Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thanks, Topps - horrible collation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Just got around to sorting the 6 boxes of 2013 Topps Mini I bought at the National. While I pulled a decent amount of parallels and inserts, I'm very disappointed at the collation. I'm still over 30 cards short of a set!!!

24 packs x 10 cards a pack x 6 boxes is 1440 cards. Factor out the inserts and parallels, and you have about 1350 cards. There's only 660 cards in the set!! I shouldn't be over 30 cards away from a complete set!!! Quality control hasn't been Topps' strong suit in a long time, but this is ridiculous. Has anyone else has this same problem?

Greg

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Yep, I had the same problem. I only busted two boxes, but I had some packs that were almost identical to packs from the previous box. I'm not even going to try to put a set together.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Yep, I had the same problem. I only busted two boxes, but I had some packs that were almost identical to packs from the previous box. I'm not even going to try to put a set together.

I don't even know why I bother at this point. I went back and sorted the duplicates and found I have 12 of Jason Vargas. TWELVE!! I should not have 12 of 1 guy and ZERO of 30-some others.

Greg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've never purchased six boxes of anything that didn't have sp's as part of the base set so my question would be if you purchased 6 boxes of any topps product, could you put a set together? I'm guessing 3 of series one and 3 of series two. Because 660 cards is series one and two combined. I'd have to imagine a lot of sets are hard to complete without going online to finish them up. Of course I had a friend who busted a case of base topps football 2010( yes I know it's a shorter set than baseball) and he made two cards short of two full sets.

Retail has kicked my but this year because some sets are very good with collation and others are horrible. Like some of the panini stuff was so bad I could buy three blasters and I'd have a bigger stack of doubles than the stack for my set. And others were so good I'd have maybe 10 dupes out of 3 blasters. Very weird. I just don't buy a lot of topps base because I'd rather buy the set. With minis I have no experience.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
There were no SP in the mini set and it was released as one series in pack form only.

I realize the manufacturers want you to purchase more product in order to complete the set, but I should be able to form 1 set out of 6 boxes....

Greg

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Just got around to sorting the 6 boxes of 2013 Topps Mini I bought at the National. While I pulled a decent amount of parallels and inserts, I'm very disappointed at the collation. I'm still over 30 cards short of a set!!!

24 packs x 10 cards a pack x 6 boxes is 1440 cards. Factor out the inserts and parallels, and you have about 1350 cards. There's only 660 cards in the set!! I shouldn't be over 30 cards away from a complete set!!! Quality control hasn't been Topps' strong suit in a long time, but this is ridiculous. Has anyone else has this same problem?

Greg

Did you buy them all from the same retailer? I could see where buying different boxes out of different cases could lead to this problem, though it still shouldn't have been THAT bad...

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Topps seems to be the worst on this. Even in regular Topps I have ended up with tons of doubles and not finished the set. I think I ripped 5 boxes of Heritage this year and still needed a few base cards not to mention the SP's.

rawonion

Feb 7, 2010
Lawrenceville, GA
Topps is not to blame for some of this. The odds of getting 0 of any one of the 660 cards is about 11%, assuming random distribution. On the other hand, the odds of getting 12 or more of the same card is about 1 in 313, 000.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RobbyT

Aug 26, 2013
Last year I bought 5 boxes and was about 70 cards short of a set. This year I bought 4 boxes and I'm 191 cards short of the set. Coincidentally, this is the last Topps product I'll ever buy.

That being said, I see several of you are in the same boat I'm in WRT completing your sets. If any one is interested in trading I've got somewhere in the neighborhood 500 doubles.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
since several of you have so many doubles, I can use these two to finish up my Dodgers set:

228 Gonzalez
295 League

I have two boxes worth of trade material. They at my grandmother's house, so it may take a few days to get to them. If you have specific needs, shoot me a PM and I'll have a look.

Members online

Latest posts