Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

========== The Morning Thread =========

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
Good morning Dave(w) - I need to see Toy Story 2, so that I can see Toy Story 3. :lol:

Checked out the pool last night when I got home. Amazing difference from just 1 day, but the "scorch" didn't get all the algae,
so I may have to get in there with a scrub brush or something. Did the first test strip, and the only thing off is that the pH was a little high.

What all porducts/chemicals do you have to keep the water in balance?

Good morning Dave(p)
Morning Charlie! Yes you do need to see 2 before 3. It's a great movie.

Ok, I keep a bunch of chemicals on hand.

- Shock N Swim (essential)
- 3" Chlorine tablets
- pH plus
- pH minus
- alkalinity increaser
- Clarifier
- Super algae remover (rarely use)
- UV enhancer

How big is your pool? Was the water in your pool sitting there for a while and you are trying to get it clean or did you fill it for the first time?

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Strasburg fever has struck me!

Wally World had one blaster, 11 rack jumbo packs and some loose packs. It now only has the loose packs left. :oops:

Who's up for a break?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
It was sitting for a year plus, Dave. It's 18' x 48" deep. The super algae killer is all I've done so far.
I need to get some of the shock, the 3" chlorine tabs, and the pH up & down. The alkalinity, clarifier, and UV enhancer, I haven't heard of.

I think I need to buy Swimming pools for dummies :lol:

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
chashawk said:
It was sitting for a year plus, Dave. It's 18' x 48" deep. The super algae killer is all I've done so far.
I need to get some of the shock, the 3" chlorine tabs, and the pH up & down. The alkalinity, clarifier, and UV enhancer, I haven't heard of.

Yeah I felt so stupid last year. It was our first pool and I was clueless. After I skunked it the first time and had to drain and refill it, I learned a lot talking to the pool store. Biggest thing is balance the water first, then shock it. Unfortunately, the algae killer won't remove what's on the walls. Unfortunately, you are gonna need to scrub the algae and then drain and refill. Start from scratch and you'll have much better results. Once algae has been in there a while it's tough to kill it just with chemicals and takes a loooooong time. How bad is the algae?

Alkalinity basically helps neutralize acids in the water and keeps pH from changing, such as when it rains. pH level is important to allow chlorine reactions to work to kill bacteria, algae, organisms, etc. Clarifier is for clearing up the water if it looks cloudy. UV enhancer helps to maintain chlorine levels on really hot sunny days.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
wideright said:
chashawk said:

Yeah I felt so stupid last year. It was our first pool and I was clueless. After I skunked it the first time and had to drain and refill it, I learned a lot talking to the pool store. Biggest thing is balance the water first, then shock it. Unfortunately, the algae killer won't remove what's on the walls. Unfortunately, you are gonna need to scrub the algae and then drain and refill. Start from scratch and you'll have much better results. Once algae has been in there a while it's tough to kill it just with chemicals and takes a loooooong time. How bad is the algae?

Alkalinity basically helps neutralize acids in the water and keeps pH from changing, such as when it rains. pH level is important to allow chlorine reactions to work to kill bacteria, algae, organisms, etc. Clarifier is for clearing up the water if it looks cloudy. UV enhancer helps to maintain chlorine levels on really hot sunny days.
Skunking it sounds bad. :lol:

Honestly man, the whole pool was green, I mean dark green. Now, after the "scorch", it's all blue except a couple spots, which I'll have to scrub.
This scorch stuff stuff breaks the algae down so that it gets sucked in to the skimmer, then I just rinse it out of the filter cartridge.

Unfortunately, the only pool store around here is The Great Escape, and I constantly feel like those guys are trying to "sell me" on something.

Members online

Latest posts