Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

the sports sketchcard thread -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Henderson

May 29, 2012
Forgot which set (I'll have to pull it out to see the back):

FielderSketchDiaz.jpg

Also, you didn't mention my favorite set of sketch cards, the Allen & Ginter Dick Perez minis. Sorry, don't have one to show off.

2009 Topps

Chris Henderson

May 29, 2012
Actually it could be 2010. They used the same card stock for some of the 2010 sketch cards.
They also used 2011 card stock for the 2012 sketches.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
The best thing about doing the sports sets are that you have to do less cards with better deadlines.

What kind of guidelines do they give you? Do they just give you a list of players and you choose what to make, or do they give you some photos they own the rights to and make you create from that?

Chris Henderson

May 29, 2012
What kind of guidelines do they give you? Do they just give you a list of players and you choose what to make, or do they give you some photos they own the rights to and make you create from that?

For the pack inserted cards they usually give us specific references. We usually have a little more leeway on the cards we get to keep but they still have to be approved by Topps when they are finished.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I just wish I'd hear something back about their 'you sketch it' program. I sent in a 9 card Yankee group. I know they don't have to use anything sent or give any info, but I wish they'd give an update. I have a feeling that anything sent in probably ended up in the round file. I wish I could get that set back so I could spread it around to members here that might be interested. Oh well.

Some of the sketches out there are absolutely amazing. Those artists >>> me. Some of you are much nicer than you should be about my attempts. ;)

Last edited:

Don Pedicini Jr.

May 28, 2012
Woundedduck you have great stuff they probably did insert them and just didn't tell anybody. I will ask our art director over there and hopefully he knows the status...

Weimer- Thanks for the kind words...

dd316

Dec 10, 2009
NJ
Awww man, please share ... the industry reads these boards.

I don't want to hijack the thread since my official sketch cards aren't sports-related, you can see all of my work at the link in my signature.

The only "official" sports artwork I've done is paint a Phanatic statue for the Phillies that raised over $14,000 for their charities. :)

27b5a33d16f48c78b96e15a72305e5fc.jpg

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I just wish I'd hear something back about their 'you sketch it' program. I sent in a 9 card Yankee group. I know they don't have to use anything sent or give any info, but I wish they'd give an update. I have a feeling that anything sent in probably ended up in the round file. I wish I could get that set back so I could spread it around to members here that might be interested. Oh well.

Some of the sketches out there are absolutely amazing. Those artists >>> me. Some of you are much nicer than you should be about my attempts. ;)
I beg to differ, Eric. C'mon that is spot on!

doerrsketch.jpg
bdoerrplayballfront.jpg

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
Incredible stuff Don.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Don Pedicini Jr.

May 28, 2012
Can someone tell me anything about this sketch card. I collect Larkin and have never seen this and it doesn't appear to me recognized in Beckett. Is it legit - what is the story behind these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barry-Larkin-Topps-Player-Sketch-Card-NUMBERED-1-1-/261045124060?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cc7807bdc&BackToListReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FMyEbayBeta

This is one of the cards that Topps gave to the players to actually draw on... it's legit.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
It's nice to have an expert on the boards, thanks Don.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Ive had quite a few sketch cards when i was collecting them. I sold most of mine that were from Topps. But i kept my customs

Lino Azevedo did this for me a few years ago for $20

scan0097.jpg

I had a few done through Chris Hoffman but this is my only sports related sketch from him. Its the pic used from the first FCB National card set.

scan0008-1.jpg

These are the non sports i had him do. And they are my favorites so i am showing them off anyway. :)

sloth-1.jpg
mouth-1.jpg
mikey-1.jpg
data-1.jpg
chunk-1.jpg

I also had him do one of Steven Tyler and Joe Perry

scan0006-1.jpg

He had already done these and i bought them from him. Sadly his Captain Spaulding and the others i wanted were already sold.
House of 1000 Corpses

scan0003.jpg
scan0007.jpg

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
Wow - these are some incredible sketch cards. I think they are really appealing and wish I had more. Here's two I do have:

JonesC09Toppssketch.jpg
2009 Topps

Verlander2008ToppsUpdatesketch.jpg
2008 Topps Update

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Don - and for your fantastic sketches. And the same to some of our other artists-in-residence. Great stuff guys.

Members online

Latest posts