Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The RYAN HOWARD effect on PUJOLS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
schmidtfan20 said:
The worth of a Howard or a Pujols is much more than just raw stats. While Yankee fan is fed by picking up the
greatest free agents every year,
Philly and Cards fan love their hometown stars. Ryan Howard is a HUGE part
of the Phillies, I went to a spring training game in Florida and the reaction when Ryan walked to the plate was
huge. Poeople come to these games to see guys like Howard and Pujols and Wright, when you are trying to sell
out every game you just can't put a price on that. I don't know how popular Prince is in Milwaukee but Im guessing
its probably the same thing.

Kevin

I know you have a huge man-crush on Howard, but at least make accurate statements. I guess the home grown players they have now don't count?

Jeter
Posada
Cano
Cervelli
Pena
Johnson (started as a Yankee, left and came back)
Gardner
Hughes
Chamberlain
Rivera
Aceves
Robertson
Pettitte

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
If Ryan Howard gets $25M, no way Pujols should get anywhere near that "low". He'll probably sign for around $32M-$35M. He is the best player in baseball and will be compensated as such. He WILL have the richest contract in history, and he will be the highest paid player for a very long time.

Ant

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
hive17 said:
I'm more worried about how this effects the Prince Fielder negotiations.

I think this extension clearly establishes the lowest Prince will ask for, if only b/c he is younger and that's a bonus.

Good point. I think Prince is a much better player than Howard! The Brewers better put an incentive clause to keep his weight in check though.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
markakis8 said:
yah I'm a big Ryan Howard fan but I was like....WOW :shock: $25 million.

If Howard is getting $25 million, Pujols should get $35 million.

It wouldn't surprise me at all though if Pujols gets LESS than Hower per year and stays with the Cardinals so they can have more money to win. I think Albert loves St. Louis and I think that's the type of person he is. He just wants to win.

Pujols is the best player I've ever seen but its not the NBA, you can't do it by yourself.

The 2006 Cardinals disagree with you.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
All these HUGE numbers being thrown around makes me wonder what some old HOf'ers would make in todays game. I know, it comes with the times and its all relative, but I cringe when I think some players years ago had to work 2 jobs because their job playing baseball in the Major Leagues didnt pay enough....Imagine what Ruth or Williams or Dimaggio/Mantle would make today? :shock:

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
As hard as it may be lets look at some players not named Pujols Howard or Prince. What does this mean for a player like Mark Reynolds who hits 44 HR's in his second season drives in tons of runs but strikes out A LOT just like Howard. If he continues 40+ HR 100+ RBI with that 270-280 average and 100+ SO is he worth 125MIL over 5 seasons.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
MallCopKJ said:
All these HUGE numbers being thrown around makes me wonder what some old HOf'ers would make in todays game. I know, it comes with the times and its all relative, but I cringe when I think some players years ago had to work 2 jobs because their job playing baseball in the Major Leagues didnt pay enough....Imagine what Ruth or Williams or Dimaggio/Mantle would make today? :shock:
Pujols is pretty much the answer to that question. His numbers are up there with many of the biggest names of all time.

I agree with those who said this will play a much bigger role with Prince. I think the Pujols negotiations are going to be similar to Mauer, with no real consideration of going elsewhere, and a big contract but not quite what he'd have gotten on the open market. I could see 7 years $210 on Pujols.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
MallCopKJ said:
Pujols is pretty much the answer to that question. His numbers are up there with many of the biggest names of all time.

I agree with those who said this will play a much bigger role with Prince. I think the Pujols negotiations are going to be similar to Mauer, with no real consideration of going elsewhere, and a big contract but not quite what he'd have gotten on the open market. I could see 7 years $210 on Pujols.

They should just sign him to a lifetime contract and let him fill in the amount. Let him be a 1 team player and then he can stick around and be a coach/instructor after his playing days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts