Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Maybe when I retire! The 8100 '98 Teks are in 15 three-inch binders, 6 sets of players per binder, 10 pages per player. The 2700 '98 Tek diffractors are in another 5 three-inch binders. I've got 14 binders of Pedro Martinez cards, 1991 to 2004, with a ton more of cards to file away. I'll do my best to have the Pedro cards ready for display when Pedro goes to Cooperstown in a few years. Haven't made that trip since Ozzie was inducted.

Wow, you should show off all your collection here.Is Martinez all you would trade for?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Maybe when I retire! The 8100 '98 Teks are in 15 three-inch binders, 6 sets of players per binder, 10 pages per player. The 2700 '98 Tek diffractors are in another 5 three-inch binders. I've got 14 binders of Pedro Martinez cards, 1991 to 2004, with a ton more of cards to file away. I'll do my best to have the Pedro cards ready for display when Pedro goes to Cooperstown in a few years. Haven't made that trip since Ozzie was inducted.

Wow!Safe you say you you've sunk a couple thousand in your collection?How many extra Lankford, McGwire, and Jordan do you have?

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
A common question people have is how many diffractors of each pattern were produced. Most seem to think it is 5 or 10. Do you have an opinion on this and what is the most copies you have seen of 1 diffractor pattern? Being that you have been building this set for a while, your opinion should hold a lot of weight on the topic.

Have about 1000 to 1200 duplicate 1998 Tek commons (all players) and about 250 extra duplicate 1998 Tek diffractors. Send me a want list of the Tek commons that you need. I'll take other Tek commons or Tek diffractors in trade. I'll sell some commons if you really have nothing to trade. Not looking to hold anyone up. I am NOT looking to sell any 1998 Tek diffractors. I will buy 1998 Tek diffractors or trade for other 1998 Tek diffractors. Let me know what you have and what you want.

I finished the set of 8100 '98 Tek commons 6 or 7 years ago. Lot of folks helped me finish the set; I'm glad to reciprocate. I have been collecting the set of '98 Tek diffractors. I fully understand it's impossible to finish, but I'm pecking away at it. I've got about 1/3 of that set (2700 '98 Tek diffractors). My main collecting interest has been Pedro Martinez cards up through 2004 when he left Boston. I can use some of his '98 Tek diffractors, 2000 Tek gold cards, and 1/1 cards. That's about it for Pedro. I started collecting the old Red Sox players in the '98 Tek series, and spread out from there. That's still my primary interest with the 1998 Tek diffractors. I have 35 to 50+ '98 Tek diffractors of Bichette, Nomar, Clemens, Pedro, Schilling, Burks, Manny, and Mo Vaughn. Still missing a bunch. If you have any of them to sell or trade, let me know!

Don't recognize a lot of the names on this board. Guys like Anthony, Carl, and Joe (elberson, togaman, onionring) are old trading partners from years gone by.

Rich

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
A common question people have is how many diffractors of each pattern were produced. Most seem to think it is 5 or 10. Do you have an opinion on this and what is the most copies you have seen of 1 diffractor pattern? Being that you have been building this set for a while, your opinion should hold a lot of weight on the topic.

I hold sub-zero weight but I've now seen two double patterns for Albert Belle. I still hold true 5 or less of every pattern for diffractors.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Elberson & Padresfan- Your cards will go out tomorrow. really sorry for the delay.

Sinfulone- Like the Brady Quantum leaf, any way we could work something out for that?

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
If I only traded for Pedro cards, I'd never get any trades done. Not much I don't have. I'm really looking to trade for '98 Tek diffractors that I don't have. I will also trade some of my extra '98 Tek commons for other '98 Tek commons just to get a trade done. What I'm not looking to do is sell a bunch of cards at bargain-basement prices.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.

I saw Mac's post that he thought there were no more that 5 diffractors per player/pattern. For years people have picked 10 per player/pattern -- the same number as for the 2000 Tek gold cards . I really think both numbers are too low. I have FOUR of several different '98 Tek diffractor player/patterns: 21 Clemens p. 77; 41 P. Martinez p. 1; 68 Caminiti p. 74. I have THREE of eighteen other player/patterns. I have not been trying to accumulate duplicates. It seems unlikely to me that I somehow have 30% to 40% of the print run on these player/patterns (if there were 10 per player/pattern) or 60% to 80% of the print run on these player/patterns (if there were 5 per player/pattern). My guess is there are about 20 diffractors per player/pattern out there.

Topps advertises one diffractor to every six packs. There are usually four cards per pack (I've seen as many as six and as few as three). That's a ratio of 23 to 1. If there were 20 diffractors per player/pattern, that's 8100 x 20 or 162,000 diffractors out there. That would represent a total Topps '98 Tek print run of close to 4 million cards. I don't know if that's realistic. The companies tend not to publish large print run figures as that might seem to diminish the worth of individual cards, but maybe someone in the business could comment.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I saw Mac's post that he thought there were no more that 5 diffractors per player/pattern. For years people have picked 10 per player/pattern -- the same number as for the 2000 Tek gold cards . I really think both numbers are too low. I have FOUR of several different '98 Tek diffractor player/patterns: 21 Clemens p. 77; 41 P. Martinez p. 1; 68 Caminiti p. 74. I have THREE of eighteen other player/patterns. I have not been trying to accumulate duplicates. It seems unlikely to me that I somehow have 30% to 40% of the print run on these player/patterns (if there were 10 per player/pattern) or 60% to 80% of the print run on these player/patterns (if there were 5 per player/pattern). My guess is there are about 20 diffractors per player/pattern out there.

Topps advertises one diffractor to every six packs. There are usually four cards per pack (I've seen as many as six and as few as three). That's a ratio of 23 to 1. If there were 20 diffractors per player/pattern, that's 8100 x 20 or 162,000 diffractors out there. That would represent a total Topps '98 Tek print run of close to 4 million cards. I don't know if that's realistic. The companies tend not to publish large print run figures as that might seem to diminish the worth of individual cards, but maybe someone in the business could comment.

You bring up two really GREAT points. First, you'd think there were more than 5 or 10 copies if you have 4 copies of some yourself LOL... I agree. But I'm glad you did the calc for total cards given how many you think there are with the odds, etc. Those figures then show it is probably closer to 5 or 10 copies each but again, this just seems like a circle going around and around. I'll stick with 5 copies of each, even though this means you've got 80% of some copies LOL.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I originally was certain the print run was 10 for each card, but a couple things have made me question that. First, whomever earlier in this thread said they got two Diffractors in one pack. Sure, it could be a freak accident, but still weird. Second, when I opened that box in the group break, the wrapper indicated you could send in for a chance at a Diffractor, and that you had a 1:6 chance or whatever at getting one free. Weird.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Trade to report - figured I'd just throw it in here. rinkrat is a quality trader - he sent first and cards arrived Saturday packaged well and in good condition.

rinkrat gets the following Diffractors:
Nomar 19
Molitor 6
TClark 39
Hinch 62
Juan Gone 25
Jeter 45 and 54
and four Konerkos

RustyGreerFan gets:
3 Buhner Diffractors
4 Buhner base
Juan Gone Diffractor 73
and three Jeter Diffractors

rinkrat - your cards are going out today or tomorrow. Good luck on your incredible quest!

Members online