Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps going public. What does this mean for the hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
They used to be public, before Eisner’s group took them private. I don’t think this changes much for the hobby, tbh.

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I'm not the smartest guy on FCB. Heck I'm not the smartest guy in this thread. I think this has more to do with the NFT. I don't think they would be going public without the NFT part of this story. If I understand a NFT it is not anything I would want to spend money on. Heck, I'm not sure I understand what I just wrote.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I don't understand NFT at all, but my impression is that it's spending money on something that isn't actually a thing. Like those Topps Bunt "cards." Hard pass from me, I don't have so much money that I'm going to spend it on something that is nothing.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
NFT is basically Topps Bunt except you actually own the rights to the item. Currently, it is not legal to sell your Topps Bunt cards, though it is commonly done. NFT means you OWN the digital image, so you can sell it legally.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Ah thank you for clearing that up. I can see why some people (especially younger people who grew up with iTunes and downloadable video games and are more used to digitally owning something) might like this but I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a major old fart on it. Phooey on NFT's!

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Ah thank you for clearing that up. I can see why some people (especially younger people who grew up with iTunes and downloadable video games and are more used to digitally owning something) might like this but I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a major old fart on it. Phooey on NFT's!

Same here.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
The problem is people who are younger would either like meme related NFTs or sports ones from the source itself (Tom Brady is starting his own) For example pokemon with fat asses is a popular NFT. 😗 I think Topps will underestimate how unboring you have to be to get popular these days. They are the day old meatloaf of the collectable world.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
For example pokemon with fat asses is a popular NFT.

39k is the priciest one I think. Total madness!

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
If you watch the new Taco Bell commercials they are advertising food or deals that you can only purchase on the app. It's part of their NFT. I think it's their way of fighting the cost of labor. Eventually they will be cashless with no employees.

I'm officially old. I prefer going inside to order my food and have never used Door Dash. If I can't go get it myself I don't need it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Their ridiculously uninformative "Investors" page does have one interesting bit. Topps Digital Services is apparently a provider for e-cards and such for some big brands. I'd bet this is not about cards or candy at all but about raising capital to go harder into that arena.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
And here we go. Topps is officially entering the NFT market.

There are guys on the local sports talk radio that get so excited about getting picked in "lotteries" to buy limited edition digital packs. Every time they talk about it, I just shake my head and wonder if they were born dumb or if it was a gradual progression.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not the smartest guy on FCB. Heck I'm not the smartest guy in this thread. I think this has more to do with the NFT. I don't think they would be going public without the NFT part of this story. If I understand a NFT it is not anything I would want to spend money on. Heck, I'm not sure I understand what I just wrote.

Members online

Latest posts