Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This Jeter Auto article is disturbing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
I bring the occasional ball to a NYP league game, and try to get a VU team signed ball when I can.

In my experience, the very young players actually get a thrill out of signing autographs. It makes them feel like big leaguers. Once they are big leaguers, they don't need that thrill to feel like that. I have good seats at o's games. I'll bring a sharpie to see if someone signs my ticket, but mostly I just want a be and a boog's.

Examples: I got Jason Esposito to sign the first orioles item at a game the day after he was drafted. He was pretty happy to put his sig on the hat (and inscribe it first o's auto). Dorssys Paulino seemed to really like signing autos, too. According to a coach of his, the kids are trained to use autographs as a practice to interact with fans.

Id never set up outside a hotel, though. But that's just because I'd feel weird doing so. Obviously some folks feel finedoingit, and more power to them.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
wow.. The holy ones walk on water don't they?
I collect IP autographs. Do I line up at 3 am. HELL NO. I will casually get autographs, but lining up at 3 am is absurd. Last year Longo was doing a rehab assignment at Gwinnett. I was there a hour earlier. My time is more valuable to stand like a "stalker" at 3 am. Even in the AFL I take my time. I don't crowd while someone else gets an auto, and I make sure if there are kids around, I say "sign for the kid first".. No skin off my teeth if they sign for the kid first. I think a majority of the players appreciate the fact that I am more concerned with the kid getting an autograph over myself. (Or maybe they don't, who the hell knows!)
Harper's first MILB game at Rome Ga is a good example. I walked down the line as Bryce was walking back to the clubhouse. This kid followed me, and I asked Bryce to sign, he walked over I said to Bryce, "sign for the little guy first, he has been patiently waiting for your auto" and then the hoard started making its way over, Bryce then signed my BA and the madness ensued. I know very well that kid wouldn't have been able to get through the scrum of dealers. And yes, there were plenty there.

Lets face it, Kids are no longer baseball fans b/c they find the game "boring".. Those kids that still enjoy getting IP autographs are a priority. While I enjoy getting autographs for myself, I have an amazing collection and anyone off the boards that have been to my place will attest to that, I also have boundaries. Most dealers and Ebayers do not. I recall this "woman" (we will use that gender identification loosely) would come to the Atlanta games with Jerseys, Helmets and Balls. It would never fail, she would be by the dugouts getting autographs. I have seen her block out children (Almost as good as Barkley in his days with the Sixers) just go get a helmet signed. Luckily she has moved from the area.

Those of us who enjoy IP "graphing" and have boundaries, and that do not sell their autographs, are in my opinion not the problem. I like the quote by Tyler Austin about his mom. I met Tyler last year. Great kid. We chatted about Conyers where he is from. I had just been out there for work the day before. I have found most players enjoy talking about things other than baseball. If you know something more about them, example being Mike Stanton in Chattanooga back in 2009. We chatted about college football. He seemed to really enjoy bs'ing about something other than baseball. He signed everything I had, without me asking. I also gave away several of his cards to kids and adults around me. I try to bring extras when I do IP signing. They are just cards, I don't mind doing it.

But I suppose the fanatical "graphers" have ruined a lot of the enjoyment of the "hobby" for a lot of us. And also have given us a bad reputation. But the comments about "growing up" and "pathetic" is really not cool. Its a hobby, do we "make fun" of those who play Magic and other games (ok, I do.. but that is b/c I like giving Gilmore a hard time)
This is from 2009
IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I bring the occasional ball to a NYP league game, and try to get a VU team signed ball when I can.

In my experience, the very young players actually get a thrill out of signing autographs. It makes them feel like big leaguers. Once they are big leaguers, they don't need that thrill to feel like that. I have good seats at o's games. I'll bring a sharpie to see if someone signs my ticket, but mostly I just want a be and a boog's.

Examples: I got Jason Esposito to sign the first orioles item at a game the day after he was drafted. He was pretty happy to put his sig on the hat (and inscribe it first o's auto). Dorssys Paulino seemed to really like signing autos, too. According to a coach of his, the kids are trained to use autographs as a practice to interact with fans.

Id never set up outside a hotel, though. But that's just because I'd feel weird doing so. Obviously some folks feel finedoingit, and more power to them.

exactly! Boundaries..

Tpm2780

Dec 27, 2012
Illinois
Sadly the majority are dealers, some are real classy and send kids to do their business work. I seen and adult once get an autograph from Mariano turn around and try to sell the signed ball to a child's father after MO drove away. Why? Cause his kid was crying (he was 3 and didnt fully understand) because he didnt get a ball. But dont worry he offered to sell it $20 less than ebay, because you know he is a class act.

That's unfortunate! Was just assuming most of them were collectors and not dealers.:eek:

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
That's unfortunate! Was just assuming most of them were collectors and not dealers.:eek:

Yes it was, luckily a nice gentleman in the crowd gave the lil guy a ball. Granted it wasnt signed but it was not about that to the kid. But it was all about cash for the dealer.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I will confess that I am an IP grapher.. Not sports, but entertainment...

I travelled to Toronto film feat and San Diego comic con in the quest..

I have gotten some great names in person this year, including:
Michael Jordan (at Tahoe golf event)
Arnold Schwartznegger
Kate Beckinsale
Ewan McGregor
Jackie Chan
Seth MacFarlane
The entire Sons of Anarchy cast
Kevin Bacon
Kiefer Sutherland
And tons more...

Does this make me crazy that I go for these autographs in person? Most would say so..

Am I a true collector? Hell yes!!

I know some look down on my hobby, but it is what I love ..

I learned a long time ago not to judge fellow collectors, but embrace the fact that we are all nuts...

