Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Heritage collectors probably need to look at this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephcb09

Apr 1, 2009
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to show you guys my latest Topps Heritage purchase. I questioned the existence of this card until a couple months ago, when I had the opportunity to buy one. In the twelve and a half years since 2001 Topps Heritage came out, I had never seen one. I had heard many stories of people owning one but all of those were either fabrications or dead ends. This card was pulled as a live box topper, not as a redemption as some had suspected. I purchased the card from the guy who pulled it and he sent me the card in the original card saver and sleeve. He said it was just sitting on top of the packs, not in any kind of pack. Given this story I would think that the value of an unopened hobby box would continue to hold strong. Anyway you hard core Heritage guy should appreciate this…..

2001 Topps Heritage Willie Mays Autoproof – 1952 Topps Buyback

0152MaysautoproofF_zps98d9b1af.jpg

maysback_zps6056fcc1.jpg

That puts my final count for the 2001 Topps Heritage Master set at 8 cards:
Red Schoendienst CC auto relic
Magglio Ordonez red ink autograph
Corey Patterson red ink autograph
Randy Wolf red ink autograph
Minoso/Thomas dual CC relic
Mathews/Jones dual CC relic
Ashburn/Rolen dual CC relic
Mays/Williams Time Capsule dual relic

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Only those that have looked or are still looking for a card for 10 years or more that is supposed to exist but have heard only rumors and half truths can truly appreciate how tough this card was to find. For Joe, who has one of the most advanced '01 Heritage collections out there, this is definitely a White Whale kind of pickup.

Great card, Joe - glad it finally made it back into your hands with the appropriate identification. Fair warning: since it is slabbed and therefore protected, I'll be blowing a snot rocket at it when I get to see it in person.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
That is so friggin cool on multiple levels. Lets see...

a 52 Topps Mays is dope on its own
it is signed by the man, now I really want it
it should be slabbed, and it is
wait, it was numbered and put into an iconic and groundbreaking product?
wait, PSA acknowledges such on the slip?
now it's in a master set collector's hands

That is such a ridiculously awesome card, representing so many facets of the hobby, I can barely stand it. Whatever you paid for it was worth it, yo.

josephcb09

Apr 1, 2009
Awesome card. How does the auto look in person? It looks like it's been exposed to quite a bit of direct light.

The autograph looks great in person. It does look darker than the typical "Topps blue ink" signature but I think that has more to do with the autograph sitting older card stock over 13 years. It definately doesn't look faded, just not the bright blue.

josephcb09

Apr 1, 2009
I thought you guys might like to see the "other" 2001 Mays Autoproof. This one is numbered to 100 and was inserted into 2001 Topps Archives. I just recently got both Autoproofs back from PSA, I wanted the flips to match.

0173MaysautoproofF_zps24c883a0.jpg
73MaysautoproofB_zpsf87b6612.jpg

Members online

Latest posts