Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Upper Echelon - Free to a good home, but you must pay it forward - Read Post #1 FIRST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I really wanted to keep this baseball related, but I seem to be in the minority on this, so open it up to free range I guess for all sports. I certainly won't stand in the way of what you'd all prefer!

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I really wanted to keep this baseball related, but I seem to be in the minority on this, so open it up to free range I guess for all sports. I certainly won't stand in the way of what you'd all prefer!

it may actually help get more action going and may even increase some baseball cards too, if a football guy see's a nice football card they like they may put up a nice baseball card in return ???

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Seems this runs in spurts. Haven't checked in for a while but had 15 pages to catch up on. Nice to see it still going.. Somewhat anyway. Taking off for a couple days or I'd post something up. Be back Thursday, I'll do it then. Hope everyone's doing well

Sent from my iPhone

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I think the problem may be that the first wave of people who participated did so simply to offer up some good cards they did not need or want, without any real need to 'keep score' or reservation of claims. But after the initial offering(s) went, they are probably now waiting to let people who claimed to offer things up and simply keeping an eye out for things they might want. The whole 'you need to offer up something first before participating' and the past score keeping/monitoring, I believe, have made this thread undesirable to those who otherwise would potentially have joined in.

I gave away my offering because it was a nice card I simply did not want or need, and knew someone here would want it. This, to me, should be the motto of the thread. Once it became a monitored 'trade' page, it lost all credibility for me. I loved the idea of simply posting up good stuff to give away, for no other reason then to put some nice cards in others hands. I could care less if they were new, or old. Post count be damned. I just wanted to pay it forward.

If this thread ever actually turns back (or really becomes) a 'FREE to a good home' thread, I may once again begin to give some stuff away. But as it is I no longer have the desire to do so knowing it is being monitored for participation criteria. I think we are all smart enough to see if someone is simply joining to get free stuff, or habitually abusing the potential generosity. But other than that, why micro-manage? Let the love (and cards) fly!

Just my 2...

These are the only 2 rules I could see worth while.

1. You must be a known/active member here at FCB to participate.

2. The one offering up the card(s) can stipulate whatever they want.

Last edited:

A_Pharis

I think the problem may be that the first wave of people who participated did so simply to offer up some good cards they did not need or want, without any real need to 'keep score' or reservation of claims. But after the initial offering(s) went, they are probably now waiting to let people who claimed to offer things up and simply keeping an eye out for things they might want. The whole 'you need to offer up something first before participating' and the past score keeping/monitoring, I believe, have made this thread undesirable to those who otherwise would potentially have joined in.

I gave away my offering because it was a nice card I simply did not want or need, and knew someone here would want it. This, to me, should be the motto of the thread. Once it became a monitored 'trade' page, it lost all credibility for me. I loved the idea of simply posting up good stuff to give away, for no other reason then to put some nice cards in others hands. I could care less if they were new, or old. Post count be damned. I just wanted to pay it forward.

If this thread ever actually turns back (or really becomes) a 'FREE to a good home' thread, I may once again begin to give some stuff away. But as it is I no longer have the desire to do so knowing it is being monitored for participation criteria. I think we are all smart enough to see if someone is simply joining to get free stuff, or habitually abusing the potential generosity. But other than that, why micro-manage? Let the love (and cards) fly!

Just my 2...

A high end "Free to a good home" thread would last under 2 pages. That's why this is a Pay It Forward thread. Yes, it's about giving up "nice" stuff that you don't want, but what we DON'T need are people hawking a thread for no-ties free items. If you have something high end you just want to GIVE away then you may want to check the Player Collector or Team Collector groups.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
A high end "Free to a good home" thread would last under 2 pages. That's why this is a Pay It Forward thread. Yes, it's about giving up "nice" stuff that you don't want, but what we DON'T need are people hawking a thread for no-ties free items. If you have something high end you just want to GIVE away then you may want to check the Player Collector or Team Collector groups.

Just to be clear, I was simply pointing out why my participation in this thread ended and perhaps why others are not joining in. Having said that, continue to run/monitor it as you see fit.

A_Pharis

Ok, that sounded a bit harsh reading it back.

You're free to just "give" anything you want away here. "+ balances" don't really matter. The problem with a "high end PURE freebie" thread is that you have people who will just jump in to claim anything, even if they don't need it, simply because it's "high end".
Requiring it the be paid forward is a way of making sure the person who is claiming "needs" what they are claiming to the point that they are wiling to give something up.

I mean, I love the Nomar Sweet Spot, but I just don't want/need it bad enough to give up something from my PC. That's why I don't claim it.

A_Pharis

Just to be clear, I was simply pointing out why my participation in this thread ended and perhaps why others are not joining in. Having said that, continue to run/monitor it as you see fit.

And I understand that, but the concerns of givers have been spoken to me. So I let this be community ran, but the regulations are evidence of why it couldn't be like you'd like.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just to be clear, the + and - "score keeping" boat sailed a LONG time ago :lol: I don't have enough time to go back and try and find when the last time that was even posted.

Anyways, thanks for participating. I too am donating one of my +'s to the thread (along with one for the item) when my item arrives from Musial Collector.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal

Just my 2...

These are the only 2 rules I could see worth while.

1. You must be a known/active member here at FCB to participate.

2. The one offering up the card(s) can stipulate whatever they want.

you can always put items you want to give away in the free to good home low end, even if its a higher end item if your feeling generous.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
you can always put items you want to give away in the free to good home low end, even if its a higher end item if your feeling generous.
Good point. Some people have given away nicer stuff in there for free... especially when we did the promo to get the thread going. I know I gave away and item that might of qualified here.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Good point. Some people have given away nicer stuff in there for free... especially when we did the promo to get the thread going. I know I gave away and item that might of qualified here.

Ive gotten some really nice stuff myself from the low end thread
Brooks Robinson auto
Orlando Cepeda leaf auto
1961 Babe Ruth

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Well then. I guess I can remove my stats from my sig. :D

I couldn't care less if we keep/do away with the stats. I would certainly hope that it runs smoothly from here on out. I should have another card or two to post later this week.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
Hey folks! Picked up some new stuff, will post some cards here soon, got a new belle, mcgriff, and some other stuff that don't blend in, will keep you posted

Looking for Alex Rodriguez Cards, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts