Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

St. Louis Cardinals Being Investigated by the FBI For Hacking the Astros

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This is pretty uncharted water for Major League Baseball.

I have no idea what will happen.

How do the Astros get compensation? Money from the Cardinals? Draft picks from them?

Is someone going to jail enough compensation?

There's still a whole lot of unknown here.

Will there be a lawsuit from the Astros? Without one are they really due any compensation? How can we judge if they were hurt at all by any of this?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I may not know another persons intent, but I can READ several different articles where this exact same thing is stated.

Reading is overrated though. Screw reading. Especially reading a trusted source like the New York Times. I'm just going to listen to other people talking out of their ass on the Internet on message boards from now on and see how far that gets me.

Sound good to you?

Until a report comes out, everyone is talking out of their butts. Especially loyal cardinal fans that love their team and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, people who hate the cardinals will love this.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Bill Plaschke is an idiot, by the way.

I read his article earlier saying there is cause for concern now due to the Dodgers being beaten by the Cardinals in the playoffs the last two seasons. The only cause for concern is that the Dodgers best pitcher welts like lettuce when the brightest of lights are on.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Until a report comes out, everyone is talking out of their butts. Especially loyal cardinal fans that love their team and there is nothing wrong with that.

I've not seen one Cardinals fan defending anything, or making excuses. I don't think the Cardinals will hide anything either.

I'm really surprised this didn't come out sooner.

The FBI went into Busch Stadium and confiscated computers over a year ago. How does this not get leaked before then? Especially with all the front office personnel immediately lawyering up.

Someone's going to prison I'm assuming. And it'll be justified. Just imagine if this were two huge corporations in the business world, it would be a huge story.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I don't know enough about the damages to say they do or do not deserve compensation. I am fascinated by what the FBI eventually turns up.

That said, they are responsible for leaking the information about Mission Control to Deadspin. It should be easy to prove damage from that.

I don't want the Cardinals crucified. I do want them fairly punished and, if justified, I want the Astros compensated.

Last bit: the password was taken from a master list kept by Cardinals management. There is no way a low-level employee had access to this without some complacency by a high level management member. That fact alone is going to be enough to hold the organization responsible regardless of which employees are scapegoated.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don't know enough about the damages to say they do or do not deserve compensation. I am fascinated by what the FBI eventually turns up.

That said, they are responsible for leaking the information about Mission Control to Deadspin. It should be easy to prove damage from that.

I don't want the Cardinals crucified. I do want them fairly punished and, if justified, I want the Astros compensated.

Last bit: the password was taken from a master list kept by Cardinals management. There is no way a low-level employee had access to this without some complacency by a high level management member. That fact alone is going to be enough to hold the organization responsible regardless of which employees are scapegoated.

What blows my mind is that Luhnow hadn't changed his passwords since he left the Cardinals in 2011. Really man? Come on. How stupid is this guy?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Someone told me last night that he was listening to the Christopher Russo radio show yesterday and heard them saying that whoever hacked into the Astros account was looking for information on who the Astros were trying to trade for at the deadline, and who they were offering up for that player. That they got the information and took it to the higher ups.

I haven't seen that anywhere else other than hearing it from him.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Someone told me last night that he was listening to the Christopher Russo radio show yesterday and heard them saying that whoever hacked into the Astros account was looking for information on who the Astros were trying to trade for at the deadline, and who they were offering up for that player. That they got the information and took it to the higher ups.

I haven't seen that anywhere else other than hearing it from him.

If that is true, this is going to be very bad for the Cardinals.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Why do people care so little about this?

I agree , I listened to a lil of Cowherd and he was like eh it's baseball/sports who cares. Well it 100s of million/billions baseball/sports, not little league. While I am not sure what they benefited from , I do know if my company and it's success = money , then it's not "its ok because it's sports"

Ryan

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
What blows my mind is that Luhnow hadn't changed his passwords since he left the Cardinals in 2011. Really man? Come on. How stupid is this guy?

He said he changed his passwords.He was also endorsed to the Astros owner by DeWitt and Mozeliak, so they didn't have any vendetta against him either.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I think people really cared right when the news broke. It was all over television.

But that night the Warriors won the NBA Finals. There's been a lot of talk about Tiger Woods. Church shooting. Something else happened in sports that I can't remember too.

Now it's a few days removed and more things are coming to light, and people think that it's just silly.

The Royals All Star voting is the other thing I was thinking of.

And it's the Cardinals. They don't have a bad reputation. So people aren't thinking too much into it.

I think overall that most people think it was lower level individuals who will be punished accordingly, and the ball club will be punished somehow as well.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
He apparently admitted to gaining access to the Astro system to see if they had stolen information. But said that he didn't leak any information or access the system again.

Members online

Latest posts