Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Star Company Baseball Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cyyoung41

Apr 5, 2022
Canada
Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any sites or articles to read about the Star baseball cards from the mid 80's? I follow the sites and have read several articles aboiut their basketball cards from that era, but cant seem to find anything about baseball.

thank you

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
There are a few guys who have a lot of knowledge about them out there due to collecting players in the various sets but I don't know of any website or anything dedicated specifically to them.

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Not trying to hijack your post, but Star Cards and their variations are a fun thing to research. I have a complete run of David Justice star cards EXCEPT this 1992 ad card. I'd pay what amounts to a king's ransom for what is ultimately a $1 card.

Attachments

• 1992 Ad Card.jpg
    1992 Ad Card.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 16

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
This site is about basketball cards but has a bit of history about the company itself too:

Vintage Collector

Jun 28, 2022
Kentucky
No website exists, but there are some threads on various websites you might can find. Many people probably do not know these exists, in all honesty. I think they're neat, and they are definitely rare, especially the 1988 rookie promos of players like Griffey.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I’ve thought several times about trying to add all of these sets to my site, but it is a daunting project and the years and variations are confusing.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They seem to be everywhere for certain players/sets and then others are non-existent. The first time I noticed Star of course, was when they issued the bagged 3 card panel set of Garvey around 1984 or so. I believe most, if not all, of the early baseball sets were panel form, which was probably not a good move. I don't think those were all that popular outside of specialty collectors grabbing items they needed/wanted. The bagged and cut player sets in the late 80s/early 90s were probably more popular at a time when everything was exploding in that bubble "investment" market. I don't know first hand though, because that was right when I was not paying much attention to the hobby.

In the mid-late 90s, I tried to get as many different Frank Thomas STAR cards as i could, while remaining reasonable in what I was willing to pay. Lots of suspicious & mysterious promos, different colored sets and such though. I probably ended up with a couple dozen different, including a few sets.

In the end, they are some of the most boring looking cards (front and back) ever made in my opinion and the original distribution seems to be weird as well, so no surprise they are not all that popular and shrouded in mystery.

Members online

Latest posts