Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I'm more than positive the Gehrig is real. It has a twin in my collection. I have #4 /5. :)

That's great that all the ones numbered are an air hole. I've seen a bunch (Maris, Thorpe, Williams, DiMaggio, etc.) just thrown in with random jersey pieces I love how they made a low numbered variation for a Gehrig airhole. Hadn't seen that before very nice!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I agree the gehrig is legit. I can't see the musial getting 800? But I really have no idea ha

I think you may be surprised on this one, I could comfortably see it even getting more than $800 it's really the perfect storm for it to go for a crazy price it's an iconic and rare set of a HIGHLY collectable player and the patch is nasty. I think it should go very high

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I think you may be surprised on this one, I could comfortably see it even getting more than $800 it's really the perfect storm for it to go for a crazy price it's an iconic and rare set of a HIGHLY collectable player and the patch is nasty. I think it should go very high

I could easily be suprised. I'm not very good at guessing value anyway. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking lower because I might bid haha. I know if it goes over 800 I can't see myself bidding on it.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
As promised sorry it took to long
image.jpg

IMG_0005_zpslyxuwlud.jpg

Last edited:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I could easily be suprised. I'm not very good at guessing value anyway. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking lower because I might bid haha. I know if it goes over 800 I can't see myself bidding on it.

I agree I wouldn't go near that price either I think this is either a card for a big Cardinals HOF collector or Musial player collector or a FOTG enthusiest. These get a bigger premium than other Musial patch autos but we will see I could be wrong - it's like the Killebrew for you I think there's someone out there who will want the Musial that badly. We'll see very interesting auction if nothing else

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I agree I wouldn't go near that price either I think this is either a card for a big Cardinals HOF collector or Musial player collector or a FOTG enthusiest. These get a bigger premium than other Musial patch autos but we will see I could be wrong - it's like the Killebrew for you I think there's someone out there who will want the Musial that badly. We'll see very interesting auction if nothing else

Very good point! I buying the killebrew basically regardless of price. Sane for musial could happen

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Was curious to know what people thought on this:

As has been discussed in this thread, in 2008 Donruss Celebrity Cuts there are Gehrig patches that came from 1939 jersey that included the baseball centennial patch. The cards that include pieces from the patch are far more colorful than "standard" Gehrig patches as the Yankee jersey has always been kind of plain.

The question I had was, a part of me favors a regular number or Yankee logo patch with the flannel grey material and blue patch over the more interesting and colorful patch because the former is immediately recognizable as an old Yankee jersey, while the centennial patch is something is not something that most people remember to identify with either the Yankees or Gehrig. I've been thinking of going after a centennial patch card but have had mixed feelings on it and was wondering what people thought? Thanks

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

As has been discussed in this thread, in 2008 Donruss Celebrity Cuts there are Gehrig patches that came from 1939 jersey that included the baseball centennial patch. The cards that include pieces from the patch are far more colorful than "standard" Gehrig patches as the Yankee jersey has always been kind of plain.

The question I had was, a part of me favors a regular number or Yankee logo patch with the flannel grey material and blue patch over the more interesting and colorful patch because the former is immediately recognizable as an old Yankee jersey, while the centennial patch is something is not something that most people remember to identify with either the Yankees or Gehrig. I've been thinking of going after a centennial patch card but have had mixed feelings on it and was wondering what people thought? Thanks

That was fast... looks like someone else jumped on it, so question is now theoretical lol

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa

I agree reed that if I only had one gehrig patch I want it to be the blue felt number or letter patch. They are just iconic. Since I own a few felt gehrig patches and I know the history and know the jersey is most likely legit I will never part with my centennial gehrig patch. It's just too cool! Sleeve patch from 80 year old Gehrig jersey is incredibly rare. But the felt patches are better in my oponion.

looks like card sold for 1400. I paid 1200 for mine which looks similiAr a few months ago.

good stuff :)

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
For me for some reason I just dont like them. I wouldnt lay anything close to what they are going for.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I love the patches on the card but I just don't like the card design. If the patches were on an older licensed product like donruss or even current topps, regardless of no jersey showing it would be a 2000-3000 dollar card. I was also trying to land it but he wanted too much for it. Like Joe I dint want to pay more than 1000-1100.
With that said I would love to make a custom with those patches.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Like everyone has said I prefer the plain vanilla blue and grey wool Gehrig patch - if I had a couple and didn't know what to buy I'd also love to get a sleeve patch. As Tony said, it would be REALLY cool to make a custom, but at the same time it would be pretty worthless after you took apart that card I wouldn't do it not only for the sake of wasting money but also as a collector and hobby enthusiast I wouldn't want to destory a valuable and rare card for a custom project. If you've got the funds and aren't sure what to get, I would definitely go after it to be honest.

Members online

Latest posts