Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "Cameo" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I just scored this cameo for my Bagwell collection. Spanish!

1994%20Topps%20132%20Bret%20Barberie.jpg

Topps%20132%20Bret%20Barberie%20Spanish.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Found a few in 2011 Topps Update. A few good ones, but most are fairly unexciting:

4 Brian McCann AS - Jose Bautista cameo
9 Jose Iglesias - Rajai Davis cameo
88 Orlando Cabrera - Willie Bloomquist cameo
149 Alex Infante - Dexter Fowler cameo (but who collects him?)
177 Rene Tosoni - Alexi Casilla cameo, and an awesome Bud sign
205 DJ LeMahieu - AJ Pierzynski cameo
207 Jay Bruce AS - Hunter Pence and Andrew McCutchen cameos
211 Dustin Moseley - Stephen Drew cameo
247 Zack Cozart - Rickie Weeks cameo (in Brewers throwback)
255 Allen Craig - Ryan Theriot cameo
260 Matt Holliday AS - Yadier Molina and Lance Berkman cameos
273 Miguel Montero AS - Brian Wilson cameo
317 Craig Counsell - Drew Butera cameo
320 Russell Martin - Brandon Inge cameo (I think)

Has anyone found their player mentioned in the backs of 2011 Series 1 or 2, when they list who had that card number in some previous year? That's an extreme cameo, but seems like it works for some collectors!

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Do you guys have rules for which you consider a keeper? Besides specific player collectors seeing their guys on other players' cards, I only tend to worry about finding a 'notable' player like an All-Star or better on common players' cards.

I don't consider two scrubs on one card as a 'true' cameo card and at the other end, I don't really consider two star players on one card as a 'true' cameo card.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Lars said:
Do you guys have rules for which you consider a keeper? Besides specific player collectors seeing their guys on other players' cards, I only tend to worry about finding a 'notable' player like an All-Star or better on common players' cards.

I don't consider two scrubs on one card as a 'true' cameo card and at the other end, I don't really consider two star players on one card as a 'true' cameo card.

My personal definition of a cameo is any player that appears on another players card. There are so many that for the most part I only choose to catalog players that are widely collected. The gray area for me is Team Leader cards or other types of cards that do not specifically identify the card as an individual player card, yet depict multiple players. I tend to view these as multi-player cards rather than cameos.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
Lars said:

My personal definition of a cameo is any player that appears on another players card. There are so many that for the most part I only choose to catalog players that are widely collected. The gray area for me is Team Leader cards or other types of cards that do not specifically identify the card as an individual player card, yet depict multiple players. I tend to view these as multi-player cards rather than cameos.

When we originally created our McGwire list, we used this exact same philosophy. If the card has no names on it and is generic to a group or team, it is partially his card. So for example, these borderline cards we consider to be part of the McGwire card list and not cameo list based on the criteria we set:

Just remember, in the end it's your collection, your rules, all of our rules are just a suggestion.

f-5368.jpg

f-6241.jpg

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tp did you get my post about the superstar summit series I and II from the thread before it crashed? That entire set is cameos of each other:

f-1814.jpg

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Topps%20653.jpg

I consider cards like these to be just part of my Bagwell regular PC, and not a cameo. I'm like some of the other guys here, where a true cameo is when your player appears on someone elses card.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
onionring9 said:
tp did you get my post about the superstar summit series I and II from the thread before it crashed? That entire set is cameos of each other:

f-1814.jpg

Yep, both series and then I found another series that was similar to that, the 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine, regular chrome and refractor variations. Only the truly scorched collector (I know a few) will get all of these.

3b803ee2-fee7-423e-9cdc-a2e6fac046a4.jpg
[/url]

Here are the Griffeys. Looks like you sidestepped this one with McGwire.

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C1 (cameo with Edgar Martinez)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C2 (cameo with Mike Piazza)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C3 (cameo with Frank Thomas)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C4 (cameo with Craig Biggio)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C5 (cameo with Vinny Castilla)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C6 (cameo with Jeff Blauser)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C7 (cameo with Barry Bonds)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C1 (cameo with Edgar Martinez)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C2 (cameo with Mike Piazza)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C3 (cameo with Frank Thomas)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C4 (cameo with Craig Biggio)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C5 (cameo with Vinny Castilla)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C6 (cameo with Jeff Blauser)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C7 (cameo with Barry Bonds)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C1 (cameo with Edgar Martinez)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C2 (cameo with Mike Piazza)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C3 (cameo with Frank Thomas)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C4 (cameo with Craig Biggio)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C5 (cameo with Vinny Castilla)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C6 (cameo with Jeff Blauser)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C7 (cameo with Barry Bonds)

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
Here are the Griffeys. Looks like you sidestepped this one with McGwire.

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C1 (cameo with Edgar Martinez)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C2 (cameo with Mike Piazza)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C3 (cameo with Frank Thomas)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C4 (cameo with Craig Biggio)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C5 (cameo with Vinny Castilla)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C6 (cameo with Jeff Blauser)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Clout Nine #C7 (cameo with Barry Bonds)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C1 (cameo with Edgar Martinez)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C2 (cameo with Mike Piazza)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C3 (cameo with Frank Thomas)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C4 (cameo with Craig Biggio)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C5 (cameo with Vinny Castilla)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C6 (cameo with Jeff Blauser)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine #C7 (cameo with Barry Bonds)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C1 (cameo with Edgar Martinez)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C2 (cameo with Mike Piazza)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C3 (cameo with Frank Thomas)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C4 (cameo with Craig Biggio)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C5 (cameo with Vinny Castilla)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C6 (cameo with Jeff Blauser)
GRIFFEY JR,KEN 1998 Topps Chrome Clout Nine Refractors #C7 (cameo with Barry Bonds)

Thank the dear lord!

Now the question is, what unfortunate player collector has a cameo in 1998 topps tek? :)

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
onionring9 said:
Now the question is, what unfortunate player collector has a cameo in 1998 topps tek? :)

Most of the other players are so blurry, you cant tell who they are to claim Cameo status. And thats probably a good thing!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ASTROBURN said:
onionring9 said:

Most of the other players are so blurry, you cant tell who they are to claim Cameo status. And thats probably a good thing!

Imagine tacking on 90 more patterns and 90 more diffractors to collect.

The more I think about it though, I think it'd be fun.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
tpeichel said:
Too bad this is a nobody, that is a cool cameo.

70c835df-e2e6-4d7e-805b-85774953e3f6.jpg

That's kind of funny, Clayton turned around and had a similar cameo on another card.

c67e8e3f-7da8-4da1-96fc-cc8980e1c569.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts