Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This should be hilarious

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My Magic playing friends and I are starting a Fantasy League. Only a couple of us have done fantasy before (not me). Basically, all I know about Fantasy is from watching The League. I know far more about football cards than actual football players, as far as whose cards are worth what, which is different from how valuable they might be in Fantasy terms. I haven't even had regular TV in a couple years, so I have watched very little ball since 2011. I'm not sure of the depth of fantasy or football knowledge of the other guys. But it's free, and we will have fun, hopefully.

Inadvertently, I joined a mock draft online before heading to lunch. I got autodrafted this team at the #3 spot (and I can see all the other presumably live picks):
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]1. Jamaal Charles (KC - RB)
2. Montee Ball (Den - RB)
3. Alshon Jeffery (Chi - WR)
4. Vincent Jackson (TB - WR)
5. Pierre Garcon (Was - WR)
6. Vernon Davis (SF - TE)
7. Matt Ryan (Atl - QB)
8. Carolina (Car - DEF)
9. Matt Prater (Den - K)
10. Ryan Mathews (SD - RB)
11. Nick Foles (Phi - QB)
12. Golden Tate (Det - WR)
13. Brandin Cooks (NO - WR)
14. Ladarius Green (SD - TE)
15. Chicago (Chi - DEF) [/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Although it's pointless to get into specifics on this particular list, my general question is is this team good or is it obviously drafted by some dumb computer? While I've been researching Fantasy for the last couple days, I'd like to get some general drafting tips. First, are RBs generally the most valuable guys? Six of the 8 first round picks were RBs (except TE Jimmy Graham at #2 and #8 Peyton Manning). Also, all round 8 picks were defenses, with none chosen before that. Is that a rule?

Anyway, any comments are welcome. The draft is 8/24, so I can cram.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
This team is very good. I would love to draft that team. There would be a good chance Nick Foles would be the starting QB instead of Matt Ryan.

You can choose your defense (or any position), whenever you like. Round 8 is probably way too high.

A couple pieces of general advice:
1. Go buy a Fantasy Football magazine to get some decent pointers. You only need one.
2. Always wait until the final round to draft a kicker.
3. Stock up on as many RBs and WRs as you possibly can (I'm no "expert", but I usually only draft one QB, one TE, one DEF and one K. The rest are RB and WR for me.).
4. Get together with your buddies for draft night, instead of doing it by yourself on your computer. It is always one of my favorite nights of the year.

Have fun and good luck!

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Good deal, thanks. I'm leery of picking a guy like Charles because I always think he couldn't match the previous year's production, given that they won't be playing the schedule of a 2-14 team again, and any one guy could regress, which is just my luck. I appreciate the advice of loading up on the RB and WRs. Looking at how scoring is done (it's a Yahoo league with I believe the default scoring), it seems like you get the most points out of those guys most consistently. Getting one of those plus the QB from the same team I think could lead to some huge numbers, but also very low numbers if they get stomped on.

Wasn't sure about the K going as my 9th pick there. Seemed odd, considering I got 2 non-scrub QBs after him. That was what made me think either I have no idea what I'm doing, or the computer didn't.