Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So with NO NHL going on, how are you filling the void???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
So with the NHL in a lock-out, with no end in sight, how are you guys filling the void of no NHL??

Like are you following a different sport instead??

Decided to follow a different Hockey league, like the AHL, CHL or KHL??

Maybe do something that doesn't involve sports??

How is this gonna change your Hockey collecting habits?? are you still gonna collect while the NHL is in Lock-out??

Myself personally, im really following the CFL and the NFL at the moment, which i do normally anyways.

Im following Baseball playoffs closer then i normally do. Instead of just watching Yankees games, ive been pretty much watching all the games, haha.

I also plan to really follow the Western Hockey League (WHL) and my Calgary Hitmen this year. This is junior Hockey, teenagers and a few 20 year olds trying to get drafted by an NHL team (in some cases some players have already been drafted by NHL teams).

The last time we had a lock-out in 04/05, the Calgary Hitmen set a North American record for most attendance from a non-NHL team. That year the Hitmen averaged around 11, 000 fans per game.

as of now im not sure how this will effect my Hockey collecting, but i cant see it helping it at all!! LOL

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
EDIT

I will be totally focusing on the WCHA this year. My team is UMD, but I will be getting season tickets to BSU next year so I'd like to see them do well, and I have a soft spot for Minnesota (I am a terrible fan, I know).

I will also be following the Rochester Ice Hawks of the MNHJL, as I will be seeing a lot of them in a few years.

As far as collecting, I am really bummed that I won't be able to get a Photofile of Parise and Suter, but I still have plenty of other stuff to chase.

Last edited:

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Don't think anyone will notice NHL is out till after Super Bowl other than few hardcore fans in US cities. Sure it's much different in Canada. Here in Boston no one really seems to care other than people working for the team.
I will watch NBA much more now.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I figured with all the players sitting at home, was there ever a better time to get autos TTM! Here's one of my firsts:

IMG_zps49e0dd11.jpg

And he added this one in the return envelope:

IMG_0001_zpsca2c66b7.jpg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
What does WHCA stand for?

Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

It's NCAA hockey.

I'm quite bummed though. Some WCHA/CCHA are going to leave their leagues to form the Big-10 after this season, and I am going to become a season ticket holder next year at BSU.

EDIT: As far as my collecting habits go, I will still try to pick up signed 8x10s of Wild guys, as well as stuff from WCHA teams that I follow.

Last edited:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Don't think anyone will notice NHL is out till after Super Bowl other than few hardcore fans in US cities. Sure it's much different in Canada. Here in Boston no one really seems to care other than people working for the team.

People here sure care, and not just because of the Parise/Suter deal. Businesses are going to suffer greatly as well.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary

Ya, i know not many peeps in the USA will care except for the really hardcore fans. But ya, much different in Canada, its really devastating here, especially with the cooler weather upon us.

Its really gonna effect a lot of the pubs and bars here as well, as many peeps like to gather to watch the games. No Saturday night "Hockey Night In Canada" parties either.

Where you are in Boston (and other big US cities) you have other professional sports teams to watch. Here in Calgary we have the Flames and the CFL's Calgary Stampeders (While the CFL is a professional league, cant compare to NFL if ya know what im saying). You guys still have NFL, NBA and MLB to keep u guys happy.

Oh and ya ill be following the NBA much closer this year as well!

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
CCHA! More college hockey, and it's the last year for this conference before the Big Ten starts their own conference. We aren't in conference play yet, but Go Blue!

ManCrafts

Oct 11, 2012
I have an 8X10 Blylevin Auto, I think it has the HOF inscription. Let me know if you are interested in this.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Those are most definitely not autopenned. They are way too clean, and I spot a lot of differences.

Ghost? Possibly, but not autopenned

Disagree. They are the exact same. Spacing, numbers, slant, angle of everything. Anybody who knows anything about autos could spot these as auto penned.

What is are all the differences you see in them? I'd like to hear them. One scan is blown up larger, but autos are identical.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Absolutely auto-penned Gretzkys.

Sent from a handheld, intergalactic communicator.

Auto penned or not, the point is if the NHL and the players don't make a deal (hopefully they'll agree on this new 6 yr proposal) then I'll be working on autos TTM. I figure more players will respond to the mail than during a non-lockout.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
People here sure care, and not just because of the Parise/Suter deal. Businesses are going to suffer greatly as well.

Ya i bet. I know Minnesota is a big Hockey state!! Thats why its called "The Hockey State", haha. But yeah, should be an exciting time for Wild fans with the big signings!!

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Disagree. They are the exact same. Spacing, numbers, slant, angle of everything. Anybody who knows anything about autos could spot these as auto penned.

What is are all the differences you see in them? I'd like to hear them. One scan is blown up larger, but autos are identical.

Yeah those are auto-penned, i noticed it right when he posted them, just didnt have the heart to say anything, lol.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Auto penned or not, the point is if the NHL and the players don't make a deal (hopefully they'll agree on this new 6 yr proposal) then I'll be working on autos TTM. I figure more players will respond to the mail than during a non-lockout.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

I have to disagree. You send the TTM's to the stadium and arenas right? Well if there no Hockey, the players have no reason to be going there and thus wont be getting their fan mail. Most of the players are still in their Summer homes, their "Home Towns" or even playing in different leagues around the World, they won't be getting their mail till they return to their teams.

Members online

Latest posts