Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SF Giants talk and collecting thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Giants just acquired Jake Peavy from the Red Sox in exchange for $$ and AAA pitchers Edwin Escobar (starter) and Heath Hembree (reliever).
Andrew Susac has been called up to replace Hector Sanchez as the Giants backup catcher.

Kinda surprised by the Susac call-up, but he was going to have to get added to the 40 man after the season anyway (rule 5 protection). Still, I figured playing every day in Fresno was better than playing every few days in SF, but hey, he's our best catching prospect.

Hembree was once viewed as the heir-apparent to Brian Wilson, and pitched decently when he was called up last year, but he's been a mess in Fresno this year. During spring training, Edwin Escobar was viewed as Bumgarner Jr, and supposed to be close, but he's struggled in AAA this year.

Anyways, Peavy was Bochy's darling in SD but he's been a mess in Boston, going 1-9 with a 4.72 era and 1.427 whip. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery.

Now we've got 2 guys who have sucked for other teams this year that we're hoping will magically put it together in SF.

Peavy looked ok in his start on Sunday, but man, that Uggla guy has to go. I'd rather see Panik every day.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Abreu DFA, Duvall optioned, Perez and TRAVIS ISHIKAWA called up.

In other news, Cain is meeting with Dr Andrews. :(

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I got a few new additions to my SF Giants rookie card (or parallel) collection:

2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars #/25: Dustan Mohr
Dude's short Giants career is known more for messing up in his final game: bottom of the 10th in SD, tie game. Bases loaded with 1 out. A foul ball was hit to the outfield, and Mohr tracked it down, caught it, then tripped over the bullpen mound and hurt himself. The runner on 3rd tagged up and got the Padres the walk-off.
2001Mohr.jpg

2005 SP Authentic Gold Auto #/10: Keiichi Yabu
Giants middle reliever during the dark 2008 season.
2005Yabu.jpg

2011 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Green Status Auto #/25: Andrew Susac
Trade bait, or the kid who'll help Posey transition to a corner infield spot.
2011Susac.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Colvin optioned before NY trip. Belt is probably getting activated shortly.

Curiously there was a rumor that Uggla got dfa, but the giants refused to confirm today. A few beat writers fed the rumor, citing "sources", so we'll see.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Giants made no deadline deals today.

As for Uggla, apparently the Giants left him behind and told him to go to Fresno. He can choose the do so and stay on the roster, or refuse and get dfa. I didn't know teams could do that with veteran players without running them through wavers.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Are you kidding?!

And... Cain likely done for season. No TJ surgery though. This is for the bone chips floating around in his elbow that he's always pitched with. Apparently they've gotten so bad that he can't pitch, so he'll get them removed.

Maybe this is why Cain's gone down-hill since 2012? 2013 was supposed to be his "breakout season", according to ESPN and MLB analysts.

Well, hopefully he'll get healthy and come back in 2014 and deal.

In other news, Uggla and Colvin DFA'ed. Matt Duffy (2b) and Jarrett Parker (OF) called up from AA.

Pretty big jump. Apparently these guys have been hot of late, and Sabien is trying to catch lightning in a bottle or something.

I've got a couple Parker cards. 2010 Elite. Oddly enough, his base auto (#/580) is on-card, while all of his lower-number autos are sticker. Kinda sucks.

10Parker580.jpg10Parker50.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Angel Pagan looked healthy in his AZL game last night. He's heading to Fresno for a game tonight.

Brandon Belt says he's feeling healthy and ready to go, but the Giants might have him do a rehab game first.

Scutaro's a lost cause and Cain's toast, but we might actually have our opening day starting lineup back shortly (with someone else starting 2nd instead of Arias hopefully).

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
And without even getting an MLB debut, Parker has been sent back down to make room for Belt, who's coming off the DL and starting tonight.

Though it's likely he'll come back at some point, Parker going to be a member of a small group of Giants players who got called up but demoted before making their MLB debut. Joel Chimelis and Jeff Urban unfortunately never made their way back up and ended their careers w/o reaching the bigs.

93Chimelis-phantom.jpg99Urban.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Angel Pagan will be arriving in Milwaukee a few hours after first pitch. He should be activated by tomorrow's game.

They've been 8 games under .500 since Pagan's been out (18-26). Maybe that magic of his will spark the team for the stretch run?

Nate Schierholtz got DFA'ed by the Cubs today.

I was a big fan of his when he was on the Giants. I thought he had the potential to be like Hunter Pence. Then all of a sudden we swapped him for the REAL Hunter Pence. LOL.

Last edited:

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Angel Pagan looked healthy in his AZL game last night. He's heading to Fresno for a game tonight.

Brandon Belt says he's feeling healthy and ready to go, but the Giants might have him do a rehab game first.

Scutaro's a lost cause and Cain's toast, but we might actually have our opening day starting lineup back shortly (with someone else starting 2nd instead of Arias hopefully).

I'm ok with a Panik/Duffy platoon at 2nd for the rest of the year. I like how they have played so far. Not spectacular, but steady defense and some good AB's. and please DFA Arias before I go nuts.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Angel Pagan will be arriving in Milwaukee a few hours after first pitch. He should be activated by tomorrow's game.

They've been 8 games under .500 since Pagan's been out (18-26). Maybe that magic of his will spark the team for the stretch run?

Nate Schierholtz got DFA'ed by the Cubs today.

I was a big fan of his when he was on the Giants. I thought he had the potential to be like Hunter Pence. Then all of a sudden we swapped him for the REAL Hunter Pence. LOL.

I love Nate.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I'm ok with a Panik/Duffy platoon at 2nd for the rest of the year. I like how they have played so far. Not spectacular, but steady defense and some good AB's. and please DFA Arias before I go nuts.

Do we even need a platoon? Panik seems to handle the few lefties he's faced so far (5 for 10).

I don't know what happened to Arias this year. He was a decent sub/bench guy in 2012 and 2013. His OPS is 200 points lower this year than it was the previous 2 years.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Do we even need a platoon? Panik seems to handle the few lefties he's faced so far (5 for 10).

Guess the Giants thought the same thing: Duffy got optioned to make room for Pagan.

That pretty much puts Blanco back on the bench as the late-inning Morse replacement.

Hopefully Morse finds his power stroke again.

2nd half:
Morse: .279/.333/.377, power potential, clank-mit,
Blanco: .290/.371/.323, no power, flawless defense

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Belt back to the DL with reoccurring concussion symptoms. :(

Well, that's one way to get Morse's clank-mit out of left field.

They must have figured something was up, because though Duffy got optioned yesterday morning, he stayed with the team and traveled with them to KC.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA

I don't know what happened to Arias this year. He was a decent sub/bench guy in 2012 and 2013. His OPS is 200 points lower this year than it was the previous 2 years.

Arias has been terrible this year, and I hope he never plays. Seriously.

Members online

Latest posts