Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sports illustrated and programs advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benbabs

Oct 29, 2020
Looking for any advice:
Have an associate that I have bought few hundred dollars of stuff through the years at flea market, local toy show and garage sale. He lives a couple streets over so we see each other few times a year and I always am friendly. I have overpaid for some stuff and gotten deals on others. Anyways, the guy called me the other day to come check out his old sports illustrateds and other mostly sports related publications. Some programs, old Beckett’s, etc. He has about 1000 we will be going through. Right now he is charging me 4-5 per publications since I am first person to go through it. He has his own stash in a book case that he will hopefully let me Atleast look at once we get through other stuff. I have known guy for 5 years, always am respectful and nice. He treats it as a business then a hobby. The publications (1,000) are well taken care of probably 20% of si’s from 60s and 70s are no labels which is what I am cherry picking. Seems like guy wants to unload, how do I go about making reasonable offer of $1500 for whole lot when guy is tough nut crack? He wants to squeeze every penny out of any type of deal. I know that once he puts these mags out at flea market the conditions will be ruined and most people don’t pay more than $2 for most publications.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I guess why you want them is not important (are you looking to keep some or most, flipping for a profit, etc?), but not knowing what is included, it's hard to say if that is an enticing offer. I find magazines weird. I can't seem to sell them for **** online, but when I see one I want, it's almost always overpriced. They are tough to ship cheaply too. If they get too heavy, you pretty much have to ship flat rate priority or pay just as much or more for first class. Are people paying more than a buck or two for "common" magazines? Obviously special and older/more limited items should be worth more, but say SIs from the 80s, which are plentiful, I would be happy to get $2.

If your estimate is close, you are offering about $1.50 per magazine, which seems pretty strong to me, especially if the guy is wanting to unload. Selling at $4-5 per may take him a very long time. Here is a chance to get out clean for $1500. However, if you are paying $5 for magazines that might bring $10-15 or more, then that offer might be a bit insulting.

Benbabs

Oct 29, 2020
Thanks for reply mr mopar: Like collecting and even reading the publications. Never sold anything and don’t plan to anytime soon. I am 35 and through the years I have found programs from Mjs final college game, hank setting new hr record and a bunch of cool stuff. About a 1/3 of mag I pick out he puts to the side to keep himself. Lucky I guess That he was willing to let me be first one to look through them. I’ll probably update once I m able to go over and look through some more.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

Benbabs

Oct 29, 2020
Went over and spent another hour plus change going through more boxes.
Spent 70 bucks on 28 publications. Some hockey and soccer programs. Couple more 70s no label si’s, late 70s regional college basketball mags and some 1970s nfl prologs (official annuals, bulky but don’t see them often and cool as heck).
Guy I am buying from is loosening a little. Still putting more to the side than he is willing to sell, (he is 70, wife is pushing him to downsize, said out of nowhere he has 10 good years left of hauling this stuff around to try and sell).

Latest posts