Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps NFTs Yes/No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popguynyc

Feb 11, 2012
I enjoyed buying some Top Shot NBA NFTs when they first came out, and made some money flipping a couple early LeBron "moments." But I have yet to "cash out." I've probably spent $100 real dollars, and have an account worth $800. At one time it was worth more than $1400. I've cooled on the concept, for sure.

Now Topps announces their entry (call it a desperate hail-Mary) into 2022 MLB NFTs and it already seems like it has one foot in the bucket (as they say).

I was mildly curious about getting a pack or two, but now that I've looked at the Phillies checklist, it seems even more ridiculous. 13 "base" cards - with five players who are not even on the Phillies' roster this year. If it's "virtual" why not be up-to-date? Lots of reasons to skip this...
They've already postponed the initial launch...

Anybody have thoughts on this?

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I enjoyed buying some Top Shot NBA NFTs when they first came out, and made some money flipping a couple early LeBron "moments." But I have yet to "cash out." I've probably spent $100 real dollars, and have an account worth $800. At one time it was worth more than $1400. I've cooled on the concept, for sure.

Now Topps announces their entry (call it a desperate hail-Mary) into 2022 MLB NFTs and it already seems like it has one foot in the bucket (as they say).

I was mildly curious about getting a pack or two, but now that I've looked at the Phillies checklist, it seems even more ridiculous. 13 "base" cards - with five players who are not even on the Phillies' roster this year. If it's "virtual" why not be up-to-date? Lots of reasons to skip this...
They've already postponed the initial launch...

Anybody have thoughts on this?

I see baseball having a lot tougher time gaining traction in this space. Basketball collectors tend to be a bit less traditional and more forward thinking, which is why Top Shots have done reasonably well. I've had good success there but am too busy to keep up with it much.

I may dabble in the MLB stuff because I see an opportunity to earn a bit of profit I can use for other stuff I care about more.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I enjoy Bunt, for some mindless enjoyment. Kind of like the thrill of busting packs, without having to spend any money! I would never buy diamonds, coins or cards on that app though (minus the couple Garvey cards I paid a buck each for early on. I figured out I could search all cards, find any of the images and screenshot them and it's no different than having it in my digital collection. I have the same image of the Garvey Bunt card /6 that the owners of them have. How exclusive is that?

It's hard not to freely toss out the old man answer here that I want to, that anyone who buys these is a MORON, because sometimes we get made to look like fools later and people are making money so there is that. However, I personally just don't get paying real $ for a digital image and can't see me ever changing my mind. It feels a lot like a pyramid scheme, where only the early ones will ever do well and everyone else who came in late will be caught holding the flaming bag of poo!

I guess if, unlike Bunt, you had the only copy of an image, then nobody else could "have " or even view it, then maybe I see a small reason to buy.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I understand the technology behind NFTs , cryptocurrency, and blockchain, but right now it seems like a technology in search of an application and it just so happened that it could be turned into some sort of collectible for people that really live in their own heads. I've still not had anyone satisfactorily explain to me what you are actually buying when you buy an NFT. You are not buying the copyright or trademark to the image, so you can't go out and license the image to someone else, and you can't do something like sell T-shirts of the image, and if your image is used in some other medium that you would be owed a royalty for, you don't get it. With Metaverse and whatever other online worlds come along, it just seems like there are people out there intent on just recreating the entire world digitally and selling it back to you again.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I understand the technology behind NFTs , cryptocurrency, and blockchain, but right now it seems like a technology in search of an application and it just so happened that it could be turned into some sort of collectible for people that really live in their own heads. I've still not had anyone satisfactorily explain to me what you are actually buying when you buy an NFT. You are not buying the copyright or trademark to the image, so you can't go out and license the image to someone else, and you can't do something like sell T-shirts of the image, and if your image is used in some other medium that you would be owed a royalty for, you don't get it. With Metaverse and whatever other online worlds come along, it just seems like there are people out there intent on just recreating the entire world digitally and selling it back to you again.
To me, it's just an avenue of investment. You aren't buying the right to the image or right to reproduce it, you are purely buying the right to sell it in the future. It's for people who were so bored with investing in stocks and bonds and physical items that they decided they would create a way to invest in literally nothing, just for investments sake. Good for the people who have made money off of it, I guess. But in order for future investors to continue making money they need more people to buy into the concept and spend money on these things, and I don't see that happening.