Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should I get these graded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deerfieldtaz

Sep 27, 2012
I want to send some things in for the BGS group sub on here, but had some opinions on the cards I have to submit from y'all before I do.

I know GEM grading has a bad rep & actually a lil worried about what I heard as far as them doing their own reprints, so wanted to get opinions before I send anything in & waste money.

What I want to send, dont really care if they get 9.5 or w'e, would rather have them BGS:
2002 Sage Pangos Gold Lebron James GEM grading gem mint 10
1982 Cal Ripken Topps GEM grading gem mint 10
1996 Finest Refractor w/ Film still on it Kobe GEM granding gem mint 10

The other cpl aren't graded by anyone but also would like opinions on these

89 UD Griffey Jr.
00 Royal Rookies Miguel Cabrera auto
00 Just Minors Gold Miguel Cabrera Auto
00 Just Minors Silver Miguel Cabrera Auto
1979 Sportscaster Earvin "Magic" Johnson (fake?)

Last edited:

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I, along with a majority of this board, will thrash you about the neck with a broken bottle if you use GEM grading.

Stick with PSA or BGS for modern stuff.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Obviously a learning experience is a good thing, go ahead and send them all in, enjoy the education!

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
If you don't really care if they get 9.5s why would you spend the money to get them grade?

deerfieldtaz

Sep 27, 2012
I'm not asking if I should send them into GEM, I have the cards already graded from them and kinda worried they may be fake & asking if its worth sending them to BGS to get regraded. Sorry I just re-read my original post & forgot to mention that I wanted to send them in the BGS group sub thru here.

But yes, I'd put a Min Grade of 8.5 on them otherwise it'd be 100% for protection cause have hopes of holding onto them for another 25+ yrs.

Last edited:

deerfieldtaz

Sep 27, 2012
So what do you guys think, should I send them in? & should I crack them myself before sending?

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
If the slabbed cards look good (don't look trimmed or have any sneaky creasing) and you can safely crack them then do it else you'll be paying an additional crack fee on top of the grading fee. The other cards you mention could have some enhanced value in a slab, if a 9 or better. It always helps to offer some large scans for better evaluation.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
After looking at the scans, I think I would just get some one touches and call it a day.

I don't know what the market is for any of the pictured cards in PSA or BGS holders but they look good enough on the front for 9. The exception might be the Cabrerra silver as it is off center in both directions and might have a speck of white on the upper left corner. It could take a liberal grader to get better than 8.5. The Gold Cabrerra appears to be just a little OC from left to right. I'd give it a 9 on the subgrade but it's close to 55/45 gem tolerance. The SAGE cards look mint and despite being in a GEM holder could really be gem mint. It just depends on subtle things one cannot garner from a scan and the back of course. It was quite common during the early to middle part of the last decade for some bulk dealers to dump a lot of cheap cards on GEM or BCCG as even semi-reputable slabs fetched a premium in the market. It was more about slab cost than liberal grades for these dealers and many of the cheaper cards at the time probably really would be gem mint in a PSA, BGS, or SGC holder. I'm not into the crossover game but there is probably some money to be had on anything not overly condition sensitive that has substantially appreciated in value of the years.

deerfieldtaz

Sep 27, 2012
Ok thanks for the input so far guys. What is the best way to crack them? I want to send in for the group sub on here

deerfieldtaz

Sep 27, 2012
I want to send in the Cabrera's w/ a cpl other Cabrera's I have but haven't seen a September send-in forum :-(

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Those threads have been starting a week later in recent months. Should be up in a week or so. You might even get the cards back faster than the July subbers at this rate. Good luck on the grades should you send them in.