Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Thrift Store Thread - Sports Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Dude you are always finding stuff. What type of thrift stores are you hitting up? Goodwill's? All of the Goodwill's near me jack the prices up on a bunch of stuff and I think "this is goodwill isn't stuff supposed to be cheap."

I go to a lot of goodwills, and smaller thrift stores. it sucks now though because goodwill pulls most high dollar stuff for their E Sales department. I think most of the sports stuff I hunt for still makes its way to the floor, but it kinds pisses me off that they get all the stuff for free and now they seem to be researching and pricing stuff higher. the one I have the best luck with for sports stuff is called ECO Thrift but there stuff starts high and gets marked down by 25% each week but they buy all their items. seems like local team stuff is priced high but I find steals on out of market team stuff. and the jersey I bought off ebay just thought it was pretty rare paid $15 and the A's bag was from the same guy I bought the bats from at the flea market.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
LOTS of sports stuff at the thrift shops today.

I found -

Mets Russell jsy from 1996
3 opened but complete MacFarlenes
Football cards
Signed Twins hat
Tampa Bay Lightning pullover
White Sox Fleece pullover

I only ended up buying one thing sports related.

2007 San Fransisco Giants SGA seat cushion (levi's day?) I paid $.50 for it.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
So how do you guys decide when to go to the thrift store? Like is there a certain time that is best... when new merchandise comes in?

not really I just go when I'm bored, usually after I drop my daughter off at school I go to 2 or 3. the one I like to go to the items drop by 25% every tuesday so thats a good day for that one. I also like to go to the goodwills the day after there big 50% sales because the store gets wiped out & they seem to save enventory to restock after those sales so a lot of new stuff to browse.

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
shopgoodwill.com - Categories

You can also find interesting stuff on ShopGoodwill.com

Such as a 1938 New York Yankees Auto'd team ball with Lou Gehrig on the sweet spot along with Joe DiMaggio, Joe McCarthy, and 23 others for $45 ... and it is now PSA authenticated.

Just bought this: shopgoodwill.com - #12312769 - Toronto Blue Jays #46 Gilles Baseball Jersey - 1/28/2013 6:03:00 PM

Tom Gillies Toronto Blue Jays Home Jersey... 1990 set... Gillies played 2 games in the Majors, June 7th & 8th, 1990. He got the win, and never played in the majors again... I kind of figure that if I ever played only two games (over 2 days) in the bigs, I probably didn't have a lot of jerseys... but I'd sure want one 23 years later if it appeared on Ebay. If not, I'll wear it and tell people that I'm a bird watcher.

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
you bought the ball then got it authenticated and it was good????? awesome great score if so

Yes, I did. The ball was faded, and all you can really see of the Gehrig is the big loop of the G... the pictures were not good, and I was really buying a Reach auto'd base ball you couldn't really make out the names. When I opened the package in the car, I saw the G and had to pull over... There's 7 hall of famers altogether (2 are clubhouse -Joe McCarthy, Lefty Gomez), and I was able to discern all of the signatures, others are: Bill Dickey, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Red Ruffing, Joe Gordon... I have pics on my pc at work and will try to post a few tomorrow. Like I said, its pretty faded, and the auction pictures were not very good so I got a deal. If the ball had clearer sigs, someone would have spotted Lou and I would never had got it... pretty happy.

I also put in a sniper bid for a Lemon Peel trophy ball and what looked like one of the very earliest catchers masks ever made... I wanted them really bad, and could have won the auction for $400... But put in a bid for $200 because it was really low with a minute to go... but of course I wasn't the only one who wanted it...

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
Yes, I did. The ball was faded, and all you can really see of the Gehrig is the big loop of the G... the pictures were not good, and I was really buying a Reach auto'd base ball you couldn't really make out the names. When I opened the package in the car, I saw the G and had to pull over... There's 7 hall of famers altogether (2 are clubhouse -Joe McCarthy, Lefty Gomez), and I was able to discern all of the signatures, others are: Bill Dickey, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Red Ruffing, Joe Gordon... I have pics on my pc at work and will try to post a few tomorrow. Like I said, its pretty faded, and the auction pictures were not very good so I got a deal. If the ball had clearer sigs, someone would have spotted Lou and I would never had got it... pretty happy.

I also put in a sniper bid for a Lemon Peel trophy ball and what looked like one of the very earliest catchers masks ever made... I wanted them really bad, and could have won the auction for $400... But put in a bid for $200 because it was really low with a minute to go... but of course I wasn't the only one who wanted it...

This has to be the one of the greatest finds in the history of history.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Found this snapback today

$(KGrHqFHJEIFDz9i8mq8BRC)0gIsD!~~60_57.JPG

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Last edited:

Members online