Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

*************** Sunday Morning Thread ******

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caulaflour

Jan 29, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
So was I nuts to offer the guy $100 for this? He accepted. It was personally owned by Don Zimmer for 60 years. He played for Elmira in 1951, and got married at home plate during one of the team's games that year. This ball was game-used in the 7th game of the first round of the Eastern League playoffs that year. Not signed by anyone though. I really didn't know how to value it, but thought $100 sounded good. A cool piece for my Zim PC. He accepted the $100 after seeing my website and talking to me on the phone - thought I deserved it for my collection.

Don Zimmer Collection 1951 Eastern League Playoff GM Baseball Elmira PA Pioneers | eBay

Congrats on the addition to the collection...that's a really fun item. My favorite Zim moment happened during a Joe Torre interview in the post season several years back. As Fox personnel was communicating from the booth down to Joe in the dugout, Zimmer walked straight up to Torre with a surly expression and angrily told him to "get his head in the game." It was great.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Good story caulaflour. His life is full of them.

Zim's on dialysis, and having a hard time making Spring Training this year. Has to have a dialysis bag attached to him at all times. It will be his 65th straight year in organized baseball - one of the best traditions of spring training has become seeing Zim appear in uniform with a new number - he's changed his number every year since joining the Rays, and will wear 65 this year.

With Weaver and Musial passing yesterday, makes me wonder how long we'll have this baseball icon around too.

And if you've never seen photos of the inside of his condo, think mini Baseball Hall of Fame. His memorabilia is insane! Pretty cool to get a small piece of it.

caulaflour

Jan 29, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
What a great story, and what a terrific baseball wife! Takes a special woman to be what she is. And yeah....these things happening in 3s makes me nervous for guys like Zim.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts