Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Well I guess my index card collection is over for good.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Today I went to try to get Latroy Hawkins to sign a few autographs.I had my team helmet and a few index cards.I was going to get me the helmet signed and the index cards would be for me, a cousin and Therion here on the boards.But apparently he is against the index card thing too.

I wasn't too happy.I think I am going to stop trying the index card thing.I got him to sign my team helmet and as he was doing it I asked him if he would mind signing a few index cards.There were a lot of other people getting multiple things signed so I knew that would not be a problem which would have been good.He flatly said no.So I said okay and put them back in my bag without making any kind of problem over it and as I did he looks me in the eye and with the biggest jerk attitude I have heard in a while asks me "Why do you need to get an index card signed?".So many responses ran through my mind but the only thing I could think of to say was the polite version of what was going through my head"I don't have anything else for you to sign.".It may have to do with the fact he doesn't have a slew of cards floating around out there or it could have to do with the fact that I didn't have money to go buy anything else to get signed.It could also be I didn't expect him to be a jerk either.

Its not even his tone of voice that pissed me off as much as it was the question and the follow up comment.He told me he would even sign notebook paper but not an index card.He just said sorry(with sarcasm in his voice) and I just shrugged and walked away.I don't have time to argue with him.

From now on if an athlete questions me on how many autos I am getting(keep in mind its usually one or two and in very rare cases three but if I get extras they usually are given away to people who wanted them) or what I am getting signed I am not only going to snatch my stuff back before they can finish the signature but I am going to tell them what a jerk they are being.I am not sure exactly to a science why they won't sign certain things but I am not going to be looked at like scum.And that is the look he gave me.Like I was pure crap.I also don't like how they think you are a dealer.Hey...if you are going to be a dick about it give me my item back and go piss off.I am not going to waste my time arguing with a prima donna over paid buffoon.Anything you are afraid of me being able to do with your auto on an index card can just as easily be done on any other item I get you to sign whether it be a jersey or a football or a poster or a card or a ball or helmet.

In any case I don't expect to be grilled on why I want something signed like its a 60 minutes interview.He was dead serious like he was catching me doing something horribly wrong.Seriously...I waste my time and gas to get that?If you don't want to sign something that is just going to have to be the way it is but you don't have to act like that.I am not going to explain myself either.Hey...I waited in line for your autograph.Have a little respect.

Oh and by the way...just so everyone knows how I feel about this so we don't get a flame war going...I don't expect a lot from any athlete.I really don't.You can either sign or not sign.Its your choice.RU4SCUBA brought up a really good point when I first joined the BMB about not getting mad at people because they won't sign.They don't owe you that.I understand that.But they do owe you the same respect that every person deserves.I have met a lot of athletes over the last couple of years but never one as rude as this.And my story may sound kinda dumb or like it wasn't that big of a deal but I can pretty much assure you any self respecting adult would have had a problem with the way he talked, his tone, and what he said.It may just be one of those types of things where you had to be there but in any case...I was there and I didn't much care for it.
Rant over.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
You're an idiot. Celebrities don't like to sign index cards because it can more easily lead to identity theft than signing a helmet.
The guy is sitting there signing autographs and you're bitter. Some people are unbelievable.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
KandKCards said:
You're an idiot. Celebrities don't like to sign index cards because it can more easily lead to identity theft than signing a helmet.
The guy is sitting there signing autographs and you're bitter. Some people are unbelievable.

That's definitely the thought process. But, the next time someone shows me a celebrity who was the victim of identity theft due to a signed index card will be the first time.

Alex

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
KandKCards said:

Hey he said no and I was okay with that.He was the one who wanted to be an ass.Or did you not understand what I wrote.People's reading comprehension never fails to surprise me.

I am aggravated because of what he said and his manner towards me.Clear enough.

Oh and by the way...trust me...there are ways to get an auto off of anything.Besides...identity theft through a signature is not as easy as you think it is.My wife works ata bank.They check a lot more than your signature.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
One other thought...I don't really care for the "well the athlete is signing for you" card either.Hey...I waited there longer than he was even there and in the hot sun to boot.Am I upset because I had to do it?No.But that door swings both ways so as far as I am concerned it doesn't mean jack to me.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Why didnt you tell him he is a jerk then instead of later on? He obviously has a problem with index cards and I fail to see how he was an ass to you besides your assumptions and saying he looked at you weird.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
nyc3 said:
Why didnt you tell him he is a jerk then instead of later on? He obviously has a problem with index cards and I fail to see how he was an ass to you besides your assumptions and saying he looked at you weird.

The best way I can explain how he acted was like when you get caught doing something bad and someone calls you on it.That was exactly how he acted.It was a very smart ass tone.I mean...its hard to convey it properly through words.It was more than clear as to what he was saying and asking.

I usually try to always not cause a problem.There were people behind me and who am I to screw up their chance of getting an auto or making them wait longer to get one?I wouldn't appreciate it if the guy in front of me made a scene so I try to be just as courteous.People are there for the auto.Not to listen to your argue with the athlete.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If I TRULY felt disrespected, I would have said what's on my mind, wrinkled up an item I had of him and threw it on the ground at his feet and embarrassed him in front of all those people.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
You should have just said "Because your a crappy middle reliever and I don't want to waste any more money on your cards, jerseys, or photos."

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
If I TRULY felt disrespected, I would have said what's on my mind, wrinkled up an item I had of him and threw it on the ground at his feet and embarrassed him in front of all those people.

