Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Baseball Card Movie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Pretty cool little movie. I thought it was going to be about some crooks at first, but it was pretty well done and interesting. Nice job to the director.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
I thought it was cool. Reminded me of the shop back at home. I miss shop days. I don't really care about higher prices. You get your stuff right then and there and have people to chat with and interact with. I guess thats why I like doing breaks especially on ustream now. Everyone watches you open and chat about it etc. It makes it fun.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I understand they always charge more for wax in a store but you have to think...if a box costs a owner $100 and he sells it for $150 or even $125 then he is not making a good deal of money.I understand a lot of shop owners try to gouge a little bit on wax but its also good to keep in mind that if you are only making $25 or $50 on a box then you have to sell a lot of boxes to recoup costs and pay for your store.I would imagine rent for a store space is pretty high.I can totally understand why they charge so much for wax.

And most business try to double, triple, or quadruple their money so I feel that a store owner trying to make some cash isn't as bad as some of these businesses are.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Pinbreaker said:
My wife says it's like a bar.. I stop by and BS with the other regulars, but I don't waste my money on booze.. That I actually have something to show for it (as little as it is). She has me grab a box of Chrome to rip when it comes out as she like the shiny cards.. especially the nice GOLD ones.. :D

Great analogy.

No one goes into a bar and tells the bartender they can buy a whole bottle of Jack Daniels for what they are charging for a round of drinks, but whenever I do a show, I get dozens of people that have no problem telling me what prices they pay on ebay for singles and boxes.

The problem is that most shops (and shows) don't do enough to create an atmosphere worthy of spending a little extra money. If they did, I don't think there would be as many complaints about the extra costs. Gaming stores don't seem to have this problem, and people can just as easily buy their singles and boxes on ebay for less than they can at the gaming store.

David

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
good video you keep saying his prices are high heres the reason Im 99% sure his store his located in the city so rent is ridiculous

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
From what I remember from my local card shop that closed about 8 years ago, they made a lot if not most of their money in singles and gaming cards. Their box prices were pretty decent, probably 10-15% higher than ebay. Unless you have someone in your area who really doesn't care about losing money, its going to be very unlikely any new card shops appear imo.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
cgilmo said:
the hobby is losing its social aspect

it used to be a people business ya know

I long for the return of the card shop.

what about this website? its kinda social. demented and sad, but social.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
jeremy said:
cgilmo said:
the hobby is losing its social aspect

it used to be a people business ya know

I long for the return of the card shop.

what about this website? its kinda social. demented and sad, but social.

yes, but it's still no substitute for the card shop

I have to agree with that.Its also why I don't ever make any quick trips to the shop.If I am there I usually go and sit down for a few hours and talk and buy things.There are no quick trips.