Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Layer 6 is Complete!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
This is "hands down :)" the single greatest contest ever offered on FCB - to have a 1/33 chance seems almost unreal. Thank you again for the late add to the contestant pool. I feel like a winner just to have the opportunity!!!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Kind words, Bill. Thanks. However, the odds of taking home the top prize are a bit steeper than 1:33. Even so, I would not be shocked if someone manages to win it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out...

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Official Thread

For sure on the grand prize, but even without it to offer up those cash prizes, at each tier, which will in all likelihood be won, is extremely generous!

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
This is awesome.
I am having the hardest time reading it after I print it out though.
Any suggestions?

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
Can the player with 3+ hits be a pitcher like players hit 3+ hits off him?

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
We have our first bingo!

[MENTION=1873]wildcat4[/MENTION] has completed layer 1. One of his initials was JF. Jose Fernandez had 10 strikeouts tonight.

Please PM me with your Paypal address. $10 is yours.

Everyone may begin working on layer 2 starting on July 2nd.

The OP has a running tally of all winners.

Last edited:

wildcat4

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Illinois
Chris,
I just noticed that on Layer 2 of my card Arizona is listed twice on the left hand side. Just want to make sure that is correct and I am supposed to use them twice.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the questions.

You are exactly right on how to score layer 1. Each space features 4 initials of a hitter or pitcher. If any one of those players gets 3+ hits or 8+ strikeouts in a single game, you can cross that space off.

For layer 2, you are adding up the pitching Game Score for each team in your space. Game Score is a formula created to evaluate a starting pitcher's dominance/efficiency during an outing.

Here is the link to the daily Game Score page, sorted from highest to lowest:

MLB Baseball Daily Pitching Leaders - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Simply find your 4 team's starting pitchers and add up their score. If the total meets or beats 300, you can cross the space off.

Hope this helps.

So this may be a dumb question, for layer 2, I can cross off one of the squares one day and another on a different day
Or both squares have to add up to 300+ on the same day to be crossed off?

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
This HAS to be okay on separate days. I can't believe you would ever see 2 sets of 4 pitchers combine for 300+ score all on the same day. By the looks of the past week results, even if you had the TOP 4 pitchers, you wouldn't have broken 300, except for one day all week!

So this may be a dumb question, for layer 2, I can cross off one of the squares one day and another on a different day
Or both squares have to add up to 300+ on the same day to be crossed off?

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I have a layer 3 question -

I have LA Angels 3 Earned Runs - I read this as the Angels pitching has to give up EXACTLY 3 EARNED runs in a complete game to cross off.

I have San Francisco 3 pitchers used - I read this as the Giants have to use EXACTLY 3 pitchers in a a complete game to cross off.

I have Cleveland 3+ Stolen Bases - me maybe confused on this one - does this mean that Cleveland's OPPONENT has to steal at least 3 bases on them in one complete game in order for me to cross this off? It must be since it's pitching, but I just want to be sure it's not that the Indians batters actually have to steal 3 bases off of opponent pitching. Also, does it have to be stolen bases, or does advancement on a wild pitch count too? Probably not, but just thought I'd ask!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Dang, one of my favorite guys, Marlon Byrd, got me a Layer 1 win IF I realized it in time...:(

And yeah, that number of 300 is gonna be tough to get. GL all!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Re: Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Layer 1 is Complete

Just got my card printed. I understand that to get a bingo on level 3, I have to complete levels 1 and 2, but can I start crossing off anything that happens on my card now?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Layer 1 is Complete

Just got my card printed. I understand that to get a bingo on level 3, I have to complete levels 1 and 2, but can I start crossing off anything that happens on my card now?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I don't think you have to complete the other levels before you bingo another layer, I think once the layer has its bingo drawn everyone can start on the next layer. I may be way off here. And I have no idea waning crossing off other parts of layers now.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Super Spectacular Boxscore Bingo: Layer 1 is Complete

I don't think you have to complete the other levels before you bingo another layer, I think once the layer has its bingo drawn everyone can start on the next layer. I may be way off here. And I have no idea waning crossing off other parts of layers now.

I believe this is correct.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Please see my responses to questions asked in posts 32-37:

#32 : Yes, that's fine if you have one team listed twice in layer 2. That just means you count their game score twice.

#33 : Absolutely. Only layers 1 and 9 need to be completed in a single day. For layers 2-8, you just chip away at each square until you have completed the layer.

#35 : Correct on all assumptions, Bill (except for advancing on a wild pitch). For the pitching layers, we're talking about what they surrender to the opposition (other than strikeouts, of course). The boxscores found on mlb.com are quite comprehensive, so stolen bases will be shown as such at the very bottom.

#37 : No. Layer 1 is off the table now, so everyone starts working on layer 2 at the same time. Each time a layer is completed by a contestant, everyone starts with a clean slate the next day. On that note, you may not work ahead and cross off squares on any layer other than the current one.

Regarding layer 2, I actually did a bit of research when settling on the 300+ combined game score benchmark. While by no means easy, it is certainly attainable, especially if you have a team in the 90+ range. In this case, simple averaging would lower the requirement for one team to 60 (a mediocre effort) while only requiring a good, but totally realistic 75 average for the other two teams.

Having said that, if we get to the All-Star break without anyone completing layer 2, I may lower the requirement to 275.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game. I personally like the clean slate approach with each advancing layer...keeps things interesting!

Last note: I am working on probabilities of each contestant winning the grand prize. Just a fun snapshot to see who has the best chance of winning...at least on paper.

Signing off for now...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts