Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So looks like Leaf is on to something....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
If MLB were to grant a second license right now, it would be Panini's. And if BG really believed what he was saying, he'd just print the stupid logos & then fight the good fight. Upper Deck did it, once. There's a reason they didn't repeat that move.

They had signed an agreement as part of their license NOT to challenge the marks.. If they hadn't stupidly signed this, they woulda won!

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
Brian is comparing himself to Rosa Parks now lol
1. $1 million minimum legal expenses
2. The companies with licenses now do NOT want people like me in the game. Because on level playing field, I would be a major force.
3. Someone has to break ground. Why didn't before Rosa Parks refuse to sit in the back of the bus?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Brian is comparing himself to Rosa Parks now lol

111.gif

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
BG, do you think the results of the recent EA lawsuits will have a positive or negative impact on future licensing related cases? Specifically Pecover -vs- EA where it was ruled that EA had a monopoly on interactive football video games and Ed O'Bannon -vs- EA/NCAA which eventually was settled and EA discontinued their college football product because of the litigation costs associated with using college football related images and trademarks.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I don't think BG is comparing himself to Rosa Parks, just he is willing to challenge the establishment, by himself and ready to put up a fight in doing so. Someone has to challenge or its going to be 'back of the bus' as usual and Topps will always ride in the front!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I do worry about a collisional effort by MLB with the MLBPA to not grant a license to BG in the future whether BG wins or loses.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
What would you guys do if MLB got mad and just ended all licensing for baseball cards?

Not that I think that would ever happen, just wondering what you guys would do with yourselves?

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
What would you guys do if MLB got mad and just ended all licensing for baseball cards?

Not that I think that would ever happen, just wondering what you guys would do with yourselves?

I think you're missing BG's point entirely, thats what he's trying to do anyway is go around MLB license because the focal point isnt the team or its logo, it is the player. The MLBPA covers what he's trying to do.

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I think you're missing BG's point entirely, thats what he's trying to do anyway is go around MLB license because the focal point isnt the team or its logo, it is the player. The MLBPA covers what he's trying to do.

I was just asking a question. It wasn't directed at anything else in the thread.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I was just asking a question. It wasn't directed at anything else in the thread.

Again, I think you're missing BG's point. Take MLB out of the equation and it doesnt matter if MLB wants cards or not.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
BG, do you think the results of the recent EA lawsuits will have a positive or negative impact on future licensing related cases? Specifically Pecover -vs- EA where it was ruled that EA had a monopoly on interactive football video games and Ed O'Bannon -vs- EA/NCAA which eventually was settled and EA discontinued their college football product because of the litigation costs associated with using college football related images and trademarks.

I am very familiar with this case and it has no bearing on the topic I have broached... BG

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I do worry about a collisional effort by MLB with the MLBPA to not grant a license to BG in the future whether BG wins or loses.

If they can prove that trading cards provide information on historical events like in the Buzz Aldrin case, no one would need any permission from anyone. It would be wide open and some of the great card designers on here would be free to take or purchase pictures, design their own card sets, print them up and sell them.

cardsrus1

Oct 26, 2010
Bloomington, IL
If they can prove that trading cards provide information on historical events like in the Buzz Aldrin case, no one would need any permission from anyone. It would be wide open and some of the great card designers on here would be free to take or purchase pictures, design their own card sets, print them up and sell them.
Not without the players approval...

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Not without the players approval...

Yes, without the players' approval, as that was the basis of the main case that BG is relying on (Cardtoons vs. MLBPA). He would be trying to extend it to incidental use of logos, therefore taking on MLB, but the precedent he refers to took on the players' union and allowed use of a player's likeness on 1st amendment grounds.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008

I believe you are correct, however I dont anticpate us pursuing this so long as we continue to enjoy success dealing with the players on an individual basis.. BG

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
cosby.png

after all these pages, this is how I feel... (so many negative posts.. )

I think that if many of the posters who made negative comments would put their personal feelings for BG and Leaf aside and research the facts there would be less negative comments and more actual discussion. A few poster I have seen on this thread could seriously hurt someone with that point at the top of their head (Yes, I am saying they are narrow minded) when they could be looking at this issue with a critical eye, making an educated decision on the subject.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Why is it we cannot have a serious discussion on these boards about a matter that may effect us all. Dang...this place is maddening sometimes.

Because of people like Twingnats, who have probably never bought a Leaf product in their lives, yet like to run their mouths and make every topic personal.

Members online

Latest posts