Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
One day I would like to finish offmy second 90 card 1998 Topps TEK DIFFRACTOR set 1998 Topps TEK Diffractor want list (Set #2) 16 out of 90 to complete set 9,13,14,15,16,30,45,51,57,61,66,67,74,78,80,85........................................... Havent made but one card dent in it for the past year

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
One day I would like to finish offmy second 90 card 1998 Topps TEK DIFFRACTOR set1998 Topps TEK Diffractor want list (Set #2) 16 out of 90 to complete set 9,13,14,15,16,30,45,51,57,61,66,67,74,78,80,85........................................... Havent made but one card dent in it for the past year

Toga - You just need any diffractor pattern from those numbers or are you looking for a specific pattern? What pattern do you have for Belle in set #1 and then set #2?

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Regarding the missing 16 cards any pattern is fine other than the one I have already. So there is 89/90% chance I will not have the pattern already The Albert Belles are patterns I have in my Diffractor sets are 12 and 56 but sorry not looking to trade or sell them. Once they go in my sets not taking them out.

I havent really made a real effort to get anymore as some guy lists them at prices 5X+ or more on Beckett creating an artificial expectation for Diffractor values on ebay so Im not going to play or get caught up in that game. While I would like to eventually finish a second set I would still be almost 7700 cards short of all 8100 (I have around 375-400 Diffractors) and that wont happen for sure

Last edited:

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Curious how legitimate that is. Since ebay now took away the transparency to see how many bidders bid on a particular auction its real easy for sellers to manipulate perceived values by using shill bidders to bid prices up. Watch this Jeter card get listed again in next few days.

I remember in the good ole days on ebay when you could go in through the back door and contact other bidders bidding on cards from sets I was working on and trade off our dupes to help each other out. My 1998 TEK master set would never have been completed if that ebay back door option of contacting other set builders was not available. Maybe that would have been a good thing..lol

Whoa... now Jeter's going for $100? That's an $80 flip for the seller...

Derek Jeter 1998 Topps Tek Diffractor Card 14 79 Diffractors Yankees Refractor | eBay

I'm tempted to sell mine now... buy me some toys! :mrgreen:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Curious how legitimate that is. Since ebay now took away the transparency to see how many bidders bid on a particular auction its real easy for sellers to manipulate perceived values by using shill bidders to bid prices up. Watch this Jeter card get listed again in next few days.

I remember in the good ole days on ebay when you could go in through the back door and contact other bidders bidding on cards from sets I was working on and trade off our dupes to help each other out. My 1998 TEK master set would never have been completed if that ebay back door option of contacting other set builders was not available. Maybe that would have been a good thing..lol

through eBay.ca you can see the best offer sold for price.......closing price shows $100

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.

Carl is right about this. I remember back in 2003/2004 complaining to eBay about a seller "idahoesc" -- this guy is still around -- who had two other user names he used to pump up bids on his high-end (anything over about $20.00) cards. I proved this to eBay with examples of auctions where the shill bid was a bit too high and won the auction. Mutual feedback was exchanged among these various user names too. The seller would just re-sell that same card a couple of weeks or months later. I also contacted a dozen or so of the buyers I knew who were taken in by the shill bids, and at least several of them also complained to eBay. I also complained to the Better Business Bureau and the police in his home town -- Idaho Falls as I recall. eBay never did anything about idahoesc that I know of, and he was still pulling the same scam for many months thereafter.

Maybe there was a real deep pockets Jeter collector that "had to have" that Jeter diffractor, I could have used it myself, but I think it's about as likely that the seller has bought the card himself through a shill user name, bidding just a bit too high for the market, and the card will be re-sold later this year. You used to be able to check that stuff out. Now you can only see the sold for price, not the real user id of the buyer or of the other bidders. eBay has managed to completely protect these fraudulent sellers.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Carl is right about this. I remember back in 2003/2004 complaining to eBay about a seller "idahoesc" -- this guy is still around -- who had two other user names he used to pump up bids on his high-end (anything over about $20.00) cards. I proved this to eBay with examples of auctions where the shill bid was a bit too high and won the auction. Mutual feedback was exchanged among these various user names too. The seller would just re-sell that same card a couple of weeks or months later. I also contacted a dozen or so of the buyers I knew who were taken in by the shill bids, and at least several of them also complained to eBay. I also complained to the Better Business Bureau and the police in his home town -- Idaho Falls as I recall. eBay never did anything about idahoesc that I know of, and he was still pulling the same scam for many months thereafter.

Maybe there was a real deep pockets Jeter collector that "had to have" that Jeter diffractor, I could have used it myself, but I think it's about as likely that the seller has bought the card himself through a shill user name, bidding just a bit too high for the market, and the card will be re-sold later this year. You used to be able to check that stuff out. Now you can only see the sold for price, not the real user id of the buyer or of the other bidders. eBay has managed to completely protect these fraudulent sellers.

Not disputing what you are saying but why would a 'shiller' hit a BIN on his own auction?

3rd one down under the search "1998 tek jeter" sold listings shows that it was sold as a BIN.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think they think a shiller would hit his own BIN to jack up the completed listing prices... for something like diffractors which are SP, non serial numbers and from the '90s, you can see how this could be done and how it could really help a shiller make more money... it's sad if it truely is what is happening but who knows.

At the end of the day I know what I'll pay for a Belle card and if a shiller gets inbetween that, then I hope they get what's coming to them down the road.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Anyone have any 1998 Tek diffractors to trade? I have about 300 extra Tek diffractors of 75 of the 90 players in the set. Anywhere from one to a dozen extras of each player. Odds are about 2 out of 3 that I'll need one that you have. At last count, I'm at 2774 of the 8100 diffractors. A truly impossible quest, but it keeps me out of trouble. I'm just offering to trade right now, NOT sell. If you have some Tek diffractors to trade, PM me and let me know what you have and what you are looking for.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
I too am looking to trade for some 1998 Topps Tek diffractors using Becketts monthly pricing guide as high Book Value not ebay
final sales from shill bidders and overzealous individual player collectors (many of them - the zealous ones- on this site)

Ive been collecting off and on for 40+ years so if you have some 98 Topps TEK diffractors and a specific want list perhaps we can trade . I also have alot of dupes in 2012 Bowman, 2012 Topps Chrome, 2012 Bowman Platinum and Topps 2013 if you are finishing off newest sets or parallel sets. Plus over 1400 1998 TEK cards to trade as well (for 98 TEk condition upgrades, pattern # 1, Same card#/pattern # 98 TEK and 98 TEK Diffractors I dont have (7700 to go! (lol)).

Not buying just trading.
Richard I wish I had dupes of the 100+ diffractors I have that were on a Want list you sent me. Maybe one day I will part with them but I at least need to finish my 2nd 90 card diffractor set (lol) stuck on 16 cards to go before I even think about doing that.

Last edited:

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Ive decided to go for a second Bonds 1998 TEK set but only under the condition that I can buy them for a buck each. Contact me via email or PM if you have some to part with for a buck each. Yes I know Im overpaying for them at a buck each but maybe one day all his steroid enhanced HR records will be recognized as valid.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Ive decided to go for a second Bonds 1998 TEK set but only under the condition that I can buy them for a buck each. Contact me via email or PM if you have some to part with for a buck each. Yes I know Im overpaying for them at a buck each but maybe one day all his steroid enhanced HR records will be recognized as valid.

:lol:

elberson

Sep 13, 2012
Charlotte NC
Carl, I'm not finding your humor funny.......so stop. I'm looking for help and your not helping with your negative big headed steroid cheater comments......unless you personally put the needle in his butt? Knock it off.

Last edited:

Members online