Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Today's win! Not really sure why I won it, but hey..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
You sold your brennon boesch cards yet? I traded a matt bashore ref auto for an xfractor auto of him so I am stoked to see he got the call to the majors and I turned a $4 card into $20.

Take it easy man!

Jason

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
"Clemente played eighteen seasons in Major League Baseball from 1955 through 1972, all with Pittsburgh."
"He died in an aviation accident on December 31, 1972, while en route to deliver aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. "

chashawk said:
The Pittsburgh Pirates were the first MLB team to "experiment" with poly/knit jerseys in the 1970 season.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/ ... e_1970.htm

Hence why I have said in the past that I believe the Clemente patches in this same product to be game used, and why the Williams def. are not.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Wow, any else have pictures of the Clemente cards from this set. No way the one pictured is from a game used jersey. Look at how crisp/new and jersey and stitching looks like something made recently. Back then they only used 1 set a season most of the time. Any older player jersey piece should look very worn.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
matchpenalty said:
Wow, any else have pictures of the Clemente cards from this set. No way the one pictured is from a game used jersey. Look at how crisp/new and jersey and stitching looks like something made recently. Back then they only used 1 set a season most of the time. Any older player jersey piece should look very worn.

Could you provide some sort of reference for your statement?

In hand it appears worn.
Clemente_25_35.jpg

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
matchpenalty said:

Mine didnt have a lot of jersey, it was mostly patch.

Shep

img155-Copy.jpg

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Does that like a 40 year old piece of jersey from what would be from a well worn jersey. Does that stitching and material look like it's well worn from something 40 years old. I'd compare that sample of a jersey to one from back then from a legit gamer, from stitching to material ect. Also back then teams recycled jerseys on down. They got everything they could out of them. Their was no game used collectors and marketing of stuff in that era. What does back of these cards even say. Does it say on Williams and Celmente that the jersey piece is from a game worn jersey by them?

You would think UD would have some kind of record of where and who they purchased these jerseys from. Who authenticated them and what research was done on them.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
matchpenalty said:
Does that like a 40 year old piece of jersey from what would be from a well worn jersey. Does that stitching and material look like it's well worn from something 40 years old. I'd compare that sample of a jersey to one from back then from a legit gamer, from stitching to material ect. Also back then teams recycled jerseys on down. They got everything they could out of them. Their was no game used collectors and marketing of stuff in that era. What does back of these cards even say. Does it say on Williams and Celmente that the jersey piece is from a game worn jersey by them?

You would think UD would have some kind of record of where and who they purchased these jerseys from. Who authenticated them and what research was done on them.
So....every jersey prior to, oh say 1990, was not actually worn by the player?

All those Ruth, Dimaggio, Maris, Mantle, Williams, etc. from every set ever made are all fake and not game worn?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
matchpenalty, are these assumptions or facts you are writing? These seem like blanket statement which might be true in some instances but not all and in no way can be inferred and related to all teams and players. Clemente's death was tragic, are you saying his gear was passed down? Are you saying he only had one jersey in any one given year? Could you provide some reference to your comments?

If you are thinking about DLP Clemente Gamers and "well worn" patches those were pre-1970s uniforms made from different materials and yes they appear different.

Anyway, I will scan the back in the morning to show exactly what it says, since I actually own one of these.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
chashawk said:
matchpenalty said:

All those Ruth, Dimaggio, Maris, Mantle, Williams, etc. from every set ever made are all fake and not game worn?

Nobody really knows. Have UD ever came out said where they got these jerseys. I guess I'm more skeptical on game used card gimmick. Prove to me these are legit jerseys. Very very few legit Mantle, Ruth, Williams, Joe D jerseys exist. But tons of fakes have been bought and sold in many auction house.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
matchpenalty said:
chashawk said:
matchpenalty said:

Nobody really knows. Have UD ever came out said where they got these jerseys. I guess I'm more skeptical on game used card gimmick. Prove to me these are legit jerseys. Very very few legit Mantle, Ruth, Williams, Joe D jerseys exist. But tons of fakes have been bought and sold in many auction house.
Pretty sure DLP took a load of heat back in the day for cutting up a HEAVILY authenticated Ruth gamer that they bought at auction.

Not really sure why you keep saying UD either, because DLP and Topps have put out game worn/used cards of these same players.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
What in the blue hell does your Frankencard have to do with the discussion? Because it has a piece of a patch you removed from some other card?

hofautos said:

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
A game used Roberto Clemente jersey JUST sold 2 weeks ago in Grey Flannel auctions for $37K+!!! The Clemente gamer came with a LOA from the Pittsburgh Pirates that dated back to 1978.

Here is a pic of the jersey (used in the 1972 season)....

167pkjk.jpg

The tag off the Jersey...

a2zml5.jpg

and the auction link....
http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/ ... category=1

Matchpenalty- Dont kid yourself and say that there was no game used collectors back in the 1970's. No it wasn't as widespread as it is today, when a player will wear three different jerseys per game, but there was still a lot of game used collectors back in the 70s. Collecting game used jerseys is not something new that just started in the 90s.

Members online

Latest posts