Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Went to my first show in almost two years today, and I still got it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Even before Covid, I barely got to any shows; I work Saturdays, and my wife and I both had Sundays off, so we always spent the day together. She has a new job and works Sundays now, so I don't feel bad about going. The 2nd Sunday in every month is the Rhode Island card show, or whatever it's called. Used to be the 1st Thursday night every month, but the promoter passed away years ago, and his son ran it into the ground. So it's back now, and today was my first time.

It was competing against the Dedham MA show (formerly Mansfield, AKA the good show) and another RI show that was apparently a disaster. This show wasn't much better, with lots of overpriced blasters, $5 boxes as the "bargain" boxes, and showcases full of stuff that's already trending down (multiple people came in, paid their admission, walked around the room once, and walked out). I only bought from three tables; not coincidently, they were the three dealers with 50¢ and 3/$1 boxes. It's good to know there are still hidden finds out there; if my Sportlots sales are any indication, people have been latching on to some weird items as the potential next big thing. But anyone who knew their ****, and was poking through that 3/$1 would have grabbed this, like I did. No idea what this would go for, but it keeps my streak of great dumpster dive finds alive!

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_0001.jpg
    IMG_20210711_0001.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 62
Jul 22, 2016
A literal score.
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
What a great card! I think the Mansfield show was the last show I went to. That was probably about 4-5 years now, got beaten up rookies of Ozzie and Rickey last time around for about $15 total if I remember, it was a good room that day

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
I was AT that show yesterday. I passed over that Nomo card at around 10am but distinctly remember it in the 3 for $1 box! nice pull!

I scored these 2 Clemens inserts out of that box. Also did okay in his $2 or 6 for $10 box! Agree, most other stuff was overpriced, but I did grab about 8 clemens cards I didnt have (thats a HUGE day for me, I so often find none), and I sold some older stuff to a guy I bought the other handful of Clemens cards from. Even made a small profit selling to a dealer :). I cant get in on the gambling of high priced GM 10 rookis and propspects mania graded stuff, so I walk right by.

Have to agree, if you dont have a $1, $2, or similar box for me to look though, I don't stop at your table usually. Not a fan of the guys with boxes to look thorugh, but then everything is "ASK" so they can go on eBay and ask the highest sale they can find as the price for an obscure insert nobody cared about till I pulled out.

Went to the Coventry ( oldCranston Sports Card) show the day before. Bought 2 cards I didnt have. Lots of good vintage stuff there, but overall a downer of a show. Feels like the promoters are just out of touch with the "now". Nice folks, but older generation. I can see the disconnect with younger folks (I'm in my 40s). Seems like allthe Modern guys dont want to associate with Vintage guys, and vice versa. People at COventry complaining "Too much Vintage" all day... people at Sunday show complaining as I walked around "Too much Modern!". Nobody's ever happy lol!

Attachments

• 20210712_150514.jpg
    20210712_150514.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Admission! Ugg! I am not sure I will ever be able to pay another admission to get into a card show unless I get something for that money, like a raffle, door prize, free signature from a guest, promo or something.

Do typical swap meets charge admission? I am genuinely asking, because I've never been to one, but I have a hard time with the concept of charging someone to come in and buy stuff from you! Especially in the online world of today.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The previous promoter of this show passed away several years ago, and his son took over. The last time I went, when it was a Thursday night show, was probably in 2015. They were giving out sealed junk wax boxes with admission. When I got home with my free 1990 Donruss box, I tore open the plastic wrap and found out it has been opened, searched, then resealed. But, it was free!

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
yeah, this show died a slow death at the hands of that kid who took it over from his dad. It was never the best around, but it got pretty bad at the end. RI has always been kind of tough for shows. Mansfield was nice. I might go to Dedham next month, just because its bigger and I like looking through "Frenchy's" boxes in the front hallway and the diversity of all eras of cards. Wish it wasnt further up the highway though.

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
yeah, this show died a slow death at the hands of that kid who took it over from his dad. It was never the best around, but it got pretty bad at the end. RI has always been kind of tough for shows. Mansfield was nice. I might go to Dedham next month, just because its bigger and I like looking through "Frenchy's" boxes in the front hallway and the diversity of all eras of cards. Wish it wasnt further up the highway though.

I ended up getting a fake patch from a dealer there several years ago, and when I brought it up to the old promoter at the next show, he looked very surprised, and said "that's funny, he doesn't do many fake patches." I never knew the dealer's name, but he set up there for a few years afterwards.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Admission! Ugg! I am not sure I will ever be able to pay another admission to get into a card show unless I get something for that money, like a raffle, door prize, free signature from a guest, promo or something.

Do typical swap meets charge admission? I am genuinely asking, because I've never been to one, but I have a hard time with the concept of charging someone to come in and buy stuff from you! Especially in the online world of today.
There are a few card shows up in your area.. I think they have been using the Auburn Mall for the shows lately..

Here are some links that you might like..

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I hit up the WSSCA show a couple years and even paid the admission. I rarely found much that I wanted/needed. Its a small show though and my tastes are pretty focused and on the low end spectrum.

Auburn is too far for a show now, actually shows really don't have much of a draw for me. if one was close, free and worked out to be a time I was free, I might go, but I might not.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
There are a few card shows up in your area.. I think they have been using the Auburn Mall for the s

I hit up the WSSCA show a couple years and even paid the admission. I rarely found much that I wanted/needed. Its a small show though and my tastes are pretty focused and on the low end spectrum.

Auburn is too far for a show now, actually shows really don't have much of a draw for me. if one was close, free and worked out to be a time I was free, I might go, but I might not.

From the 2nd link..

July 31 & Aug 1

Everett Mall in Everett​

Show will be located between Center Court and the North End of the Mall. Park and come through the rear entrance by the freeway.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010

From the 2nd link..​

July 31 & Aug 1​

Everett Mall in Everett​

Show will be located between Center Court and the North End of the Mall. Park and come through the rear entrance by the freeway.
Hmmm, that may be close enough to actually check out. Thank you for pressing on as I excused it.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Auburn is too far for a show now, actually shows really don't have much of a draw for me.

COMC sets up a hiring booth there if you want to go tell them how sucky they are, ha. As far as the kind of stuff you've shown off on here, I didn't see much like that at the last show in Auburn...at least less than I have seen at the WSSCA show when I've gone in past years.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I've moved my anger on to the USPS for now. When I go to ship this next batch, that may be a different story.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010

I get some people's reluctance totally but as I've noted on other boards there are some logical reasons to have admission charges.

1) Yes it helps defray even to a minor extent the cost of the room. I did do door prizes at most of my shows (usually some shopping sprees) but that was OK because it made more money for the dealers in the room. I did for those with significant others/kids the option of free or pay admission for the door prize chance. Everyone always was fine with those options.

2) It makes people feel they have some "skin" in the game. I have found as a dealer/promoter when you don't have admission, people tend to spend less money. And I did every December show I ever ran as a free admission thank you show so I actually have data behind me on that front.

3) This is something I never had to use but wanted to keep that in my hip pocket. If I don't charge admission the show is considered a public event and everyone must be let in but if I charged admission I could tell this person (assuming they end being convicted) they can not enter

Regards
Rich

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Went back to the same show again today, grabbed six A&G Mini EXTs out of the same dealer's 5/$1 box. 2008 and 2009 Albert Pujols, 2013 Willie Mays, 2009 Alex Rodriguez, 2010 Chipper Jones, and 2009 Max Scherzer.

Seven, actually, forgot about the 2013 David Ortiz!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts