patch/auto 12/25.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
@Dilferules Those first 2 are nice. Way to wrap up the month! I know you would have shared if you wanted to let us know, but I'm certainly curious what you paid for it. I find that kind of thing fascinating, since we all value things differently.

I used to think $100 for ANY Garvey 1/1 was about as high as they should go. I sometimes feel like lower print run cards are just a little better because although 1/1 was a neat concept, the card makers have destroyed the specialness of it. There are WAY, WAY too many 1/1 cards now. Makes them easier to own, but much less special and a royal pain for the true completists.

Several sold for much more in the past and than $100, but you could often get them for much less. Now they often sell in the $100-150 range (but not because they are worth more now), but some still go for less. I'd rather have something like a Heritage /25 Auto/relic myself than one of those new Leaf base autographs that they did 20-30 or more 1/1s in different colors and patterns.

I am also wrapping up the month of a very high note with 2 cards. First the "ho-hum" card...

Rice /28. Really liked the Boardwalk & Baseball set. I just happened to be in bootcamp in Orlando, FL in 1987-88 and was able to visit the theme park during it's short-lived existence. I bought a set directly at the park. It was not super impressive, but glad I was able to go none the less. It was worth it for a baseball fan like myself, who had just graduated bootcamp and finally had freedom again to do things I wanted to do in my free time. Rice 28.jpg

This last item is my biggie. I don't recall even seeing this card before, although I must have. I have always really liked the special edition cards like this that were very popular in the 90s. The SPs, NNOs, 1-2 card special insert sets, Commemoratives, etc. This one was issued in a fairly limited quantity for the time, but now 2000 cards seems like a million! It's Classic, so they probably printed a billion cards and finding one at the time was probably like winning the lottery.

Each card was numbered to one of the first 2000 games in his consecutive games streak. This was actually the cheapest one I could fine (my kind of deal), but turns out it has some unique qualities as well as a personal connection. Mine is game #92, played September 6, 1982 against NY. The Orioles won 8-2 as was noted on the card. Cal was in his rookie season since he didn't play enough games in 1981 to disqualify and would go on to win ROY by the end of the year. Cool point #1.

The streak had started earlier that year in May, so this was so early nobody was even aware of the significance. I looked up the box and Ripken was 1-3 with a solo HR. Cool point #2.

13 years later to the day, Ripken would pass Lou Gehrig and set the record with game 2,131 on September 6, 1995. Cool point #3.

Finally, the personal connection is that September 6 was my mother's birthday.

I don't have many Ripken autos, but this ranks up there with the 1992 Donruss Elite Au I also have.

ripken Classic Au.jpgRipken Classic Au Back 9-6-82.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
@Dilferules Those first 2 are nice. Way to wrap up the month! I know you would have shared if you wanted to let us know, but I'm certainly curious what you paid for it. I find that kind of thing fascinating, since we all value things differently.

I paid $150 for the plate. With the significance of the set (the baseball versions were the first printing plates inserted in packs) and the market for Dilfer 1/1's I thought that was a fair price. I could have offered less and maybe still got it, but I wanted to offer something that the seller had a real chance of accepting quickly so I didn't get into some kind of "offer war" with another collector. A 1/1 from the recent sets Panini barfs out would probably sell for $150-200+ at auction and I'd much rather have one made during his actual playing career.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I paid $150 for the plate. With the significance of the set (the baseball versions were the first printing plates inserted in packs) and the market for Dilfer 1/1's I thought that was a fair price. I could have offered less and maybe still got it, but I wanted to offer something that the seller had a real chance of accepting quickly so I didn't get into some kind of "offer war" with another collector. A 1/1 from the recent sets Panini barfs out would probably sell for $150-200+ at auction and I'd much rather have one made during his actual playing career.
Wow, I wonder why they listed at $1K when willing to accept an offer at 15%? Good for you though.

Members online

Latest posts