Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Thanks. Yeah, we might be on here for a while trying to finish our sets. Kind of strange, in the last 3 months there have been more Thome deffractors on ebay than regular Thome Tek cards. At least this latest Thome diffractor is reasonably priced.:D

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
2 things

1) an unopened box went for $280 BIN a few days ago, will whomever bought it please come forward & surrender all your dupes :)

2) RJ Diffractor pattern #39 hit eBay and has a few days left on it. I only have 2 diffractors, so obviously I need #39 . But on base cards, I am just 6 patterns away from completion. Pattern 39 is one of my needs. So player collectors, if I score the diffractor & not the base, could I consider my set 'complete' once I pick up the remaining 5 even if one is a diffractor and not a base?

That would almost make a good thread topic. If you are chasing a set, can it be called 'complete' if some cards/patterns are from a more scarce/lower#d parallel?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
2 things

1) an unopened box went for $280 BIN a few days ago, will whomever bought it please come forward & surrender all your dupes :)

2) RJ Diffractor pattern #39 hit eBay and has a few days left on it. I only have 2 diffractors, so obviously I need #39 . But on base cards, I am just 6 patterns away from completion. Pattern 39 is one of my needs. So player collectors, if I score the diffractor & not the base, could I consider my set 'complete' once I pick up the remaining 5 even if one is a diffractor and not a base?

That would almost make a good thread topic. If you are chasing a set, can it be called 'complete' if some cards/patterns are from a more scarce/lower#d parallel?
Just my opinion but no, you can't consider it complete. If you want too, sure but for me, it's not complete until they're all home in the PC ;)

Anyways, good luck with the auction! I know how it is to see one up for 7 days and just can't wait for it to get to finish line.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I wouldn't consider it complete, even though I consider my late 80's early 90's Topps sets complete although I don't have all the error/variation cards. But that's a little different.

Griffey Jr. Diffractor up to $108.50! How high do you all think it will go?

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
I wouldn't have done it either.

Not a huge fan of how it looks---I get that it's trying to fit the autograph to the card, but it still seems kinda small and squashed where it is.

These cards are acetate, right? So one could conceivably wipe the auto off, though that would be wiping away the auto and PSA/DNA premium the seller is clearly looking for.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Saw the Griffey with 1 day left and already bid up to like $115... that's crazy!

I also saw there are a bunch of Piazza's listed incorrectly and all diffractors... maybe a player collector who doesn't know what he has?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here is a question for any of the set collectors of 1998.......

There is a price on everything, how much $ would it take to let go of one of your PC base patterns go (or a few for that matter) to a player collector? Use me for example... I'm looking for 4 patterns to complete the Belle base set... if I paid $20/each for those to complete my set, it'd basically just be trading places... you'd get the cash and just have to wait for the base cards to show up while profiting huge on the cards.

(Not saying I'd do that but just saying as an example... you can use any $ amount, $5/base, $50/base, etc.)

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Here is a question for any of the set collectors of 1998.......

There is a price on everything, how much $ would it take to let go of one of your PC base patterns go (or a few for that matter) to a player collector? Use me for example... I'm looking for 4 patterns to complete the Belle base set... if I paid $20/each for those to complete my set, it'd basically just be trading places... you'd get the cash and just have to wait for the base cards to show up while profiting huge on the cards.

(Not saying I'd do that but just saying as an example... you can use any $ amount, $5/base, $50/base, etc.)

I am at about 48 for the set. no freaking way I would sell any.

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Saw the Griffey with 1 day left and already bid up to like $115... that's crazy!/QUOTE]

Glad I don't need that one.

BTW, Burbank Sportscards has listed a couple of hundred base '98 Teks on eBay starting at 99 cents each. Lot of players that people here are looking for. A few stars, mostly commons. Not in any order though. Have fun looking! (Couple of hundred '99 Teks as well.) Guess this is a ditto!

Members online

Latest posts