Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Target and Wal-Mart no longer selling retail sports cards as of today, 5/14. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I saw this posted the other day in a youtube video and I think it's sad. I remember when you could go to Target or Wal-Mart etc and regularly not have a problem finding sports cards but it seems that the flippers and some other stupid people have ruined it for others. An attempted 4 on 1 assault recently in Wisconsin was, I think, the nail in the coffin.

On the flip side, I was probably spending too much on cards at places like Target and Wal-Mart so it could be a blessing in disguise.

Just curious to see the thoughts of other people here about this overall.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Sad that it is going to further hurt the hobby growing for younger collectors and future collectors.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I think it is a good thing. Will open up other avenues, hope the smaller guys in shops and hobby stores will benefit.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
winder how bad shops will be with pricing now . I've bought very little from LCS ---too high --- supplies are killing me
You know that shops are definitely going to raise prices a bit now that retail is basically eliminated. I wonder if the smaller places like Big Lots, CVS and Walgreens will also stop selling cards.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Target and Wal-Mart no longer selling retail sports cards as of today, 5/14.
I saw this posted the other day in a youtube video and I think it's sad.
Don't get your news from Youtube. Walmart confirmed it's still selling sports cards. It's only Target.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
Don't get your news from Youtube. Walmart confirmed it's still selling sports cards. It's only Target.
It wasn't just one video, there were several youtube videos stating the same thing. They were stating that both Target and Wal-Mart were going to stop selling cards but I guess not. I took a drive to my local Wal-Mart a little while ago to check and was told there was a restock that I just missed with some Bowman baseball etc so that's good.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
It all makes me glad that I collect vintage cards. I go to Target once in a great while. I hated seeing grown men sitting on the floor in front of the sports card section with a small scale weighing packs. I did make nasty comments to one and he started yelling at me in the store.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sad that it is going to further hurt the hobby growing for younger collectors and future collectors.
Is that the inability to buy retail or the resellers who have ruined it by being greedy and buying it all up to make a quick profit. It is just stupid that something like that can be flipped so soon after initial purchase and for so much more than the retail prices. Maybe retailers just need to up prices to reflect what people are willing to pay OR is it the fact that average Joe can't get any themselves, so they pay what they have to pay to get their fix (literally).

For me it's simpler than that. If I were buying retail packs and suddenly I had to fight like this for them or pay a super premium, then I would be done at that point. Life is too short for all this stupid **** around cards lately. Collecting has been a mostly fun hobby of mine for over 40 years now. When the fun is gone, then so am I.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
My LCS told me that Topps is planning on a massive price increase for retail products, something along the lines of 60%, and I'd assume Panini will do something similar. And why not? I'd personally prefer to pay $30 a blaster as the base price, versus some loser hoarding them and trying to get $30 a pop for a Opening Day fat pack. I see zero negatives to getting those people away from the hobby.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
If the market is willing to pay that much for a box, it's only natural for them to increase the price. I don't open wax so it won't affect my collecting habits. I only hope that they improve the quality of their base cards. Better design, card stock and photos.

As an aside, with the added interest in the hobby, I hope we see more oddball sets included in things like Oreos, cereal, gas stations, etc. Tim Hortons has a popular hockey set each year. It would be nice if these types cards made a comeback.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
If the market is willing to pay that much for a box, it's only natural for them to increase the price. I don't open wax so it won't affect my collecting habits. I only hope that they improve the quality of their base cards. Better design, card stock and photos.

As an aside, with the added interest in the hobby, I hope we see more oddball sets included in things like Oreos, cereal, gas stations, etc. Tim Hortons has a popular hockey set each year. It would be nice if these types cards made a comeback.
Normally I would be happy for more food issued sets. The last thing I want though is to pay marked up prices for Oreos after the scalpers get them all. Is Topps still doing Utz cards this year? That's the only recent food issued brand that I know of.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

Yeah, then we'll have these ******** stabbing people in supermarkets so no one else can get their HOTTTTTTTT INVEST PSA10 HOF????? Pringles All Stars cards.

Members online

Latest posts