Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Redemption replacement...did I get boned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I had a James Paxton 2012 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor Autograph /5 pending for over a year, and asked to have it replaced 2 weeks ago. I paid $450 for the redemption shortly after the product came out (I know I overpaid), and though I doubt it's worth anywhere near that much now if the card was live, I was expecting to receive a replacement valued at $150 or so, since I believe that's what I would be able to get for a Paxton red Chrome auto /5 at this point. Anyway, I got a package in the mail today, and it was the replacement...

Joe Mauer 2012 Allen & Ginter framed mini autograph blue ink

I'm guessing it's short printed since I can't find any record of one sold recently on ebay. Anyone think I can get $150 for this? Or should I send it back and ask for another replacement? Thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• Joe Mauer replacement.JPG
    Joe Mauer replacement.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 120

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
If I remember correctly, the 2012 were selling similarly to the 2011, and possibly for more. The last 2 from 2011 sold for $125 and $140

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
it allo comes down to if you like it or not. If i had a 400 dollar card they owed me but sent me a cool 100 dollar card of my fave player i would be happy. Sometimes it isnt alwyas about value. if you dont mind me asking if you collect James Paxton why didnt you ask for a replacement of one of his cards or dont they have any?

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
I originally bought the Paxton as a prospect investment (I let myself get suckered into the hype, that didn't work out...). Topps still doesn't have a contract in place for Paxton to sign his Chrome cards, and at this point I don't think they ever will. I had a bunch of Auto Golds and Oranges of Paxton swapped out a few months back (rec'd fair replacements for them IMO), but I was holding out with the Red until now.

I wasn't asked who I would prefer when I requested the replacement. If I were to send it back, I would state some names with my letter, but at this point, I'll just eat the loss if I can get close to $150 for the Mauer.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Yes the mauer is extremely short printed so you should be able to get around $150. No print runs announced but wouldn't be surprised if it was between 25-50.

With that said not sure is it is a fair replacement for a red refractor auto though.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Yes the mauer is extremely short printed so you should be able to get around $150. No print runs announced but wouldn't be surprised if it was between 25-50.

With that said not sure is it is a fair replacement for a red refractor auto though.

I agree it isn't fair in the sense that the card I was supposed to get was limited to 5, and was valued much higher at the time it was redeemed. However, I think that $150 is about all I can get for it if I tried to sell it today, so I suppose it's good enough of a replacement.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I can't believe you are actually thinking about taking this. 450 for a maybe 150 dollar card!? Send IT BACK!

he PAID 450 for the card in question. It was never, and currently is not (if live) worth 450.

I think Topps did this one right. A ginter SP mini auto of a proven star.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
he PAID 450 for the card in question. It was never, and currently is not (if live) worth 450.

I think Topps did this one right. A ginter SP mini auto of a proven star.
I agree that he PAID that much. And I agree that its not worth 450. But to think that auto is worth 150 is crazy. Paxton live autos would be worth 2-3x maybe more on the nicer color autos especially gradable ones than what they are selling now.

IMO it was a bad replacement. However, it wasn't mine so who am I to say its a bad replacement. If your happy then thats all that matters.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I've heard too many horror stories on here to ever buy redemptions, but can someone help me understand the replacement process?

Are they supposedly matching its current value at the time you ask for replacement? If you're looking for $150 value, I think the Mauer is fair. But if it was worth 450 however long ago (or even 300, if you say 450 was overpaying by a lot)...then shouldn't they replace that value? It's their fault the card wasn't made, not yours, and if it had been made then you would have been able to move the actual card itself at any point between it's decline from 450-150.

I know it's not a perfect world and Topps customer service is generally poor, but just trying to understand why you wouldn't get more for it. Would it work the same way if a card gained value between the time you purchased it and then asked for replacement?

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I originally bought the Paxton as a prospect investment (I let myself get suckered into the hype, that didn't work out...). Topps still doesn't have a contract in place for Paxton to sign his Chrome cards, and at this point I don't think they ever will. I had a bunch of Auto Golds and Oranges of Paxton swapped out a few months back (rec'd fair replacements for them IMO), but I was holding out with the Red until now.

I wasn't asked who I would prefer when I requested the replacement. If I were to send it back, I would state some names with my letter, but at this point, I'll just eat the loss if I can get close to $150 for the Mauer.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I pulled a base Paxton auto redemption out of 2012 Chrome. If Topps doesn't even have a contract for him to sign it really ticks me off that last week I pulled a Paxton auto redemption out of 2013 Bowman Platinum.

Do they not care at all about the customer to keep cranking out redemptions for players they don't even have under contract? Stupid question. I know the answer.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Topps goes by the book value of a card when the replacement is requested. For the Paxton red, there was no book value, so apparently they have someone who researches comparable values (I've also heard they use someone from beckett for that) to pick a replacement as determined.

It'd be nice if I can just show Topps a paypal receipt and say I paid $450 for it and they'll give me a replacement worth $450, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I don't know if anything can be done about it, barring some kind of litigation...but what would I be suing for? That my card declined in value and it was Topps' fault? And they always disclaim that they can't guarantee value of the cards they produce.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Paxton signed his Bowman Platinum redemptions. Just putting that out there.

I am willing to say that a Paxton red auto /5 is gonna sell for more then 150. Fair market value should be around 300.

Anyone can look at the redemption values right now and disagree with me. The reason the redemptions are selling so low is because people realize they will not be filled.

If this card were live its an easy 250-300. The guy is a good pitching prospect.

You cant compare his chrome values to platinum values. That would be a ratio in favor of chrome.

Id say get in touch with them and hold out for a better suited replacement unless your happy with the Mauer.

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Paxton signed his Bowman Platinum redemptions. Just putting that out there.

I am willing to say that a Paxton red auto /5 is gonna sell for more then 150. Fair market value should be around 300.

Anyone can look at the redemption values right now and disagree with me. The reason the redemptions are selling so low is because people realize they will not be filled.

If this card were live its an easy 250-300. The guy is a good pitching prospect.

You cant compare his chrome values to platinum values. That would be a ration in favor of chrome.

Id say get in touch with them and hold out for a better suited replacement unless your happy with the Mauer.
x100000000. People saying that this is an equal or good replacement are misunderstanding who Paxton is. People aren't paying for his autos anymore because they know they won't receive them. If this was live its worth much more than 120-150.

Just send it back with a letter saying its junk and see what happens.

Members online

Latest posts