Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USPS rates higher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
magicpapa said:
prospectorgems said:
bigalbert said:
ebay shipping rates compared to post office rates 3oz-
Post Office Price: $1.71 + $0.80 for Delivery Confirmation™ = $2.51
eBay and PayPal Label price: $1.56 + $0.19 for Delivery Confirmation™ = $1.75

You beat me to it. Why anyone would not ship through paypal is beyond me.
i have never shipped via paypal

That's probably because your post office is easy to get to or you have time to actually go to the post office. I guess I was referencing more towards it being cheaper and the ease of use instead of having to take time out of your day to actually go.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
phillyfan0417 said:
bowmanchromeandorr said:
rico08 said:
eBay still wants you to ship for free.

ebay can kiss my ass, yes i know that was a classy statement but i dont really care

Do you use it?

If you do, your statement makes little sense.

i use ebay and i sell/trade with my local shop. i dont agree with ebay "forcing "" the free shipping angle. i still charge 2$ flat 2$ flat fee for shipping and no one has ******* yet about it. its just becoming a communistic site *with ebay being the government entity)as far as regulating the fees, etc.

and jsut everyone knows i am not calling our federal governemtn communist just wanted to say that before all the BS hits when peoplke mis-read what i just typed

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
USPS is giving nice discounts for those using online services. I use Pitney Bowes Shipstream for my business and get a certain amount of discounts. Pretty nice.

G

Here's some advice. Take all those cards that are worth under $40. You know the ones that nobody wants? Put them in a big box and send them off to CheckOutMyCards. Then they'll deal with your crap cards and you can all stop complaining.

All this nonsense about $2, $3, $5. What is wrong with you people? I know the economy is hurting, but maybe you shouldn't be buying baseball cards in the first place if these small, insignificant sums of money phase you.

And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
prospectorgems said:
magicpapa said:
prospectorgems said:
bigalbert said:
ebay shipping rates compared to post office rates 3oz-
Post Office Price: $1.71 + $0.80 for Delivery Confirmation™ = $2.51
eBay and PayPal Label price: $1.56 + $0.19 for Delivery Confirmation™ = $1.75

You beat me to it. Why anyone would not ship through paypal is beyond me.
i have never shipped via paypal

That's probably because your post office is easy to get to or you have time to actually go to the post office. I guess I was referencing more towards it being cheaper and the ease of use instead of having to take time out of your day to actually go.
yes the PO is pretty close, and when id send lots of packages out it would be on a sat. so i guess for me it was easier that way

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Chris Levy said:
And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

Chris I like you, but this is downright stupid

G

JoshHamilton said:
Chris Levy said:

You gotta pay to play.

Josh. This is the #1 thing killing the hobby. In the 1990s collectors had no choice but to turn their cards over to dealers who'd then sell them. Now the internet makes every kid with a card think he can be a dealer and it's cut out the middle man. It's ruining the hobby.

It takes a lot to be a seller. Not just an eBay account. Everything eBay does to make it harder for the little guys is good for the hobby in my opinion, because the big guys need the edge back. And the whales are good for the hobby, the fish aren't.

BoyWonder089

Jul 14, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Arent the fish the eventual whales? Or is this only a hobby for people that can toss money around like you?

Chris Levy said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="Chris Levy":2dryaouj]And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

Josh. This is the #1 thing killing the hobby. In the 1990s collectors had no choice but to turn their cards over to dealers who'd then sell them. Now the internet makes every kid with a card think he can be a dealer and it's cut out the middle man. It's ruining the hobby.

It takes a lot to be a seller. Not just an eBay account. Everything eBay does to make it harder for the little guys is good for the hobby in my opinion, because the big guys need the edge back. And the whales are good for the hobby, the fish aren't.[/quote:2dryaouj]

G

BoyWonder089 said:
Arent the fish the eventual whales? Or is this only a hobby for people that can toss money around like you?

Chris Levy said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="Chris Levy":ustpcmnj]And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

It takes a lot to be a seller. Not just an eBay account. Everything eBay does to make it harder for the little guys is good for the hobby in my opinion, because the big guys need the edge back. And the whales are good for the hobby, the fish aren't.
[/quote:ustpcmnj]

There are big time sellers, and big time buyers. Everyone else is just in the way.

BoyWonder089

Jul 14, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
TBTwinsFan said:
aminors said:
TBTwinsFan said:
Look at the positives. They aren't raising the cost of stamps.

They need to.

I am not posting this out of ignorance, but what would be the benefits?

I suppose they would make a bigger profit, or the same profit since their quantity goes down.

In that type of business, just because they raise the price doesn't necessarily mean that their quantity will go down enough to have the same profit. There will still be a very similar demand due to a relatively small change in price.

