Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Somewhat Embarrassing Find - A's 1/1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
At various times, there have been discussions about the potential for not identifying a big hit when busting wax. Whether it be an unnumbered SSP or just a card that gets buried in the stacks of cards in a collection.

Well.....2015 Bowman got me. I was organizing cards last weekend and grabbed a pile of Bowman autos of has-beens and never-weres and found this. In hindsight, I'm somewhat relieved that it was a 6th round middle-reliever that I missed this on. Still embarrassing.

I placed this card next to a base auto and it doesn't scream "I'm special". The only difference is the color of the right border and the light gray just isn't the best to show a striking difference for a 1/1.

07e7YQkl.jpg D56qQWxl.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
At various times, there have been discussions about the potential for not identifying a big hit when busting wax. Whether it be an unnumbered SSP or just a card that gets buried in the stacks of cards in a collection.

Well.....2015 Bowman got me. I was organizing cards last weekend and grabbed a pile of Bowman autos of has-beens and never-weres and found this. In hindsight, I'm somewhat relieved that it was a 6th round middle-reliever that I missed this on. Still embarrassing.

I placed this card next to a base auto and it doesn't scream "I'm special". The only difference is the color of the right border and the light gray just isn't the best to show a striking difference for a 1/1.

View attachment 355317 View attachment 355318
Yep. This is exactly why I don't expect to ever find the 2015 Bowman Metallic 1/1 Ryan Helsley I need. It looks way too much like a base card.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
That one might be too embarrassing even for me! ha. Of course I do own the base, Silver/499, Purple/250, Blue/150, Green/99, and Gold/50 versions just because. But not the Red/5, that would just be silly. TCDB does not list a 1/1 parallel but Beckett does list a Black 1/1...looks more gray to me but Topps is kind of color blind.

If it makes you feel any better, this guy's cards were never worth anything, they were dirt commons in that set from day 1. So at least you didn't miss out on a huge sale.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
That one might be too embarrassing even for me! ha. Of course I do own the base, Silver/499, Purple/250, Blue/150, Green/99, and Gold/50 versions just because. But not the Red/5, that would just be silly. TCDB does not list a 1/1 parallel but Beckett does list a Black 1/1...looks more gray to me but Topps is kind of color blind.

If it makes you feel any better, this guy's cards were never worth anything, they were dirt commons in that set from day 1. So at least you didn't miss out on a huge sale.
Thanks for the laugh. As a 25 yo who was a 6th round pick, I figured he was basically a common from the jump. The card is definitely gray and fits with other Metallic 1/1s but I had a hard time finding info on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts