Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you think...A "taken too soon" tournament? - Need your ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I was so saddened by the news from Miami, but I didn't really know how to express it. From Jose back to Roberto (and probably beyond) so many young men left this world too soon.

What do you think of a (very respectful, obviously) "Taken too soon" tournament. I know have a few cards I can show to help remember these young men, how about you?

If enough people are in, I will arrange it. If not, no worries.

Last edited:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I like it because I'm sure people will be able to remind us of someone we've forgot. Maybe some stories can be shared and it'll be more of a remembrance than a tournament

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
My nominee:

shopping

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/fifty-years-later-ken-hubbs-memory-continues-to-glow-021314

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I used to have a small collection of last cards of players who died while their careers were in progress. Hubbs, Clemente, Munson, etc. I still have all those cards, just not grouped together anymore. Could add Adenhart, Taveras, Fernandez, surely others I can't recall at the moment.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Danny Thompson, Len Koenecke, Cory Lidle, Lyman Bostock, Ray Chapman, Dan Frisella, Bob Moose, Ed Delahante, Hugh Casey, Jose Oliva, Andujar Cedeno…the list goes on and on.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
OK all...here is the question...should this be a tournament like we have been doing? Or, are there other ideas for how to do this? A tournament is a great way to see the cards, but I am not sure how people will feel about voting for one card over another.

Thoughts?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
A tournament seems a little disrespectful in my eyes. Valuing one life higher than another in a way, kinda not right. I think a thread with a roll call of "Taken Too Soon" would be appropriate, if thread posters would share a card, small story and circumstances of the death.

Adrian D.

Dec 7, 2008
Mid-Michigan
A tournament seems a little disrespectful in my eyes. Valuing one life higher than another in a way, kinda not right. I think a thread with a roll call of "Taken Too Soon" would be appropriate, if thread posters would share a card, small story and circumstances of the death.

Most definitely agree with this.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012

I agree too. I know your intentions are good, but a tournament doesn't seem right. I think just a memorial thread where people can share stories/pics/cards of all said players would be better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts