Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

super beta,,,,,, thoughts?????????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Codasco07 said:
hive17 said:
What were to criteria for the players that made the list? Just curious. If you need info, I have some Yount infor I can donate.

There's two searches I do everyday and record- Pujols and 1/1. From time to time, I will update bat barrels and mlb logo patches. When a new set releases like Triple Threads, Topps Unique, or BDP, I'll include searches for those sets until the initial rush has ended.

I don't eman how were the prices selected, I mean, how were the players selected? I see Brad Nelson for the Brewers who sucks, but no David Nilsson? Now, i can assume it's because Nelson actually has rare cards in the last 5-8 years, yet so does Nilsson. But was there a line drawn in the sand as far as time-frame?

Again, just curious. I like the database and want to know where I can send helpful info :)

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Codasco07 said:
hive17 said:
What were to criteria for the players that made the list? Just curious. If you need info, I have some Yount infor I can donate.

There's two searches I do everyday and record- Pujols and 1/1. From time to time, I will update bat barrels and mlb logo patches. When a new set releases like Triple Threads, Topps Unique, or BDP, I'll include searches for those sets until the initial rush has ended.

You know that's irregal, right?

Either way, how much do you want for the data? I'd love to look through it.

Stryk

Aug 7, 2008
I would have loved to have this data a month ago. I saw a Frank Thomas/Magglio Dual Bat Barrel that was listed horribly that only went for 169. Wish I would have known what they went for.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Outside of Pujols, I search by set, not player. If the player turned up in the set search, he was recorded. This is FCBs data now, I emailed Chris an update this morning and there should be over 10,000 points. Once it is all set up, it will be updated daily but for now I am updating it using my system and sending Chris periodic updates.

There was suppossed to be a blog set up, but I can't find it so I will use this thread to take input as tp what to track. Here's the current searches:

Pujols (Rookies, daily)
1/1s (daily)
Topps Unique, Bowman Draft (daily)
Crusades, logo patch, bat barrel, Jeter/Griffey Buybacks (weekly)

Additionally when there is a noteworthy cut sale that I see I will include it. This currently takes about 20 minutes a day so there is a limit.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Although a lot of effort has already been put into this, but if I may suggest an improvement: it can be helpful to know whether the price was achieved via straight-up auction or BIN/BO.

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
uniquebaseballcards said:
Although a lot of effort has already been put into this, but if I may suggest an improvement: it can be helpful to know whether the price was achieved via straight-up auction or BIN/BO.

Agree 100%. Some (many) of those were a BIN that was well below what a auction would have netted. Overall, I love the idea & info provided. Keep up the great work!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Also above what it would have ended at auction, which is probably why we're seeing soooo many more BIN/BO options nowadays.

Cobra29svt said:
Agree 100%. Some (many) of those were a BIN that was well below what a auction would have netted. Overall, I love the idea & info provided. Keep up the great work!

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
uniquebaseballcards said:
Also above what it would have ended at auction, which is probably why we're seeing soooo many more BIN/BO options nowadays.

Cobra29svt said:

Very true, but that is still a price someone was willing to pay, where as the "steals" are still leaving a lot of $$$ on the table. Does that make any sence? My main example is the Frank Thomas '08 Finest 1/1 I bought for $80BIN. No way that sells for $80 at auction. The '08 Topps Chrome Super was also a $195 BIN. The '07 Bowman Chrome Super went for just under $500 at auction to give something to compare to.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
No matter which position you're taking, keeping track of BIN/BOs is important because you know you'd be comparing apples to apples!

Your '08 Finest Thomas sounds cheap at $80, I would've bid higher than that. Also if the '08 Topps Super wasn't BIN it probably would've went a lot higher; I'd have paid more had I seen that.

Cobra29svt said:
Very true, but that is still a price someone was willing to pay, where as the "steals" are still leaving a lot of $$$ on the table. Does that make any sence? My main example is the Frank Thomas '08 Finest 1/1 I bought for $80BIN. No way that sells for $80 at auction. The '08 Topps Chrome Super was also a $195 BIN. The '07 Bowman Chrome Super went for just under $500 at auction to give something to compare to.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Regardless if it's a BIN or an auction it's still a sale....that's the only way to look at it when tracking sales.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Clearly BINs/BOs help account for anomalies within certain kinds of sales, most notably the rare cards that are being tracked here. Price anomalies certainly exist within rare cards, especially if one offers a BIN that's either a bargain or out-of-whack too expensive.

Auctions tell us more about the price of a card than BINs/BOs as more than one person is willing to bid the top price, making the final price more reliable.

There's a reason why Beckett doesn't generally list prices on cards #/25 or less, so the prices of these types of cards often do have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Fandruw25 said:
Regardless if it's a BIN or an auction it's still a sale....that's the only way to look at it when tracking sales.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Fandruw25 said:

Agreed. Titles probably affect the sales price more than the listing style and tracking those wouldn't be too helpful either.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Codasco07 said:
Fandruw25 said:

Agreed. Titles probably affect the sales price more than the listing style and tracking those wouldn't be too helpful either.

I'll got a step further and say one of the Andruw Sales that is listed...was never completed....it sold and the buyer never paid....I know because I was the seller....so it's another variable.

I think what the OP is doing is great and no one (excluding business like beckett) too date has done anything and if you have, then please step forth.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Good info, this sort of thing is necessary. But I'd suggest a couple improvements. The player list should be alpha by last name, or at least have the option. And the source of the sale would also be most helpful. There are a couple Sizemore cards listed, 2008 Topps Update Platinum and 2009 Topps Chrome Super, that I can't believe I would have missed on ebay unless they were listed completely horribly. If sold through another venue, it'd be great to have. And if on ebay, the name of the seller and buyer, if available, would also be great to have.

And note if the price is BIN or straight up auction. I wouldn't care about the price so much as if the card has been spotted in the wild.

BTW, there's a Sizemore and Sizmore listed.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Of non-rare or semi-rare cards perhaps. You may never be able to tell otherwise with rare cards - there isn't likely another example to compare it to.

Codasco07 said:

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Fandruw25 said:
Codasco07 said:
Fandruw25 said:

I'll got a step further and say one of the Andruw Sales that is listed...was never completed....it sold and the buyer never paid....I know because I was the seller....so it's another variable.

I think what the OP is doing is great and no one (excluding business like beckett) too date has done anything and if you have, then please step forth.

I guess I'll say this again.

No one's done this because they'll get sued!

Ebay completed auction data is property of ebay inc. and must be licensed at a very pretty penny...

Once you start listing buy it now/auction type stuff, or even saying that you got the data from ebay, you're leaving yourself open.

When it comes to fair use stuff, eBay barely has a leg to stand on... but with that said, they'll have no problem making you rack up massive legal bills.

So long as no information ties it to ebay, you're probably set but if someone ever finds it, and realizes you've made a profit off it, watch the hell out.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
Are certain sets not tracked? I ask b/c I didn't see Justin Smoak and his only cards are Tristar, USA, and Razor.

Cool info though, I wish I had some of those rare Boggs cards. I have never even seen a 3000 hit card of his.

Members online

Latest posts