BG

bdangelo

Jul 5, 2009
I live in the Tampa area. It's tough for a celebrity, particularly someone like Jeter, to just stop and sign. It has to be calculating on his part, he has to adhere to some kind of personal schedule. If he just came up and started signing, he'd be mobbed. And at some point he would have to cut it off because, he has to do his workouts or take care of things in his personal life. And naturally, someone would be unhappy. Collecting autographs is cool, I wouldn't go to the extreme of camping out but wouldn't blame someone who did. Jeter is always pleasant during the actual spring training practices and games and does banter a bit with the crowd. I guess that makes fans want his autograph even more. Autograph seekers are not limited to Florida folks, I've seen lots of New Yorkers, Philly folks and Tiger fans from out of state approach getting autographs with the same zeal at srping training sites. Here's what you'd call a dream moment: Years ago, around 1996-97, my wife was at the Yankees complex at one of the practice fields when a stray ball rolled up to her. She picked it up and flipped it to the player who chased after it. He stopped, took out a pen (he had a pen in his uniform pocket? LOL) and signed it and flipped it back to her. It was from Wade Boggs. We still have the grass-stained ball.

Bob

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I find it both comical & pathetic to watch grown men swoon ball players for autographs, like a bunch little girls would towards Justin Bieber....There comes a time to grow up, be a man and leave some things for the kids......BTW I do not claim to be perfect in anyway, just my take after witnessing it for many years

Dude, look...we've all seen our share of people who take it way to far. IMO, running after a player, yelling insults because they won't sign autos, actually following them into a restraunt or hotel, or bugging them while they are eating or in their hotel is weird. Following their car is crazy too. I've seen it all. But waiting to get an auto is not crazy. Honestly as of late, I do more of the sit down auto events. I don't mind waiting outside the ballpark or even a hotel. Most of the teams stay at the same hotel down here so it's not really all that much of a big secret. People wait patiently by the bus and nobody gets too stupid because nobody wants to mess it up for anybody else. If we get stuff signed great. If not, oh well. But I don't like getting shut out because it really does cost me a decent amount in gas, time, and an item to not get anything for it. I don't sell so it's not like I can recoup that money or time. So I try to do all the sit down stuff. Now we are starting to have trouble with that because the people running the event will tell us that we are allowed to bring outside items to get signed and then right when the player gets there they are telling us no, they can only sign a promotional card. That's started happening a lot more so it's getting dicey as to whether it's worth it or not to even go to those. I don't collect promotional 4x6 cards. Sorry.

But not everyone sells their stuff and not everyone is acting foolish. Some of us would just like to be able to get a very rare IP auto and have a story to tell. Them not charging for the auto is even cooler because if you do get someone good, you saved a boatload of money. I could go online and buy virtually any auto of any player. But at least if I get it, I save money and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's real.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I find it both comical & pathetic to watch grown men swoon ball players for autographs, like a bunch little girls would towards Justin Bieber....There comes a time to grow up, be a man and leave some things for the kids......BTW I do not claim to be perfect in anyway, just my take after witnessing it for many years

I find it both comical and pathetic when people stay up until all hours of the night waiting to catch the latest deal on a bunch of college and high school kids' baseball cards.

To each, their own.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I find it both comical and pathetic when people stay up until all hours of the night waiting to catch the latest deal on a bunch of college and high school kids' baseball cards.

To each, their own.

Or taking pics of players stretching or doing PFPs with their zoom lens from 200 feet away.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
I've never understood why buying signed 2.5x3.5-inch pieces of cardboard is more exciting than actually meeting players for free. But, I'm just a freak, what do I know?

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I will confess that I am an IP grapher.. Not sports, but entertainment...

I travelled to Toronto film feat and San Diego comic con in the quest..

I have gotten some great names in person this year, including:
Michael Jordan (at Tahoe golf event)
Arnold Schwartznegger
Kate Beckinsale
Ewan McGregor
Jackie Chan
Seth MacFarlane
The entire Sons of Anarchy cast
Kevin Bacon
Kiefer Sutherland
And tons more...

Does this make me crazy that I go for these autographs in person? Most would say so..

Am I a true collector? Hell yes!!

I know some look down on my hobby, but it is what I love ..

I learned a long time ago not to judge fellow collectors, but embrace the fact that we are all nuts...

BG

Kate Beckinsale = yum

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
I've never understood why buying signed 2.5x3.5-inch pieces of cardboard is more exciting than actually meeting players for free. But, I'm just a freak, what do I know?

Agree 100%. Some of the people on this board who are lambasting the autograph hounds appear to have autographed cards they pulled out of a pack of cards of bought off of eBay right in their damn signatures. Heck, the have multiple copies of the same autographed card!! You know what I find bizarre? People who collect signed baseball cards out of packs giving a bunch of crap to people who get baseball cards signed in person!! Just because their card has a little gold serial number indicating it's a limited edition they're better than someone who got the same card signed in person? Not arguing the card value but arguing against calling the IP autographer "comical." To each his own man - live and let live.

Again, I do agree that lining up at 3am and pouting if you don't get an autograph is absurd. I have a little collection of baseballs I've gotten signed either at conventions or other signings around town and quite a robust collection of baseballs I got signed at Indians games when I was in high school. I also hate the dealers that are always first in line with their binder full of 8x10s and cards. That's pretty much why I just suck it up and pay the big bucks for the players I want to get a ball signed at TriStar shows or when I go to FanFest every year.

I'd like to think I'm not a weirdo but considering how a lot of people around here like to throw stones from their glass houses, I guess I might qualify.

Members online

Latest posts