Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Small project I have been working on that tracks prices of sold cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I have been working on a small project that tracks recent online sales of sports cards and automatically attempts to break them down into subsets for each release.

Since this is an automated process there is obviously never going to be 100% accuracy in the data because people don't always list their items with the same terminology.

Over the past few months I have gathered around 70k+ in online sales from about 150 different sets and subsets.

All of this data has been cataloged and is available for your viewing pleasure in a very simplistic manner.

I will be expanding on my venture in the very near future, but wanted to share my progress with everyone. As always, would love to hear your feedback.

Online Price Tracking System

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
that site looks great so far, I understand that the autos are the main selling point but I would love to see the base chrome rookies, and refractors etc be listed as well....Great Job on compiling a ton of data in a really easy to use format.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
that site looks great so far, I understand that the autos are the main selling point but I would love to see the base chrome rookies, and refractors etc be listed as well....Great Job on compiling a ton of data in a really easy to use format.

I plan on retooling the search and filter criteria down the road to pick up data like this, I struggled with it at first because it was nearly impossible to get a single card average price for base cards since they are ofter sold in lots, with other cards, or base/chrome combinations.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Nice idea. My quibble is with making sure the data's good. For instance, the Brooks Robinson bat knob from Tier One sold at auction for $735, and you have that recorded. However, it's currently on offer from the same seller for $999 BIN/BO. Apparently the first sale didn't go through, so that kinda invalidates the data.

Frow

Nice idea. My quibble is with making sure the data's good. For instance, the Brooks Robinson bat knob from Tier One sold at auction for $735, and you have that recorded. However, it's currently on offer from the same seller for $999 BIN/BO. Apparently the first sale didn't go through, so that kinda invalidates the data.

I'm not sure how that would invalidate the data seeing as it did technically sell. Just because they then turned around and boosted the price through the roof doesn't change the fact of the original sale.

Overall good stuffs

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I'm not sure how that would invalidate the data seeing as it did technically sell. Just because they then turned around and boosted the price through the roof doesn't change the fact of the original sale.

Overall good stuffs

It invalidates it because te transaction wasn't completed.It is relisted by the SAME seller.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
It invalidates it because te transaction wasn't completed.It is relisted by the SAME seller.

This isn't meant to be the bible of price guides, it's simply a helpful tool. Unless someone wants to validate all sales made through eBay to see if the buyer actually paid, or the seller actually shipped, then it's meant to just offer a historic look at items listed and their perceived final sale price.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Very cool. Noticed the 2012 Bowman Supers you had Darvish listed but they where for the base short print.
You may want to add "fractor" to the search.

How did you learn to do this? Pretty freaking cool and I hope you can turn it into a profit maker.
Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Very cool. Noticed the 2012 Bowman Supers you had Darvish listed but they where for the base short print. May want to add fractor to the search.
How did you learn to do this? Pretty freaking cool and I hope you can turn it into a profit maker.
Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for pointing that out. Definitely need to try and clean up some of the "keyword loaded" auctions that have been filtered into the data.

I have some programming experience, so I just used that with some of my hobby knowledge to try and create this. Still very much a work-in-progress.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Last edited:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
This isn't meant to be the bible of price guides, it's simply a helpful tool. Unless someone wants to validate all sales made through eBay to see if the buyer actually paid, or the seller actually shipped, then it's meant to just offer a historic look at items listed and their perceived final sale price.

I love information like this. At the risk of never sounding satisfied... and to risk sounding lazy for not doing it myself..., it would be interesting to follow sales over time with regard to individual cards *and* all cards of a set in average with a line graph :)

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
That's awesome! I was just trying to figure out what to price this card at that I just picked up.
JedBradley.jpg

and this exact card was in your results. Thank you for this and I hope it makes you some money someday. Way better than terapeak for sure (if that is what you are going for)

Members online