BoyWonder089

Jul 14, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Chris Levy said:
BoyWonder089 said:

[quote="Chris Levy":2i8wcwr2]
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="Chris Levy":2i8wcwr2]And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

[/quote:2i8wcwr2]

There are big time sellers, and big time buyers. Everyone else is just in the way.[/quote:2i8wcwr2]

I agree with you that the so called whale are good for the hobby, after all big money flow is what keeps things moving an economy. However, to say everyone else is just in the way is a bunch of bs. What are they getting in the way of? are you not able to acquire your high end cards because of the little people? Or is it just that you dont like the complaining you hear from them about stuff like shipping costs?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Chris Levy said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="Chris Levy":2ncg768d]And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

It takes a lot to be a seller. Not just an eBay account. Everything eBay does to make it harder for the little guys is good for the hobby in my opinion, because the big guys need the edge back. And the whales are good for the hobby, the fish aren't.[/quote:2ncg768d]

Wow.

So you think Mike Wentz has more of a "right" to sell his N162 Anson SGC 60 than I have right to sell my N162 Anson SGC 60? I bought mine for $4800 in 2008. If I want to sell it, I goddamned will. And thanks to eBay, I don't have to sell through some greedy big time dealer who will charge 35% commission and make $1800 for free.

Again. WOW. I'll leave it at that

G

BoyWonder089 said:
Chris Levy said:
BoyWonder089 said:

[quote="Chris Levy":2g5q4txo]
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="Chris Levy":2g5q4txo]And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

There are big time sellers, and big time buyers. Everyone else is just in the way.[/quote:2g5q4txo]

I agree with you that the so called whale are good for the hobby, after all big money flow is what keeps things moving an economy. However, to say everyone else is just in the way is a bunch of bs. What are they getting in the way of? are you not able to acquire your high end cards because of the little people? Or is it just that you dont like the complaining you hear from them about stuff like shipping costs?[/quote:2g5q4txo]

I think anyone complaining about shipping costs is ridiculous. I don't like people nickle and diming, whether it's about baseball cards, or anything else.

If you're selling $5, $10, or $20 cards all the time where 'eating' the cost of shipping hurts your bottom line ... then it's definately time to rethink the whole being a part-time dealer notion. There are sites like CheckOutMyCards that'll sell these low value cards for you, and you only have to ship once.

When I win an item in a real auction (off eBay) I often pay about $20 shipping. I don't complain. I pay it. Because $20 doesn't matter. So when I see a bunch of kids playing ameteur hour thinking they're dealers selling low value cards, and then have the nerve to complain about a twent cent postal increase ... it irritates the Hell out of me. It doesn't belong.

If you want to sell, then you have to deal with the cost of shipping. If you want to have a little online business for cards, then you need to be a grown up. Grown ups don't complain about postal increases. It's ridiculous.

ronzo

Sep 8, 2008
Stroudsburg, PA
Yes, because everyone selling thinks they're a dealer. Nobody selling on eBay is just doing it to sell off excess items they don't need.

::facepalm::

G

JoshHamilton said:
Chris Levy said:
JoshHamilton said:
[quote="Chris Levy":3cl0lfb3]And as for anti-eBay comments? I support what they're doing to push Free shipping. I support what they're doing with DSRs too. Just having a box of cards and an eBay account doesn't make you a card dealer. It's time to squash the little guys and give the big guys the edge, like it was 15 years ago before every nut online thought he could become a dealer.

You gotta pay to play.

Wow.

So you think Mike Wentz has more of a "right" to sell his N162 Anson SGC 60 than I have right to sell my N162 Anson SGC 60? I bought mine for $4800 in 2008. If I want to sell it, I goddamned will. And thanks to eBay, I don't have to sell through some greedy big time dealer who will charge 35% commission and make $1800 for free.

Again. WOW. I'll leave it at that[/quote:3cl0lfb3]

I'm not saying people don't have more, or less, of a right to sell cards. What I'm saying is, when someone decides, "Hey. I'm going to sell cards on eBay." It means they need to grow up and stop complaining about things like postal increases. It's the cost of doing business.

But, for the longterm health of the hobby ... the industry needs strong dealers. If all the dealers go under, and it's just a bunch of people buying and selling to one another on eBay ... that just won't work.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Because $20 doesn't matter.

Guess what? Not everyone has the bank roll you apparently have.

Eating $3 for shipping, or even $1 for shipping, adds up quick. For comparison, I quit smoking last year. Put away the $6 a day I was spending on cigs and saved it. Used the savings to go to Disney World for a week in December.

Don't you dare tell me small amounts of money are inconsequential

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
I mostly agree what Chris is trying to say, but I'm not as harsh about it.

Edit... I should say that I agree with postal increases being part of being in business. As a seller one needs to adjust to the inflation.

I also believe that if you sell on ebay you should have to have a sellers permit and pay taxes for sales.

Members online

Latest posts