Dude...trust me I wanted to.I just figured why F it up for everyone else.What if he gets nuts and wants to leave?I don't want to screw other people out of the autographs.There were also a lot of kids there.Not a good place for colorful language and once the gates open you might as well build an ark.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
You should have just said "Because your a crappy middle reliever and I don't want to waste any more money on your cards, jerseys, or photos."

Well you guessed one of my thoughts.I was actually going to see if he would write "2009 World Baseball Classic " on the cards but to no avail.

It was funny though...I mean...there isn't exactly a plethora of Latroy Hawkins items out there.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
If you just want an index card signed, why not used the lined ones? It would be just like signing a lined sheet of paper. It may not fit into your collection because it is lined. But at least it would be the same style, an index card, as the rest of the autos you try to collect.

autocut

Ok, here is my point of view. I've been collecting autographs since 1988. The athlete/celebrity are doing you a favor by signing as most of the stuff that gets signed ends up being sold. If I was a celebrity and someone brought me multiple index cards, I would assume they will be selling them, using them as references to practice forgeries, etc. Just because they won't sign certain items don't make them jerks. Things have changed since I first started. Autograph seekers are not polite for the most part and most of the time don't even say thank you anymoe after getting an autograph.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
predatorkj said:
One other thought...I don't really care for the "well the athlete is signing for you" card either.Hey...I waited there longer than he was even there and in the hot sun to boot.Am I upset because I had to do it?No.But that door swings both ways so as far as I am concerned it doesn't mean jack to me.

Hey Pred, it does sound like he may have been a bit paranoid but I honestly don't think "the door swings both ways" in this instance. He was nice enough to sign for you, it's not like he is there gaining anything by signing auto's (unless of course you paid him, in which you didn't mention that) so I don't see what your point was by implying that you had to wait there in the hot sun; as that really is irrelevant since you are doing something in which you are the one that is receiving all of the gain (as opposed to LaTroy who wasn't receiving a thing for being courteous enough to take time out of his day- in the hot sun no less- to sign for a bunch of individual's). See what I'm saying? :D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
i43770 said:
If you just want an index card signed, why not used the lined ones? It would be just like signing a lined sheet of paper. It may not fit into your collection because it is lined. But at least it would be the same style, an index card, as the rest of the autos you try to collect.

Actually I do...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
autocut said:
Ok, here is my point of view. I've been collecting autographs since 1988. The athlete/celebrity are doing you a favor by signing as most of the stuff that gets signed ends up being sold. If I was a celebrity and someone brought me multiple index cards, I would assume they will be selling them, using them as references to practice forgeries, etc. Just because they won't sign certain items don't make them jerks. Things have changed since I first started. Autograph seekers are not polite for the most part and most of the time don't even say thank you anymoe after getting an autograph.

I understand that and I am always polite and always say thank you and will even offer a handshake but as far as them doing me a favor...that becomes negated whenever I have to go out of my way.In my mind nobody did me any favors.Not today.When I am at a stadium or something I see that as a favor but when they have a contractual obligation to make an appearance ...well they are just following orders.I think they forget gas and items and things of that nature are not free.I went out of my way to meet them.Not the other way around.

As for the items being sold bit...I know myself and quite a few people who don't sell not one item of their collection.I think they would do good to remember not everyone is a dealer.If they automatically have that attitude then hey...I can't work with that.

autocut

predatorkj said:
autocut said:

I understand that and I am always polite and always say thank you and will even offer a handshake but as far as them doing me a favor...that becomes negated whenever I have to go out of my way.In my mind nobody did me any favors.Not today.When I am at a stadium or something I see that as a favor but when they have a contractual obligation to make an appearance ...well they are just following orders.I think they forget gas and items and things of that nature are not free.I went out of my way to meet them.Not the other way around.

As for the items being sold bit...I know myself and quite a few people who don't sell not one item of their collection.I think they would do good to remember not everyone is a dealer.If they automatically have that attitude then hey...I can't work with that.

Their "contractual obligation" is to perform on the field. Nowhere in their contract does it says they have to sign autographs. People go to sporting events for family entertainment.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
predatorkj said:

Hey Pred, it does sound like he may have been a bit paranoid but I honestly don't think "the door swings both ways" in this instance. He was nice enough to sign for you, it's not like he is there gaining anything by signing auto's (unless of course you paid him, in which you didn't mention that) so I don't see what your point was by implying that you had to wait there in the hot sun; as that really is irrelevant since you are doing something in which you are the one that is receiving all of the gain (as opposed to LaTroy who wasn't receiving a thing for being courteous enough to take time out of his day- in the hot sun no less- to sign for a bunch of individual's). See what I'm saying? :D

So its your impression these guys just hop out of bed and decide to go sign?Not likely.

Oh...and the sun doesn't bother me.I am from Texas man.But...I just think that they don't realize it takes a dedicated fan to do things like that.You'll never make your money back if you are trying to sell things.Anyone check out his autos on ebay?Is there a chance to make money on them?Or on a lot of other guys I have gotten like Bourn or even Berkman or Pence?If you go get these top guys you have to spend money on items and on gas(in my case a lot of gas since I seem to live in BFE) and in some cases like Berkman or Pence you stand in line for at the very least 4 hours or you most likely won't be able to get an auto.

But from a business standpoint it would never make any sense.I don't see how people would think it does.Do people do it?Yep.But it doesn't mean it makes you any profit.Also...index cards are not a big seller.Maybe for a dead HOF'er or a big time movie star.Maybe.But Latroy Hawkins?

Members online

No members online now.