Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shiller, Snipers & Sh*theads ... lets talk about it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I don't think I've ever been too upset about losing an auction. If I want something, I put the most I'm willing to pay for it and just check it when it ends. If I win great, if not oh well but I'm not nearly as avid a collector as most people here though.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Like i said, there is no stake in the game for me to change your mind, but you are in the minority here i would bet.

i'll just make one more point using myself as an example. I don't know your situation and it can change the process greatly from person to person. I work at an office. that office blocks ebay. I have to either snipe or bid before i go to work if the item ends during the work day. lots of auctions seem to end in the early evening, often when I am driving home. I can't physically be at my computer at end time for most auctions, nor do i want to be tied to the computer at certain times.

I also tend to bid on multiple items from sellers and often will find I have 20+ items ending at the same time. I can't bid on all of them at once, so again I either sniper or I toss a bid out before the end. This will allow manual bidders to beat me.

it's cool that you don't snipe, but it's interesting that you seem to be so anti-snipe. What is the downside to you if a free and reliable service is available? One obvious answer that may not yet have been mentioned is you need to share your password with the snipe service. That had me uneasy at first, but have never had a security issue. Not to say a service couldn't collect passwords then suddenly go rogue, but unlikely.

Anyway, I'll leave it alone now.

i disagree 100%.....aside from when i'm at my bowling league or on the way to or from work , i have access to a pc pretty much 24-7....i DO not have a smart phone or any other wireless device - and frankly i don't want those.....since 99% of my bids aren't submitted until the final 2-4 seconds , the shillers (or other legit underbidders) really do not have the opportunity to "chip away at my bid" (my bid is entered with no more than 4 seconds to go...they see they've been outbid but they have literally 1-2 seconds left to up it and that doesn't leave them time to bump it up little by little... ....as for items ending at 3 AM - love those.......i'm usually wide awake from 10 AM til the following morning at 7 AM.....even if i am not planning on sitting at my desk all day/night , if i have an item i really want that i know is closing at a certain time , i make sure i'm at my pc to place my bid at the end and if i KNOW i won't be available , i place my REAL bid before i leave....no one can ever convince me i should use a sniping program - manual bidding is by far better for me and i too am 100% sure that my last-second bids either win the item at the best possible price or lose out to a legit competitor who was going to top me whether i bid manually or via a program....

Members online

Latest posts